Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 09-08-2020, 02:41 PM

Default Self Surrender 10/21 Many questions about what I can/can't do before I SS

Hi. I pled guilty to wire fraud and tax evasion. I was sentenced on 08/28. I received 41 months. The high limit of my PSR. There are lots of emotions. I've researched so much to try to help.

I have an inmate # and am to show up at FMC Carswell - the camp.

Can I go ahead and put money on my account now?

Can I go ahead and sign up for some magazine subscription?

Do I need to have contacts go ahead and fill out visitor forms?

What can I do now to help later?

What have I not thought of?

I have read several posts on here. Some are older than others so I don't know if they are still the facts.

Thanks for everything.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2020, 03:12 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 24,120 Times in 13,831 Posts

Once you have your bop ID number, you can fund your inmate commissary/phone account. https://www.bop.gov/inmates/communications.jsp#money

Take a list of addresses, phone numbers, birthdays, etc. with you when you report, and mail yourself a duplicate copy too. You can start magazine subscriptions, but be sure to use the correct mailing address and that your name ID number appear at the top of the address label.

For inmates at the Camp:
INMATE NAME & REGISTER NUMBER
FMC CARSWELL
FEDERAL MEDICAL CENTER
SATELLITE CAMP
P.O. BOX 27137
FORT WORTH, TX 76127

Visitor's applications can wait until you meet with your counselor. Visitation is still restricted everywhere in the bop, although that may be coming to an end. Some visitors, usually those listed as immediate family in your presentence investigation report, are not required to submit visitor's applications as long as you include them on your proposed list of visitors you give to your counselor.

You will also have to provide a list of every phone number you will be able to call once you are set up on the bop inmate telephone system. You may not be able to use the phones for about a week. The counselor must activate your call list on the ITS computer, and you will have to wait until your 9 digit phone pin # arrives in the mail.

You will be asked for an emergency contact. You may also want to see if you can file a HIPAA information release form with the medical unit.

If your driver's license or other forms of identification will expire while you are locked up, try to renew them now. Medical care is available, and usually fairly appropriate, but dental care is brutal, so address that now. Flu shots are available, so since you are likely to be housed like a sardine in a can, I always tried to obtain one each year.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 09-09-2020 at 04:15 AM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
AyaStar (09-19-2020), GaReform (09-20-2020), LifeTraveler (09-08-2020), uRmylife (09-08-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 07:35 PM
Donation Award 

Another thing you might bring is all/any prescriptions you may correct?
Old 09-19-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmessexpresz View Post
Hi. I pled guilty to wire fraud and tax evasion. I was sentenced on 08/28. I received 41 months. The high limit of my PSR. There are lots of emotions. I've researched so much to try to help.

I have an inmate # and am to show up at FMC Carswell - the camp.

Can I go ahead and put money on my account now?

Can I go ahead and sign up for some magazine subscription?

Do I need to have contacts go ahead and fill out visitor forms?

What can I do now to help later?

What have I not thought of?

I have read several posts on here. Some are older than others so I don't know if they are still the facts.

Thanks for everything.

Try this, there is a link to "Preparing for Prison", a good, no-nonsense guide.

http://www.indianafederaldefender.or...ion-resources/

If you have the time, watch Justin Paperny's YouTube channel "White Collar Advice", they answer all questions you listed.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FederalPrisonAdvice

1st thing you want to do once you get there, is to drop a letter in the mail if you don't have phone account yet, to let your family know that you are ok.

And most of all, stay strong! Many people emerge from the experience in the best physical and mental shape, so will you!
Old 09-19-2020, 09:04 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 24,120 Times in 13,831 Posts

Take a list of prescriptions, not the meds themselves to a bop prison. Mine were "confiscated" and I was told they couldn't be mailed home even though they were initially mailed to me.

The triage person in reception will decide on your temporary medications (until your initial medical call-out) and the physicians assistant you eventually meet will decide your maintenance RXs. If you have a serious medical condition, make sure it is included in your PSI report, prepared for the sentencing judge by a US Probation Officer.

If not, a letter from your doctor to the bop medical director, including RX medications. diagnosis, & prognosis may help you continue to receive the prescriptions for your medical issues. The more complex they are, the more problems you will have with the bop. Simpler issues mean it should be easier to continue to receive your medications, or the cheaper generic listed in the bop's RX formulary.
https://www.bop.gov/resources/pdfs/2...ary_part_I.pdf

Last edited by fbopnomore; 09-19-2020 at 09:12 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
AyaStar (09-20-2020), GaReform (09-20-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 05:18 AM

If you wear glasses, get a brand new pair. If you have ANY dental work such as replacement fillings, etc. get them done now, as well as a dental cleaning just before you go in. Believe it or not, you’ll get through the time - just give some thought to how you might be productive while there, and stay strong. Your biggest problem will be boredom.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:05 PM

Thanked 2,485 Times in 970 Posts

I would have any medical wellness visits done ASAP since medical care is sketchy inside. You'll want to be as healthy as possible. Definitely dental because my son had no dental done for 3 years. Food won't be what you're used to but with the help of commissary you can deal with it. Don't go overboard because people will try to get some of yours.

You'll definitely want to get a pair of shower shoes (slide on ones) once you get inside. They will give you a new hairstyle so be prepared for that. It was a shock to see my son with an almost shaved head & wearing glasses. He had always had a great professional haircut & contacts before.

As for magazines, we got my son some really good ones inexpensively through Inmate Magazine Services.
https://www.inmatemagazineservice.com/index.php/en/ I wish the prices were as cheap for subscriptions for me! You might also have someone ready to send you books to read but remember they are picky about what you can get. Have a list made up but check to see what's allowed before you have them sent.
You can get through this. Just remember the people in there aren't your friends. You need to serve the time & get out.
The Following User Says Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
EyesOpening (09-25-2020)