Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Oregon that do not fit into any other Oregon sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:51 PM

Default Wildfires - what happens if they have to evacuate?

Hey don't know where to go to ask this question, so here goes. My daughter is at Coffee Creek, lots of bad wildfires happening around her. Will they evacuate the inmates if need be? How does all that work what is the official policy?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2017, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,843 Times in 3,085 Posts

MotherSharon, I moved your post into it's own thread. I'm sure you're not the only one wondering about the fires and I'd like to know if anyone has more information than I do.

If it was necessary, I'm certain they would evacuate the inmates (they wouldn't let them die!). How they would do that or where they would put them is a different matter entirely. I've spent some time hunting around and come up blank with any kind of disaster preparedness available to the public on how it would be done. My guess would be that, like medical transport, they don't want that information to be public due to the escape risks.

If I was running the show, I would probably move the whole thing out to the uninhabited parts of EOCI or would split up groups and move the women to units in the men's prisons, with the men triple bunking if necessary. For the men, they would move to wherever was safe that they could put everyone behind a fence.

I haven't heard of any wildfires around Wilsonville, so I think your daughter is in a safe (though smokey) area for now. I'm only about 15 minutes away from Coffee Creek and the smoke here is awful, though the fire is still about 60 miles from me.

I do know that if an evacuation order is given, they will evacuate, I'm just not sure how they would accomplish that. And I would guess that they don't want anyone to know what their disaster response plan is due to the escape thing. After all, we also have flooding threats and threats of earthquakes - they MUST have a disaster response plan in place to get people out as quickly as possible.

Not much of an answer, and wish I had a better, more detailed answer, answer for you, but I don't know anyone in the system whom I can ask even for vague details.