Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > CAPITAL PUNISHMENT > In Memoriam
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

In Memoriam Tributes to those who have been executed or died whilst on Death Row.

Old 07-20-2005, 10:11 PM
Yes I'm back! :)
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,185 Times in 495 Posts
Default Nicholas Rodriguez - CA - RIP - Accidental

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...w_050720222258

SAN FRANCISCO (AFP) - A murderous gang member awaiting lethal injection on California's death row died prematurely by apparently overdosing on heroin in his cell, prison officials said.

San Quentin prison guards found a spoon, syringe and heroin near 27-year-old Nicholas Rodriguez's body on July 10, prison spokesman Vernell Crittendon told AFP.

"We are of a mind that he died of a heroin overdose," Crittendon said, noting that coroner's office investigators are carrying out toxicology tests to confirm the cause of death.

"We have a drug user with prior drug history, found dead near a spoon, needle and heroin and locked alone in a cell," Crittendon continued. "If this were a mystery show on television, it would be easy to solve."

Prison officials are having a tougher time figuring out how Rodriguez, who spent 20 hours daily confined to his cell, got the heroin.

"There are a lot of policies and rules that leave room for people to bring drugs in the prison," Crittendon said. "You'll find that drugs are in all parts of our society, and prisons are no exception."

Death row inmates are allowed visitors and have opportunities to mingle with fellow condemned inmates, according to prison rules.

Rodriguez was appealing his convictions for murdering a pair of teenagers during a 2001 robbery and strangling a fellow gang member then gouging his eyes out, Crittendon said. No execution date had been set for Rodriguez.

Rodriguez's death reduces to 635 the number of men on death row in San Quentin, which lies across the bay from San Francisco, Crittendon said.

Fifteen women condemned to death are housed in a different prison in this west coast state.

Get well soon David! You are in our thoughts
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2005, 10:34 PM
Wizard of Oz Member
Donation Award 

Now, the herion is one thing, but the biggest question I have, is where did the syringe and spoon come from? How did it get there, how did he cook it up, and why was all this contraband there and no one had any idea? Amazing.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsford For This Useful Post:
Kyliie (04-29-2018)
Old 07-22-2005, 09:09 AM
Missing Him!!
Donation Award 

Default Nicholas Rodriguez CA RIP Accidental

Thursday, July 21, 2005 6:22 PM PDT

Death row inmate dies of heroin overdose

By: KIM CURTIS - Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO -- For the first time, an inmate on death row at San Quentin State Prison has died of a drug overdose.

At least that's what prison officials think happened to 27-year-old Nicholas Rodriguez, who was found unconscious in his cell on July 10. They're waiting for toxicology test results from the Marin County coroner to confirm his cause of death.

Corrections Department spokeswoman Terry Thornton said Thursday that guards found heroin, a syringe and other drug paraphernalia in Rodriguez's cell. He was declared dead at 7:17 a.m., she said.

The Los Angeles gang member was sentenced to die in 2001 for fatally shooting two teenagers while fleeing a robbery and for strangling a fellow gang member and gouging out his eyes before dumping the body in a canyon.

Thornton said there's no indication Rodriguez's death was suicide.

It's unclear how Rodriguez scored enough heroin to overdose. Drugs are fairly common in prisons, but not at all prevalent on death row, Thornton said.

She added that it's unclear whether statistics are kept on death row drug use, but said opportunities for condemned prisoners to receive contraband are limited. The 644 death row inmates use their own exercise yard and are not allowed to mix with the general prison population.

They can see visitors on weekends, but anyone from outside the prison is before coming in, and even pencils are not permitted. Inmates are strip-searched before and after every visit as well.

Care packages are carefully vetted, too. Friends and family members can only send prepackaged goods from approved vendors, which pack and deliver the shipments to San Quentin.

"It has really cut down on drugs coming in," Thornton said.

Rarely, a staff member is caught bringing in drugs, Thornton said, adding that she recalls it happening three times in the past seven years.

Only 55 death row inmates, including Rodriguez, have died since California reinstated capital punishment in 1978. Twenty-seven inmates died of natural causes, 12 were executed, 12 committed suicide, one was shot by a guard, one suffered a heart attack after a guard used pepper spray and one was stabbed by a fellow inmate, Thornton said.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:13 PM

I am speachless.......
Old 07-24-2005, 09:44 AM

i dont know what to say im in shock because he was good friends with an x-boyfriend i also have a couple of friends on death row i would hate for this to happen to one of them
Old 07-24-2005, 06:35 PM
Registered

Default Death Row Inmate OD's on Heroin (San Quentin)

Death Row Inmate OD's on Heroin
California death row inmates are alone and locked in their cells 20 of 24 hours a day. So how would one get a syringe and heroin?
A convicted murderer awaiting execution at San Quentin State Prison has died of an apparent heroin overdose -- making him California's first inmate to OD on Death Row.

Michael Camacho, the L.A. deputy district attorney who prosecuted Rodriguez for the 1999 crimes, said the apparent overdose didn't surprise him. Rodriguez had a history of drug use, he said, and drugs are easy to get in prison -- even on Death Row. "The accessibility of narcotics is rampant in the Department of Corrections, even though they would prefer not to admit it,'' Camacho said.

"It takes a minute to find a special person, an hour to appreciate them,
a day to love them and a lifetime to forget them."
Old 07-25-2005, 12:49 AM

But it can only happen to one of them IF they take drugs. Unless someone else has pushed that needle into his arm and overdosed him.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Living in Paris (France)

Full article from the San Francisco Gate:
A convicted murderer awaiting execution at San Quentin State Prison has died of an apparent heroin overdose -- making him California's first inmate to OD on Death Row.

Nicholas Rodriguez, a 27-year-old Los Angeles gang member, was sentenced to die in 2001 for shooting two teenagers to death while fleeing a robbery and for strangling a fellow gang member and gouging out his eyes before dumping the body in a canyon.

While the clock ticked on his date with a lethal injection of potassium chloride, Rodriguez somehow managed to score enough drugs and the paraphernalia to get high.

Apparently a little too high. Early the morning of July 10, Rodriguez was found unconscious in the 5-by-8 cell where he spent 20 hours a day. He was rushed to a medical triage area, where a doctor declared him dead less than 20 minutes later.

"We found a syringe and heroin, so we suspect it was that," San Quentin spokesman Vernell Crittendon said after authorities searched Rodriguez's East Block cell.

Marin County assistant coroner Gary Tindel said his office was awaiting the results of toxicology tests before declaring a cause of death. He declined to speculate whether drugs were to blame.

Corrections Department spokeswoman Terry Thornton said 42 other Death Row inmates have either committed suicide, been killed or died of natural causes during the state's nearly 30 years of record keeping. But none had died of a drug overdose until now.

Michael Camacho, the L.A. deputy district attorney who prosecuted Rodriguez for the 1999 crimes, said the apparent overdose didn't surprise him. Rodriguez had a history of drug use, he said, and drugs are easy to get in prison -- even on Death Row.

"The accessibility of narcotics is rampant in the Department of Corrections, even though they would prefer not to admit it,'' Camacho said.

Crittendon acknowledges that drugs are a real problem throughout the prison system.

In fact, of the 334 inmates who died in California in 2003 -- the most recent year for which complete records are available -- four overdosed on drugs, and two of those were from heroin.

Still, getting high on Death Row?

Crittendon said it's not all that shocking.

Rodriguez, he noted, was housed alongside some 450 other Death Row inmates and had regular contact with about 85 to 90 of them in the exercise yard.

Plus, Crittendon said, even Death Row inmates are "entitled to rights of all citizens -- all the rights of phone calls and personal visits.''

In other words, there are many channels for contraband to reach prisoners.

An in-house investigation is under way to try to determine just which channel Rodriguez used to get his fix.

To Suhr with love: The ricochet from San Francisco police Deputy Chief Greg Suhr's abrupt transfer from department command staff to guarding the city's dam and sewer system continues around City Hall.

For starters, the "done deal" doesn't appear to be all that done.

Suhr was reassigned last week after a beat cop got his head cracked in a confrontation with a splinter group of anarchist demonstrators who had gone on a rampage in the Mission District. Suhr came under fire for having pulled back the city's riot squad just before the attack.

Within days of the incident, Chief Heather Fong announced that Suhr was being reassigned to a yet-to-be-created security job at the city's Public Utilities Commission.

Fong said that the transfer had been in the works "for quite a few months" and that her intention had always been for it to happen in July.

Last week, however, as political heat mounted over handling of the Mission District protest, the move got a big push from the mayor's office. And not only was the transfer news to Suhr -- it seems PUC General Manager Susan Leal, who had been discussing the idea with Fong, wasn't all the way on board.

As much as Leal respects Suhr's credentials, she said Tuesday that the PUC wants to make sure whoever is picked is "extremely qualified.''

"This is not a dumping ground,'' she said.

Leal said an outside expert would be brought in to make sure Suhr is the right fit for the job. Leal is also holding off on any final say until Fong completes an internal report on the Mission incident.

It's no secret that Suhr and Fong had not been getting along even before the protest, and that for months, he'd been outside the chief's loop of advisers.

Suhr, however, is not fighting the change and has asked his supporters in the community not to make waves. That message appears to have taken hold, with one notable exception.

Capt. Rick Bruce of the Bayview station -- a longtime friend of Suhr's who himself was demoted from the command staff by Fong when she took over the department -- has sent the chief a letter urging her to reconsider the transfer.

"You still have time to do the right thing,'' Bruce wrote.

Bruce said the timing of Suhr's transfer sent the message to the troops that if something goes wrong, "as it does every day in police work, the 'leaders' of this department do not have your back and will offer you up as a sacrificial lamb to detract attention from themselves."

For her part, Fong said Tuesday that "I do not expect everyone to agree with me. My decisions are made based on what is good for the entire department and our responsibility to serve this city."

Slightly slighted?: It was duly noted that while Metropolitan Transportation Commission President Jon Rubin was invited to Monday's Bay Bridge deal signing by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, none of the top commission staffers got a call.

What makes this possible slight notable is that under the deal allowing construction on the eastern span's suspension portion to proceed, it's the commission that will oversee the project.

On the other hand, those same commission staffers were also some of the biggest opponents of Schwarzenegger's call to change the bridge design in midcourse, which was what the fight was all about in the first place.

For the record, Caltrans spokesman Mark DeSio said the governor's office intentionally tried to limit the size of the gathering. "It wasn't an attempt to slight anybody," he said.

Old 07-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Ken's Loving Wife

Drugs are everywhere and they are dangerous. I am sorry for those this man left behind.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:33 PM
rest in peace MrsD. . . .

I think that he must have went the way hew wanted to, within his control- he took that control away from the state. obviously this was intentional. not to condone it by any means! are the CO's in the CA prison system privately paid or state paid? I was just wondering cos I was discussing with someone that privately paid CO's sometime sell contraband to inmates to make up for the small wage they receive. even if they are state paid, obviously this man had 'friends' there.

this man's family is my prayers...

"... if commission of the crime of murder by individual man is a sin, the perpetration of the same act by society cannot be called a virtue"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillieJo For This Useful Post:
redgrl (09-28-2014), Sammy91 (09-29-2014)
Old 07-25-2005, 12:57 PM

Sad, I agree with Billie Jo, this guy probably did comitt suicide, I don't condone it, instead I condemn the conditions that made him think this was preferable. RIP, Nicholas

The Following User Says Thank You to suzeg3 For This Useful Post:
redgrl (09-28-2014)
Old 07-27-2005, 05:19 PM

ill never understand people who take drugs never ...

keep KING GEORGE IN MY HEART , KEEP ME ENGLISH
Old 07-27-2005, 05:38 PM
miserable without him

wow
Old 07-12-2011, 04:59 PM

I had a son from Nicholas Rodriguez in January of 2000 this is so sad that this has happen to him he was a good man I loved the shit out of him he never got to meet his son Luke & it kills me my son will never meet his real dad we had only talked a few times when he went down out there, he did know he had a boy and he was so happy about that... at lest I have my boy to remind me of him he looks just like his daddy....miss you nick dearly wish your family & his girls the best
Old 07-12-2011, 05:34 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,295 Times in 1,887 Posts

So sorry for your loss. I'm glad you found this memorial thread for him. People do care.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:51 AM

Unhappy lost with out a thought :(

Ya I'm glad I found this site I dnt know how to break this to our son he still don't know he is 11 years old this will break his heart..
Old 07-13-2011, 11:11 AM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,295 Times in 1,887 Posts

It's never easy. At least you can show him some kind words said about his father.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,353 Posts

R i p ... Prayers to you and your son thru this time
Old 07-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,664 Times in 3,024 Posts

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your son, Johnetta. Rest in Peace Nicholas.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:46 PM

Rip to my boy SLICK who will always b alive thru those of us who knew him he lives in our pensamientos and our hearts. Even in 2012 homie is still represented on the internet cuzz he was the kind of vato that deserve that kind of respect always.
He left on a three hour tour, wound up on giligans island, i'll never forget his big ass gap toothed smile wen he seen me at the visiting! contagious smile love u ese p/v
Old 10-27-2012, 12:00 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,953 Times in 2,167 Posts

May he rest in peace now.
This is a reminder that even "The worst of the worst" (like my loved one is labled) have those that love them and will grieve their passing.
My condolences to his loved ones.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:55 PM

Rip slick nick. I rememebr him as a kid. Turns out that it was a hit on nick. One of the people he was convicted of killing was connected. So the drugs he took had his name on it!!!
Old 09-28-2014, 05:45 PM

R.I.P. prayers for his loved ones...
Old 09-16-2015, 08:29 AM

Question nick

hey nick is my brother in law....would love to c some flicks of his boy luke...please get at me [email address removed per PTO policy, please pm member]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnettababyluk View Post
I had a son from Nicholas Rodriguez in January of 2000 this is so sad that this has happen to him he was a good man I loved the shit out of him he never got to meet his son Luke & it kills me my son will never meet his real dad we had only talked a few times when he went down out there, he did know he had a boy and he was so happy about that... at lest I have my boy to remind me of him he looks just like his daddy....miss you nick dearly wish your family & his girls the best

Last edited by Sunflow; 09-16-2015 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: email address removed per PTO policy by Sunflow
Old 09-16-2015, 08:34 AM

Default slick my boy

we was brought 2gether by your carnal porks and my sis becka...we was young...sneaking lindas pistos and popping off penguins fireworks....crazy how life turns out....u was a g....was it worth it....chale, wish u was here ...anywho u always in the hearts of your fambam and puenteros much love perro vp siempre......