Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:58 AM

Thanked 1,228 Times in 619 Posts

I recently went under my bed that has bins of stuff my kids made in school throughout the years. I saved something (alittle from each year). 4 bags of garbage later. It felt good.

I doubt they want every a they wrote when they were 3 years old when they are older. I did find some cool post cards from their deceased grandmother and saved all of them.

Little by little I will declutter my house.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
bmoreicon (12-15-2017), choclgs (12-14-2017), Kbsles (12-14-2017), MizzyMuffling (12-10-2017), xolady (12-10-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
We purged a lot before my husband SS this past week, but it is hard. My kids are now 15, 16, 16, and 20 and I can't tell you how many kids toys I still have in the basement!

One of my 16 year old daughters recently told me I couldn't get rid of the 1,000s of crayons I had. Wth? Seriously? She's a junior in high school. Forget that! I told her to tell me how many she wants because I am getting rid of the rest. Lol.

I am going to keep making a dent in what I can as I'm really contemplating moving soon after my husband gets out in Spring 2019. My twins will be graduating high school, my oldest works in San francisco, so I don't need a house like this for just my husband, me and my other son who will have one foot out the door anyway. Might as well do it when I'm young enough!

By the way, for those of you who are looking to make some extra money on junk you may have lying around your house. If you are on facebook there are tons of local virtual garage sales throughout the country. They are great. Over the past few years, I have sold so much stuff, especially of my kids. Great way to make some extra cash! You would be shocked at some of the crap people will buy.
I did this too, got rid of a ton of stuff, literally! Rented a roll off container and went crazy getting rid of stuff. Moved to a smaller place, the purge was cathartic, but then a few years down the road one of my sons got married, then a grandbaby, now when all of my kids are home I donít have enough room!!! Now I am looking for a bigger place again!!! What was I thinking!!!! Lol....
The Following User Says Thank You to Kbsles For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 06:27 AM

Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzyMuffling View Post
yeah you do

Where do you put 70 towels?
In the hall closet. I fold most of them in threes and I have about 20 extra large towels for my husband that I have to roll because they are so big.

The Following User Says Thank You to nygirl17 For This Useful Post:
bmoreicon (12-15-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 06:42 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,269 Times in 1,087 Posts

Oh boy...
Old 12-15-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
I recently went under my bed that has bins of stuff my kids made in school throughout the years. I saved something (alittle from each year). 4 bags of garbage later. It felt good.

I doubt they want every a they wrote when they were 3 years old when they are older. I did find some cool post cards from their deceased grandmother and saved all of them.

Little by little I will declutter my house.
They don't! I have so much of that crap in my basement of my kids (of course the most from my first kid way back to even when he was in day care), but it's me who can't depart with it. He could care less.

I've gotten better about it with my older kids. Recently I came across some old ceramic things they made and when asked if they wanted them to show to their kids when they're older (my kids are teenagers) they said NO. So, in the trash they went!
Old 12-15-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
In the hall closet. I fold most of them in threes and I have about 20 extra large towels for my husband that I have to roll because they are so big.
Ok, seriously? You don't really need 20 large towels do you? How about this, it's year-end tax planning and taxes (well assuming their tax plan doesn't go to shit in the next few days) will be decreasing in 2018, so that means your tax rate for this year may be higher, so you want as many deductions as possible, so why don't you TRY to find 5 of those towels that you really don't need and donate them to charity? Trust me you'll feel better.

I'll even tell you what, I have a bad habit of being so cheap, I keep ratty towels that have threads hanging even though we have plenty of towels here as well (I have 4 kids though!). If you get rid of some, I'll also get rid of some!! And trust me, that is hard for me too. Let me know.

Come on you can do some purging there. That reminds me of my mother in law. She recently moved, she's 88 and I swear she must have had 100 dish towels. Refused to get rid of them. Well, once she moved and saw no room in the tiny kitchen (independent living apartment) she knew she had to get rid of some). I'm not exaggerating either.

ps. What I would really like to do while my husband is in prison, is get rid of his god awful turtlenecks that he thinks are "cool" that are probably from when I was still in high school! Haha. I'm so not kidding on that one! 10 year age difference with us! Has anyone done that? Gotten rid of any of their husbands stuff (or wive's) that they thought was so hideous when they were gone. Trust me, my husband called me a Saint two days ago so right now I'm walking on water in his eyes so maybe he won't be mad! Hahaha anyone have a fire pit??? Seriously though, has anyone done that?
Old 12-15-2017, 08:19 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 25,856 Times in 13,261 Posts

I did get rid of a bunch of my hubs clothing at least what I could reach.
but never would I ever get rid of his junior high school jacket. lol.
He'd kill me.
(I seriously think it still fits him)

I keep ratty towels too. We have a dog. need I say more???
(he loves to play ball and does not care if he's muddy or wet. So those towels come in handy.....or should I say..paw-dy)

I think I collect dust.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 12-15-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
I did get rid of a bunch of my hubs clothing at least what I could reach.
but never would I ever get rid of his junior high school jacket. lol.
He'd kill me.
(I seriously think it still fits him)

I keep ratty towels too. We have a dog. need I say more???
(he loves to play ball and does not care if he's muddy or wet. So those towels come in handy.....or should I say..paw-dy)

I think I collect dust.
No dogs here, but they are good for rags, etc. Ok, mine doesn't have his jr high school jacket, but does have some hideous college windbreaker. Like he's ever going to wear that thing again. Ok yes, it's a prestigious college, but he hasn't worn it ever since I've known him, and seriously, who would be caught dead in it anyway. He actually was supposed to move all his coats to the basement before he left and I just realized he didn't!

But the turtlenecks. I should get rid of. He also must have 100 tshirts so I bet if I went through some of those he wouldn't miss some. I think his ex wife used to do that, but I can't. I wouldn't like it if someone did that to me, but hey this is different. Lol.

At least he has his own bedroom closet so I don't have to look at it. Maybe in the summer I'll get in the mood and just do it. He did clean his stuff out at least before he left so that is something.

More importantly, is how do I get my kids to purge their stuff. I have 2 daughters who will be 17 next Friday who continuously tell me they have no clothes, yet I am always buying them clothes. I then find things still with the tags on them that they never have worn! And they don't seem to give away anything, so how could they have NO clothes? The worst is finding the Lululemon tank with the tag on it!! I should make her pay me back before i buy something new. Hah. Teenagers!
Old 12-15-2017, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,073 Times in 10,219 Posts

My problem is not so much collecting things as it is having multiple hobbies/job requirements. I needed woodworking tools (saws, clamps, router, etc.), saddles and bridles and horse blankets (often left behind when a horse moved on or died), glass saw, panes and panes of colored glass, and BOOKS!

When I moved, I put the saddles (8 extra ones) on consignment, winnowed out some tools (and bolts and nails and screws), all the paperbacks went to the local prison, the rest to a church book sale, donated a bunch of stuff to the local community service organization (beds, blankets, pillows, etc.), stuff like that - that was 50 shopping bags to the prison and another 20 feed bags-worth to the church, all packaged up in the solid plastic bags like the ones referenced above for quilts, and on it went. And threw a bunch of stuff out - about a dump truck load's worth. But I'd been there for 23 years, through 4 kids and a couple of roommates who all left things behind.
choclgs (12-17-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (12-15-2017), sidewalker (12-18-2017)
Old 12-15-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Ok, seriously? You don't really need 20 large towels do you? How about this, it's year-end tax planning and taxes (well assuming their tax plan doesn't go to shit in the next few days) will be decreasing in 2018, so that means your tax rate for this year may be higher, so you want as many deductions as possible, so why don't you TRY to find 5 of those towels that you really don't need and donate them to charity? Trust me you'll feel better.

I'll even tell you what, I have a bad habit of being so cheap, I keep ratty towels that have threads hanging even though we have plenty of towels here as well (I have 4 kids though!). If you get rid of some, I'll also get rid of some!! And trust me, that is hard for me too. Let me know.

Come on you can do some purging there. That reminds me of my mother in law. She recently moved, she's 88 and I swear she must have had 100 dish towels. Refused to get rid of them. Well, once she moved and saw no room in the tiny kitchen (independent living apartment) she knew she had to get rid of some). I'm not exaggerating either.

ps. What I would really like to do while my husband is in prison, is get rid of his god awful turtlenecks that he thinks are "cool" that are probably from when I was still in high school! Haha. I'm so not kidding on that one! 10 year age difference with us! Has anyone done that? Gotten rid of any of their husbands stuff (or wive's) that they thought was so hideous when they were gone. Trust me, my husband called me a Saint two days ago so right now I'm walking on water in his eyes so maybe he won't be mad! Hahaha anyone have a fire pit??? Seriously though, has anyone done that?
Thanks for the advice but I will not be getting rid of any towels. And yes we do need this Many we have a large family and we live on the beach so in the summer we pretty much live there and when family comes for the weekend with their boat and our jet skis we use alot of towels. And my husband is 6'4" tall he likes his towels big.
And no I haven't gotten rid of any of my husband things. We actually perged alot of his clothes a few months before he left so all of his clothes are new and most still have tags on them. I've bought him clothes and shoes since he's been gone along with two totes full of random stuff. He's spoiled

Old 12-15-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
My problem is not so much collecting things as it is having multiple hobbies/job requirements. I needed woodworking tools (saws, clamps, router, etc.), saddles and bridles and horse blankets (often left behind when a horse moved on or died), glass saw, panes and panes of colored glass, and BOOKS!

When I moved, I put the saddles (8 extra ones) on consignment, winnowed out some tools (and bolts and nails and screws), all the paperbacks went to the local prison, the rest to a church book sale, donated a bunch of stuff to the local community service organization (beds, blankets, pillows, etc.), stuff like that - that was 50 shopping bags to the prison and another 20 feed bags-worth to the church, all packaged up in the solid plastic bags like the ones referenced above for quilts, and on it went. And threw a bunch of stuff out - about a dump truck load's worth. But I'd been there for 23 years, through 4 kids and a couple of roommates who all left things behind.
Wow that is awesome! Must have been hard, but great job and so charitable.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
Thanks for the advice but I will not be getting rid of any towels. And yes we do need this Many we have a large family and we live on the beach so in the summer we pretty much live there and when family comes for the weekend with their boat and our jet skis we use alot of towels. And my husband is 6'4" tall he likes his towels big.
And no I haven't gotten rid of any of my husband things. We actually perged alot of his clothes a few months before he left so all of his clothes are new and most still have tags on them. I've bought him clothes and shoes since he's been gone along with two totes full of random stuff. He's spoiled
It was not meant to offend you, but if anything, your reply did make me realize that it is just "stuff" and while I have a large family too (I have 4 kids) plus extended family, and my husband is also 6'4 and likes to use bath sheets, so we use a lot (two words, not one), of towels and I am ok doing many load of laundry, I realize there is no need for that amount of excess when there are many people out in this world (including on this site) that are in a much worse situation that I am, hence, it has made me realize I don't need to have the dozens upon dozens of towels (or sheets or clothes or whatever junk we have here new or old) and as soon as we get back from our Christmas vacation, am going to go through my closet, my kids closets, my linen closets, and get rid of all that extra damn stuff once and for all. I do laundry 3-4 times a week, so getting rid of a dozen towels now will not make a dent. If we should happen to need them down the road, then we can always replace them, but there is no chance that we will be using 20 towels at one sitting, that is for sure, and I know there are plenty of needy people out there that can use them this minute.

Spoiling someone has nothing to do with it. I wouldn't bother buying my husband anything now because if he changes sizes, which is likely, then I will be out the money spent. Further, if I lay out $1,000 now to buy him clothes, that's $1,000 less that I will be able to invest somewhere else and have more later for when he is out. Doesn't make sense to have cash sitting there when it can be working for you. Besides the fact, I would hate to buy something like his damn turtlenecks that go out of style between now and then. He has plenty of new clothes and he did go through his closet before he left. He just won't get rid of some of the old things he is in love with.

But regardless, it has felt good purging and you gave me the push I needed to do more purging because as I've said, there are a lot more people out there that need these things more than me. Thanks!
Old 12-15-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
It was not meant to offend you, but if anything, your reply did make me realize that it is just "stuff" and while I have a large family too (I have 4 kids) plus extended family, and my husband is also 6'4 and likes to use bath sheets, so we use a lot (two words, not one), of towels and I am ok doing many load of laundry, I realize there is no need for that amount of excess when there are many people out in this world (including on this site) that are in a much worse situation that I am, hence, it has made me realize I don't need to have the dozens upon dozens of towels (or sheets or clothes or whatever junk we have here new or old) and as soon as we get back from our Christmas vacation, am going to go through my closet, my kids closets, my linen closets, and get rid of all that extra damn stuff once and for all. I do laundry 3-4 times a week, so getting rid of a dozen towels now will not make a dent. If we should happen to need them down the road, then we can always replace them, but there is no chance that we will be using 20 towels at one sitting, that is for sure, and I know there are plenty of needy people out there that can use them this minute.

Spoiling someone has nothing to do with it. I wouldn't bother buying my husband anything now because if he changes sizes, which is likely, then I will be out the money spent. Further, if I lay out $1,000 now to buy him clothes, that's $1,000 less that I will be able to invest somewhere else and have more later for when he is out. Doesn't make sense to have cash sitting there when it can be working for you. Besides the fact, I would hate to buy something like his damn turtlenecks that go out of style between now and then. He has plenty of new clothes and he did go through his closet before he left. He just won't get rid of some of the old things he is in love with.

But regardless, it has felt good purging and you gave me the push I needed to do more purging because as I've said, there are a lot more people out there that need these things more than me. Thanks!
Was not offended just saying I'm not getting rid of mine lol. Glad I could help you out though. And as far as buying things for my husband I do the same when he's home. I'll go to the store to buy myself something I need and I'll come home with stuff for him. And he's the same way. So it's normal for me to buy him things I see that I know he will like. As far as buying clothes I've bought him a handful of pajama pants about ten pair of basketball shorts because he wears them all the time and a few shirts. All which would fit him now and if he lost more weight. And several things he's asked me for and I will be buying him tickets to a lions game for November. After we get the parole ok because I would be upset if he didn't get parole and I wasted the money.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:39 AM

I have tons of shopping bags too!
But my problem is make-up, I have make-up products that I've been keeping for YEARS, thinking I might use them some day. I have mascaras dating back 5-6 years that I will not be able to use anymore. I think I needed this thread to finally get rid of them! (Ok, now I'm embarrassed).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to +VERDE+ For This Useful Post:
MizzyMuffling (12-18-2017), sidewalker (12-18-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 07:29 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 25,856 Times in 13,261 Posts

I only have a few things as far as make up.
But now that you mention it, I should toss a few of those too as Ive had them a pretty long time now. Mostly mascara and eyeliner.
Since I almost never use eye shadow....I should probably toss that too. I think Ive had it for about 5 yrs...maybe more.
The mascara is newer.......

I think if you smell the mascara and it smells sour or funny....you should toss it out even if it still works. Dont want an eye infection.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
xolady (12-18-2017)