Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment w/a Criminal Record
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Employment w/a Criminal Record Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:58 AM

Thanked 1,452 Times in 797 Posts
Default Is the advice in these articles good?

Somehow it comes across as what somebody would write if they were guessing what ought to work.

https://www.monster.com/career-advic...riminal-Record, which says to list the correctional facility jobs as work experience

This is embarrassing. I have so many browser tabs open I can't find the other articles.

EDIT: turning them up the hard way.

https://www.monster.com/career-advic...usiness-pledge lists hiring businesses but more usefully has surveys of hiring managers. A key thing they want is a steady work history.

https://www.monster.com/career-advic...interview-1126 talks about what to say in an interview, if you somehow get that far. The author's advice is to bring up the conviction early on in the conversation. She's from Defy Ventures, so she is worth listening to.

Last edited by Minor activist; 07-20-2018 at 11:06 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Minor activist For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-20-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2018, 09:44 PM

Thanked 1,481 Times in 594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor activist View Post
Somehow it comes across as what somebody would write if they were guessing what ought to work.

https://www.monster.com/career-advic...riminal-Record, which says to list the correctional facility jobs as work experience

This is embarrassing. I have so many browser tabs open I can't find the other articles.

EDIT: turning them up the hard way.

https://www.monster.com/career-advic...usiness-pledge lists hiring businesses but more usefully has surveys of hiring managers. A key thing they want is a steady work history.

https://www.monster.com/career-advic...interview-1126 talks about what to say in an interview, if you somehow get that far. The author's advice is to bring up the conviction early on in the conversation. She's from Defy Ventures, so she is worth listening to.

I don't know if it works for some people but it hasn't worked for my son. He has tried applying at large & small businesses. He has tried telling them in the interview & after the offer is made. He has tried telling the recruiter before they schedule the interview with the company. Nothing has worked. Once they hear he has a felony within the past 7 years, the job offer is rescinded & no one responds to calls or emails. He's the same guy that just aced the interview & was offered the great job but the felony means more than any skills he might have. We have to move beyond Ban the Box & Ban The Bias.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:45 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,742 Posts

I think it depends largely on the industry you're looking for work in...and the type of crime committed. I work in wastewater treatment and we hire felons all the time. My ex was a plumber/HVAC tech and he never had a problem finding work. My fiance is a pipe fitter/machine operator in a mechanical setting building water/wastewater treatment facilities and he has a great job plus job offers all over the country. I think more technical jobs, jobs working in more of a corporate field would be much more difficult for a felon...however, I know a couple who (while on gang enhancement parole) went on to get a degree and get jobs in engineering.

I don't think this is a one size fits all. Too many variables.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:12 PM

I've done a lot of work in mechanical roles... mostly automotive. I have never run into a technical job that turned me down based on my felony record. That being said, I couldn't get a job in retail to save my life. Technical jobs have had a hard time recruiting for years.... so they don't have the luxury of turning people down for felonies.
A friend of mine, with a similar background, finished his degree and has a job in marketing.
the moral of this is, some avenues will be much harder then others, but there are ways to go if you are flexible. also, time and work history make a very big difference. If his industry wont take him now..... maybe he can get back in if he puts work into a similar field and gets time on his resume. Lots of places don't check farther then 7 years these days.
Just a thought.
(btw I recently PASSED my first background check - I nearly fainted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corey773 For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (09-09-2018), Rickpnj (Today)
Old 09-09-2018, 04:43 PM
Liz

Thanked 1,121 Times in 434 Posts

Congrats Corey.