Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:16 AM

Default Son in Seg: Who can I talk to in Huntsville?

I need help. we are going on the 3rd week of my son, being put in Seg for his own protection according to Warden Stuart Calhoun at the Gurney Unit at Palestine TX. Long story short A man that rapped my sons 13 year old daugher that was convicted and sentenced to 15 years was put on the same unit as my son. I was worried what would happen if my son, saw him so I called Warden Calhoun and let him know the problem. My son was put in Seg. According to Warden Calhoun my son is not in Seg for being in trouble, it would not be put in his file at all and is not in there for punishment. But being I was the one that called he had to move my son. Warden Calhoun said he has let Huntsville know and they will move one or both.

Well My son is being punished. He has lost his privileges to use of the phone, commissary, watch TV and any interaction of people. He also lost his job in the kitchen that he loved and his class that he was taking. We are not able to have contact visits and when he does come to visit, through glass on a phone, he is in handcuffs. Loel has worked hard to do good in there not to be put in this type of situation. He has not had any type of write up or trouble at all. The last letter I got from my son he has gone into a depression and does not understand why he is still in Seg being his child's rapist was put in the same unit and he did nothing wrong. I have just learned that my cancer has returned and with my son worried about me his daughter and now being put in Seg for no reason is really weighing on him.

He goes up for parole 10/17/17 and looks like it might be granted.

If you can tell me who I can talk to in Huntsville to get this moving a little quicker. Talking to Warden Calhoun is no help, he says being I called he had to move my son l and he has put in the paperwork to get one or both moved.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2018, 09:32 AM

Thanked 2,606 Times in 1,639 Posts

I don't know how that works there but here there isn't much you can do about it. My husband was in seg once for his protection and it took a month. You just have to sit and wait.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl17 View Post
I don't know how that works there but here there isn't much you can do about it. My husband was in seg once for his protection and it took a month. You just have to sit and wait.
Thank you for your response. I hope it dont take much longer than that. Hopefully he will be paroled out the end of September.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmother View Post
Thank you for your response. I hope it dont take much longer than that. Hopefully he will be paroled out the end of September.
Yes I hope so to.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:16 AM

Thank you for your response. Makes me almost wished I had never called and let them know. Hopefully he will be out on parole the end of September.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:09 AM

I had a similar issue with tdcj
I wrote the Omsbudman and filed a complaint in Huntsville. Amazing how fast they change the way they treated him when they knew someone out here was fighting for him.
Good luck! It’s a hard thing to deal with but don’t give up. The more you call and write they will eventually listen.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:29 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 18,524 Times in 6,714 Posts

Quote:
Thank you for your response. Makes me almost wished I had never called and let them know. Hopefully he will be out on parole the end of September.
Just a statement in general: it's rarely a good idea to intervene on your LO's behalf if it's something they can handle themselves. I know it's hard, perhaps especially as a parent, but more often than not outside interference ends up poorly for our loved one inside.

I'm sorry all of this happened, from the co-housing of the two to ending up in seg. You might be best to let your son handle this from here out and best of luck with the upcoming parole hearing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
patchouli (Yesterday), safran (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 06:13 PM

Thanked 10,907 Times in 5,919 Posts

He is NOT in segregation. He was moved to transient status after YOU called the warden and made a claim of a potential life-in-danger situation. That means he gets moved pending the investigation and, in this case, pending a transfer.

This is a situation that he should have taken care of on his own. Had HE gone to classification on his own, I doubt he would have been looking at this scenario.

ALL you can do now is wait for one or both to be transferred. You may not like where he ends up. Next time, let him fight his OWN battles. And he WILL have more since he now ALSO has a snitch jacket on his back.

It will have no impact on his parole situation precisely because he is not in a disciplinary status nor is he in Security Detention. As such, ALL of the Board's voting options remain available.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (Yesterday), miamac (08-12-2018), safran (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
He is NOT in segregation. He was moved to transient status after YOU called the warden and made a claim of a potential life-in-danger situation. That means he gets moved pending the investigation and, in this case, pending a transfer.

This is a situation that he should have taken care of on his own. Had HE gone to classification on his own, I doubt he would have been looking at this scenario.

ALL you can do now is wait for one or both to be transferred. You may not like where he ends up. Next time, let him fight his OWN battles. And he WILL have more since he now ALSO has a snitch jacket on his back.

It will have no impact on his parole situation precisely because he is not in a disciplinary status nor is he in Security Detention. As such, ALL of the Board's voting options remain available.
I did not tell the warden his live was in danger. I let him know that there could be a situation with both of them in the same unit being he had raped my sons 13 year old daughter. as for as a SNITCH JACKET on his back the other people he was housed with did not know why he was moved. Some do now and they don't like it that my son was the one moved they think it should have been the other guy.
Unless you know exactly what is going on don't give advise or make statements like SNITCH JACKET.
Old Yesterday, 02:56 AM

Thanked 10,907 Times in 5,919 Posts

Quote:
I did not tell the warden his live was in danger. I let him know that there could be a situation with both of them in the same unit being he had raped my sons 13 year old daughter. as for as a SNITCH JACKET on his back the other people he was housed with did not know why he was moved. Some do now and they don't like it that my son was the one moved they think it should have been the other guy.
Unless you know exactly what is going on don't give advise or make statements like SNITCH JACKET.

1) your call WILL have been interpreted as an LID situation
2) this is my career (into the fourth decade now and basically about as long as your son has been alive)
3) are you so naive as to believe that word does not spread around a unit?

There are times where inmates knew about a warden's departure to another facility before the warden did (as well as in cases of other promotions and departures).

Through the course of the investigation, the OTHER offender is ALSO going to be advised of why THEY got yanked from population and looked at for a move AND why he has a NFSUA designator added to his record. Word spreads. And it does so very quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
safran (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:09 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't worry to much about him being considered a snitch. He wasn't snitching!!!!! You have enough to worry about. What's done is done let's hope he's transferred soon and move on hope you have a good day.