Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:36 AM

Default What do we do?

Hello everyone, I am confussed and so its my husband, can someone explain the process on how to file a Interstate compact agreement? or that has to be done by the jail itself? if so what is it that he has to do to get this going, does he go to classification office? or where to ask for this to be done, we are so lost in this, I am in NJ and he's in Virginia, can a lawyer file this Interstate compact agreement? and if so those the lawyer has to be in the sending State or a lawyer in the receiving state could do it? I am sorry to ask so many questions but time is going by fast and he has a 6 months to file this agreement and we want to know how to not make any mistakes and get it right the first time around, it will be for probation or parole supervision in NJ.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2011, 10:20 AM

1. The offender must request that an Interstate Transfer be intiated.
2. A lawyer will not be of any help, as the Interstate Compact is federal law that governs the transfer of offender supervision between the states, and state Courts have no jurisdiciton, and federal Courts cannot force one state to accep the supervision of an offender from another state.
3. If he is in prison, then there should be a counselor available that can complete the paperwork. If he is in a local jail, then he will most likely have to wait until release and his meeting iwth the PO to complete the application.
4. He cannot file the paperwork until he is within 120 days of release.
5. The type of supervision (probation or parole) in NJ will be the same as it is if he was under supervision in VA, it will not change from probation to parole or vice versa.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:21 PM

Hi, thank you so much for your responce but yes he's at a Regional Jail in Porthsmouth VA. and I am in New Jersey, meaning that when they release him he has no one or nowhere to go! all he's family is in NJ including me he's wife. So what about he if put in a request to serve the rest of he's time in a NJ jail? can he possibly do that? and if not when they release him how long is that process of the trasfer request take?
Old 07-17-2011, 04:34 AM

If he's in a regional jail, they MAY, but now always, have staff that can submit the paperwork. However, they most likely do not, but I don't work near the tidewater area, so I don't know their staffing situation in that respect. Also, if he's in a jail, they will almost certainly not pay to have him housed in another state. They're not really even doing that with inmates in state prisons. That's generally only done due to security reasons.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:29 PM

Arrow

what are colorado's requirements for interstate compact? Colorado being the receiving state. I know the state has to follow icaos regs....i am most interested in Colorado's statues and regs to get someone transferred into Colorado. I have to assume each state has its own regs along with that of icaos feds
Old 07-17-2011, 05:10 PM

No, each state does not have additional regulations regarding IC. The purpose of the IC is to create uniformity among the states regarding how to transfer, who to accept, when to accept, etc.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:22 PM

Thanked 4,951 Times in 3,184 Posts

Fretful53 and kaos44,

I don't know if this will help, but the Interstate Compact Website has a lot of information. I wish you both the best of luck!

[/color][/size][/center]

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renee For This Useful Post:
JustWondering2 (09-02-2011), space tourist (07-28-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 06:41 AM
Waiting 4 My Dream 2 Come

Hello I have a question. My boyfriend is up for his min in p.a in June 2012. He expressed to his counselor that he would like to come home to NY. They gave him the paper work he was going to submit it end of the month but I just read the application has to be 120 days before his min. Am I correct to believe that he should put it in in Feb when he around that day reminding. He also has to do time in a hwh house (Pa) should he wait till he gets his greensheet saying he was granted parole to begin with.

Basically would like to know when would be best to submit.

Thanks in advance
<3 Est: 10:19:03 <3

Once in a while right in the middle of an ordinary life, love can sneak up & give u a fairytale.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:28 AM

Interstate Compact paperwork can only be submitted within 120 days of release. So he is submitting it way to early at this point. if he's going to a halfway house, then he's still not released, so he'll have to be within 120 days of total release from all forms of incarceration.
The Following User Says Thank You to VA PO For This Useful Post:
msonlydabest (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Waiting 4 My Dream 2 Come

Thanks I guess we should wait until he see Paroles and he knows the deal. Thank you
<3 Est: 10:19:03 <3

Once in a while right in the middle of an ordinary life, love can sneak up & give u a fairytale.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:57 AM

My fiancee is being paroled in NH in November, but he has expressed to me that he wants to come back to his home state of MA where his entire family lives (kids, parents, siblings...) He told me that he will wait to transfer after he is released to a rooming house in NH. Will he be allowed to transfer if he's been released more than 120 days, or does he need to apply for a transfer BEFORE he is released? Will he be bound to NH for the remainder of his parole? I am so confused by all these policies and rules.. I'm sorry it's stressing me out. :-(
Old 08-10-2011, 01:46 PM

He can only apply within 120 days of release from all incarceration, halfway houses included. He doesn't need to wait until he's on parole, he can apply before.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:18 PM

Okay , we've been approved and have ACCEPTANCE for our son to parole to our house. Sending state rec'd the approval last Thursday, August 25th. What happens next? How long will it take the sending state (GA) to actually release him? Basically all they will tell me is .......nothing.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:23 AM

Arrow Out of state transfer while on parole

Hi i am currently on parole. I've been out for 1 year and 5 months. I have another yr and a half to go. I live in california but want to move to Indiana to start a new life for me and my daughter. Is it possible for me to get a transfer? I got a letter from the human resource manager stating I have a job waiting for me paying $12.00 an hour and I have a cousin willing to take me in to her house. She has no criminal background and her husband is in the military. Is there anything else I can do to better my chances to get my transfer approved? I have never given a dirty test and i have followed all of my rules for parole. Please help! Your advice will be greatly appreciated
Old 09-05-2011, 12:49 PM

It's possible to get the transfer, but you'll be considered a discretionary transfer. The husband will need to remove all firearms from the house, though. Basically, you'll need to submit the interstate compact request through your PO.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:41 PM

Default 45 days almost up? Interstate compact ri to ca

Hey everyone I'm a little confused and worried with my insterstae compact and looking for a couple answers.... Ok here it goes.... I live in rhode island and they have sent my interstate compact out a while ago to California. Wensday will be 45 business days from the day they had sent it out. My po says we are playing the waiting game as of now. I've called Cali po and my name isn't in there computer and the interstate investigator is never in and I have left her a message or two to try and check my status of my transfer I've never received a call back. She has called my sister about three weeks ago to check up with her but she never calle my job or visited the house??... My big question is if they have 45 days to answer my transfer and they don't answer it by then is it an instant deny or approval or is it more waiting? And if they make deadlines why do I have to jump threw hoops and they can take there sweet time? How long do they expect a job to be held for any one that is really trying to better there life? Also I've been out of prison over two years I have simple drug charges nothing crazy so I don't see a reason to deny me I have a full time job I'm nothin but a good tax paying citizen now lol well any answers to my delimia would be much appreciated thank you
Old 09-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom401 View Post
Hey everyone I'm a little confused and worried with my insterstae compact and looking for a couple answers.... Ok here it goes.... I live in rhode island and they have sent my interstate compact out a while ago to California. Wensday will be 45 business days from the day they had sent it out. My po says we are playing the waiting game as of now. I've called Cali po and my name isn't in there computer and the interstate investigator is never in and I have left her a message or two to try and check my status of my transfer I've never received a call back. She has called my sister about three weeks ago to check up with her but she never calle my job or visited the house??... My big question is if they have 45 days to answer my transfer and they don't answer it by then is it an instant deny or approval or is it more waiting? And if they make deadlines why do I have to jump threw hoops and they can take there sweet time? How long do they expect a job to be held for any one that is really trying to better there life? Also I've been out of prison over two years I have simple drug charges nothing crazy so I don't see a reason to deny me I have a full time job I'm nothin but a good tax paying citizen now lol well any answers to my delimia would be much appreciated thank you
I might be recalling this information incorrectly, but I think your 45 days doesn't start until the receiving state has the information. And it's 45 business days. I transferred from Michigan to California last year and it was submitted in June and I left the end of July so they were pretty fast, but they said it depends on the size of the county you are transferring to and the case loads of the agents.

Good luck. I hope you hear soon.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:03 PM

I had put my interstate compact in I think July 26 and my po had said he sent it that day he's pretty cool so i know he's not being a dick. He told me to call him the 29th if it has not be accepted yet but if it isn't accepted in the 45 days what do they do?
Old 09-28-2011, 06:40 AM

If you don't have an answer by day 45, you just wait longer.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:06 AM

So what's the point of a deadline if they're not going to meet it I've jumped threw my hoops they should do it as well right?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:44 AM

Its a deadline that all the states are SUPPOSED to respect. However, each state is loathe to sue another state for non-compliance, because then they would be blackballed.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:43 AM

I have a question about this interstate transfer, my husband is on state parole in PA, he has been out of prison on parole since Dec, 2010. he has held a job, had not had any violations since his realease, we are and have been planning to move to Alabama and we are now worried about the outcome of this, as far as we know PA is fine with it... My brothers and sister in law are the only family we have there, my brother is the primary residence we used for the paperwork and where we will be staying untill we find out own palce, through a friend of my brothers, there will be a job for him there at the supposed time this is supposed to take they told us 6-8 weeks in which this is what was told to the job, i am not sure if they will hold the job if it takes longer, according to his PO it could be up to January before we hear anything.... his PO has called my brother as well as the job that he would be working at if we do infact go there end of Nov.... now my question is how hard is it to get accepted in alabama? do they look at his entire record? he has no violent charges on his record at all, so what would be the chances of the paperwork getting approved considering that its my family and not his that lives down there?
thank you
Old 11-02-2011, 12:21 AM
1 Heart, 1 Soul, 2 Bodies

Default Out of state parole question

Just wondering what to expect and the timeline on these things. My husband is up for parole in June and if he is paroled he will come home to me in Washington state. Does anyone know what the process is and what can I expect to happen? I am already creating a porfolio of sorts for the parole board that includes letters of support from the community. So, if he is granted parole what happens next? Will I be able to pick him up and bring him home or do they have to arrange transportation? How long does it usually take for them to complete everything needed and release him? Sorry for so many questions but it has been 4 1/2 years and I am a bucket of nerves with not knowing what to expect. Thanks for any info.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:44 AM

I think u have to put a request in to parole to a different state, I dont know details but have read about it on pto and they also said u need to start the transfer paper work asap
Old 11-02-2011, 01:29 AM
1 Heart, 1 Soul, 2 Bodies

Thanks for the response. I am trying to get an understanding of what to expect, the not knowing drives me nuts. If there is something I can do to help the process along then I am all over it and it will help the time go by quicker.