Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:28 PM

Location: Originally Maine, then MA, NY and now back in New Englad area

Greetings,

Answers:

1. Family as defined by the compact rules are: Spouse, parents, step parents, adult siblings, auts/uncles, grandparents or legal gaurdians.

2. I think it is best to apply as soon as his instatition will allow since it takes so long to be precessed. The compact will allow someone beong parolled to apply at the 120 day or less projected release date.

3. Yes, if the wife has no dequalifying factos it's the best reason to allow a transfer.

And yes, I believe all those questions have already been answered on this thread But I'm glad to be of assistance and help you advoid reading an hour worth of post.

Searcher
Old 01-10-2006, 07:11 AM

Thumbs up

Greetings Searcher,

Thank you so much for your answers! And as I said before, thank God you are a part of the PTO family !! I appreciate you and the important information you provide !

Best regards

Jala

PS. I will be going through this entire thread little by little till I get it all read

Old 01-10-2006, 01:55 PM

Wow, I must have been in a big hurry last night because I am just now seeing that my last response is a mangled mess of typos, spelling errors and just a train wreck. I hope you could make out what I was saying. I'm not the best typist and normally take my time so my bad typing skills are not so obvious.

Searcher
Old 01-10-2006, 09:10 PM

Greetings Searcher,

Not to worry, Searcher. The information you provided I comprehended very well!! Again, I thank you for all you do, and praise the Creator, you are a part of this PTO forum! Again and again and again and still the fact remains--I appreciate you, and in response to you most recent reply, I will confess, I APPRECIATE YOU AND YOUR INPUT ABOUT THE QUESTION OF MY CONCERN, VERY MUCH

Jala

Old 01-17-2006, 03:38 PM

Hi Searcher. I'm hoping you can help me or at least give me some peace of mind. My husband and I are in the middle of this Interstate Compact thing and it has been a total mess from the word go. I'm in MS and he is in GA. First, the prison was late in sending the paperwork. Then the IC office in Atlanta lost his paperwork. When they re-requested the paper the prison sent it but it turns out they had filled out the wrong forms. So all that had to be redone. Now the paperwork is sitting on the desk of the probation office in my husband's conviction county. I called today and the probation officer hopes he can send it off this week. I'm at my wits end because Will gets out March 3rd. That's less than 45 days away! Should I throw up my hands and give up hope that this will be taken care of before Will gets out? If all this paperwork is not processed before Will's release is there any hope that we will be granted an emergency transfer? Will has absolutely no place to stay in GA when released and I seem to be the only who cares.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:44 PM

Not necessarily my own professional position but let me respond the semi official way:

You are the only one that cares! He was convicted of committing a crime in GA so the system is not concerned so much as to how to make his life easier when he gets out as they feel he created this situation and must live with all the consequences of those actions. You will not likely find someone in the criminal justice system willing to drop all their other work to help your man's release be easier. So, what do you do from here? Not much YOU can do. This process will be between him and the DOC. As for “Emergency Transfer Request”, it’s called "Request For Reporting Instructions" and MS would have to accept GA explanation of his "emergency" explanation. If they do he is allowed to move MS pending investigation and acceptance of MS. It helps if he was a legal resident of MS at the time of the offense and that he had not established residency in GA when he committed the offense. Also, if he can show he has no family ties to GA but has ties to MS than that helps. This "emergency request" is not clearly defined by the compact rules and it is the burden of the sending state to convince the receiving stat to accept the "emergency situation". The US has buckled down with allowing convicted people from traveling from state to state to protect the general public. We can't pick and choose by individual case and offense as this would be impractical so we have an Interstate Compact to assist us. Is it perfect? No, but this newest revised one is better defined and has more accountability to states who abuse the rules and in the long run I think this will help the public and the offender. Please feel free to ask more questions on this topic and I will be glad to try and answer your questions.

Searcher
Old 01-17-2006, 08:45 PM

Thanks. I guess I just need to try and relax(yeah right).
Old 01-19-2006, 06:17 PM
RideorDieChick

God Bless You Searcher. I have been wondering about the procedure that has to be done before an inmate can be paroled to another state. My question is: What if the person spouse is in another state does that automatically make them eligible for the transfer? Can the inmate change their address while they are inside?

Until the Love Of My Life Comes Home

<CENTER>

</CENTER></CENTER>
Old 01-19-2006, 08:05 PM

Well sort of, there are other basic criteria such as a valid plan of supervising (in that the home plan is acceptable and all the things that come with that). Also, just being married doesn't make it a qualification. The relative has to have been a legal resident of the state for 6 months and if he doesn't have a means of financial support than the relative has to be able to show they can support him.

Searcher
Old 01-19-2006, 10:54 PM
RideorDieChick

Thanks Searcher,
You have cleared up a lot of things for me. I would have sworn because we were married, he would automatically be paroled to the state that I'm in. Before my husband went in, he was getting SSI Disability. He plans on applying again. I noticed you said the person has to have employment in the other state. Would him receiving Disability be a problem.

Until the Love Of My Life Comes Home

<CENTER>

</CENTER></CENTER>
Old 01-19-2006, 11:16 PM

No as long as he had a viable means of support that was not welfare. SSD or SSI is not considered welfare.

Searcher
Old 01-24-2006, 05:02 PM

Searcher maybe you can confirm a bit a information I recieved today. I spoke with a probation officer about whether or not my husband would qualify for an expedited transfer and he said homelessness(sp?) is not considered an emergency. Does this sound right to you?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:13 AM

What constituted an “emergency" is NOT defined by the compact. I recently had a state deny my probationers request for Reporting Instruction (expedited transfer) as he was homeless and they also didn't feel this was an emergency. My compact office didn't want to challenge it.

Searcher
Old 01-25-2006, 10:55 AM
IT'S OFFICIALLY OVER!
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher
Resident is defines as:
1. A person who has continuously inhabited a state for at least 1 year prior to the commission of the offense for which the offender is under supervision for and;
2. Intends such state to be the persons principal place of residence and;
3. has not, unless incarcerated, relocated to another state or states for a continuous period of six months or more with the intent to establish a new physical place of residency.
Searcher:

I have a question reqarding this, particularly #1.....does this mean he had to live here at least 1 year continuously prior to his incarceration or prior to the original crime considering he is back in Texas on a probation violation - leaving the state?

He lived here with me for 2 years prior to being picked up.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:10 AM

1 year prior to the commission of the offense (that he is on supervision for). Absconding and fleeing to a state will not be considered as establishing legal residency. The rule is meant for people who happen to get in trouble while traveling through other states or say on vacation or visiting family when they committed their offense and there permanent residency (1 year) is in other state.

Searcher
Old 01-27-2006, 07:24 AM

Searcher:

My fiance's parole was granted in Arkansas - we have both lived in CT for the past 5 years and Arkansas will begin the Interstate Compact process for him in May 2006. I know each state is different, but can you give me some idea of what I can expect from the "parole plan approval" process? In other words, I'm assuming they will come to our house, interiew me and the kids? Is this a surprise visit or a scheduled visit? (I'd like the house as clean as possible)....I just haven't seen any information on this part of the process. Any information would be helpful on what to expect.

I don't know if it helps to tell you that he's serving time for Negligent Homicide resulting from a car accident. Additionally, he is paralyzed from the waist down as another result of this accident. No prior criminal history.

Thanks so much!

"When you get to the end of your rope - tie a knot in it and hang on." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 01-27-2006, 12:11 PM

A PO should come out to visit you and he/she may make an appointment or show up unannounced (I always show up without notice so what I find is the real deal not a show). If he meets the transfer criteria then the PO is just going to make sure he is welcome at your residence and that you’re aware of any conditions he will have to abide by (no drugs, firearms ect). It's not that big of a deal unless you happen to live in a high crime area where drugs and violence are occurring it shouldn't be much to worry about.

Searcher
Old 01-27-2006, 11:04 PM

Thanks again Searcher....It sounds like we'll be fine then.

"When you get to the end of your rope - tie a knot in it and hang on." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 02-07-2006, 09:11 PM

An question, if you would, Searcher.
I have a cousin in prison in Oklahoma, my family and I live in Texas. We are the only family he has left. His mother died last year while he was in prison, he has no wife, children, nothing. I'm scared the interstate compact is not going to allow him to come here to live with us, and he has NOTHING in Oklahoma.
Here, he has a wholesome place to live, my husband will guarantee him job (my husband has 2 small businesses) my husand has already bought him a truck...
We really want to give him the opportunity to change his life -he's 47 now and will be 48 when he gets out of prison.
My heart just breaks to think that if he's not sent to family, he will surely fall again.
So... what are the chances he would be able to come here, if you can even guess?
I appreciate your help, knowledge and compassion.
lis
Old 02-08-2006, 06:52 AM

Your relationship wouldn't be qualifying but if your a cousin than he likely has an aunt or uncle in your state and they are qualifying family as defined by the compact. As long as the aunt or uncle has resided in the state for at least 180 days and he has a home plan with finical help from the family until he gets working than he shouldn't have a problem as long as Ok allows him to transfer to your state (they dint have to ) from what you told me your state will have to accept him if he meets the transfer criteria.

Searcher
Old 02-08-2006, 10:02 AM

No Aunts or Uncles live here...we literally are the very LAST of his family- except for his father who is in a nursing home in California- and has had no contact with him, and does not want any contact with him.
His mother lived in Las Vegas, Nevada, which is where my cousin grew up and lived untill he moved to Oklahoma with his girlfriend, which, of course, they broke up and he got arrested for manufacturing meth.
<sigh>
So we really have no reason to think he can come to live here, due to us not meeting the criteria of family...unless there is a miracle...
Would you hazard a guess at the likelyhood of his being able to come here to live?
Regardless, I appreciate your reply, and the time and generosity you have shown here on PTO.
I will be posting when we get thngs started w/the interstate compact, and also how things turn out.

lis
Old 02-08-2006, 10:22 AM

Well, the compact rules don't prevent a state from accepting someone who doesn't otherwise meet the transfer criteria. Since this new compact was singed back in 8/2005 I've accepted 3 or 5 who I could have denied but they had a good plan, work and stable environment so I saw no reason to deny them. As to if he will get accepted is anyone’s guess. His state may refuse to even submit the request since he doesn’t meet the basic transfer criteria (a lot of work for some thing they may view is likely to be denied). It will depend on his PO, the philosophy of your state on accepting offenders they don't have to and perhaps the PO investigating in your state. If his PO has actually read the compact rules the PO can write up the request in a way that it will help your state agree to accept him. Good Luck.

Searcher
Old 02-08-2006, 07:10 PM

Thanks, Searcher! We'll need it, I'm sure!
lis
Old 02-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Guess who's back...

Default Interstate Compact Unit-How does it work when probation/parole is violated?

I posted this on another board and was refered here to researcher so that hopefully I can find some help. I have so many questions and it seems like there is much here to read. Thank you for all of the time and energy you have put into this!

Is anyone out there familiar with how the Interstate Compact Unit operates?

My husband was given a 2 year probation sentence out of Illinois for felony possession of marijuana and a 2 year probation sentence for possession of LSD out of New Jersey. NJ suspended his license.

ICU transfered everything over to PA where he now on PAROLE (). He was pulled over in September and gave another name. He picked up a bunch of charges when they finally figured out that things weren't quite right. One of the charges is felony forgery.

Now he's already had a probable cause hearing but the Parole board told him that they aren't going to do anything til this new case is resolved. They told him that since he hasn't had any other issues with his parole that if he can get the forgery charge dropeed they probably won't look for jail time.

Can anyone tell me that if the parole board decides not to violate him will he still have to go and face his judges in Illinois and Jersey again?

Can anyone tell me why out of state "parole" violators are denied contact visits with their children even when our loved one is not a sex offender and never abused his own or any other children?

My husband was told the reason was because some lady bought an 8 year old girl to a prison and the inmate was raping her. I really don't see how that could effect all out of state parole violators. I wonder if it's even true.

Last edited by wenzhecominhome; 02-10-2006 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: add title
Old 02-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Forever loving him

Searcher,
My boyfriend is in prison in San Diego until Dec. 2006 and we want to move out of California as soon as he gets out. It is my understanding that Cali is very strict with their parolees and a lot of people get caught up in violations and get sent back to prison. We are looking for a place to live outside of Cali that has a more lenient parole system. I'm not even sure that this exist, but I'm sure there are some discrepencies between states. He has family in New Jersey and North Carolina. Do you have any information on this or any resources where I can find this information?
Also, is it possible for a parolee to relocate to Canada?

Thanks...