Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSISSIPPI > Mississippi Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Mississippi Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Mississippi Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:32 AM

Default Central Mississippi Correctional Facility (CMCF) Visits: double mastectomy

Hello friends!

I am a Transgender individual (Female-to-Male) who has been to CMCF to visit my partner twice last year. As a Trans person, I wear a compression tank top called a binder in order to bind my chest and make it look flat. Last time I went to visit, I was told that I would not be able to wear my binder due to an incident that had taken place between my first and second visit. I always get checked with the other female visitors because I don't want any issues. This summer, I plan on getting a double mastectomy in order to remove my breasts. Because my birth certificate and ID still say Female, the officers classify me as such. I'm wondering if I will still need to wear some type of bra despite having surgery because it's required for women to wear one. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2018, 04:09 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 33,251 Times in 15,258 Posts

I can't answer with any certainty, but since you won't have any breasts how would they know whether you're wearing a bra on or not? Couldn't you wear a men's "muscle t-shirt" under your shirt in lieu of a bra?

The ideal situation would be if you could get the gender changed on your ID....but that's a lotta hoops to jump through as I understand it

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 04-05-2018, 04:17 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,399 Times in 6,960 Posts

It's a tough one. Is the officer in charge of visiting approachable? If so, I would explain to them and ask them to work with you to create a plan. I know in our facilities we have a no-layering policy. So wearing a muscle tank underneath wouldn't fly if they're using the male dress code. And no bra wouldn't work if they're using the female. Conundrum!

Some state won't allow gender changes on birth certificates, but many do. My partner was from ID and they wouldn't allow it at the time. That made TSA a real hoot. (eye roll) But usually if you approach the person in charge in a matter of fact way, wanting to work within the guidelines and ensuring your visits, I would imagine something can be noted on your visiting profile.

Best of luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
patchouli (04-05-2018)