Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > California Community Corrections Facilities
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Community Corrections Facilities Topics, Discussions and Information relating to CCF & MCCF in the State of California.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:58 AM
Donation Award 

Default Mccf prisons

Hi,

My son has dropped down to Level 2 and his counselor told him that he will be placed in one of the MCCF prisons, which appear to be private facilities. He was told that he has to go there because of the length of his incarceration.

There are 2 prisons run by GEO, Golden and High Desert. They seem to have the most rehabilitation programs. The others only have college. I found that Golden is a SNY, but can't find anything on High Desert. Does anyone know if it is? I want to ask his counselor if he can be sent there as its closer to family, but he does not want to be on a SNY.

Also, is the counselor the person to ask? Should I ask the Ombudsman or the Warden? I know of another Mom who got her son into a prison of her choice by making calls.

One more puzzling thing, if Prop 57 states they can do the rehabilitation, isn't cdcr obligated to have it at a facility? Putting my son in prison without giving him counseling, defeats the purpose of handling why he ended up there in the first place.

Thank you,
Halo
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2019, 01:16 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 20,253 Times in 7,248 Posts

Let me see if I can answer in order.
Yes, they are private run prisons. They are obligated to operate according to Title 15, but they do have some play in how they run program.

High Desert is not a CCF.

He cannot go SNY for programming and at this point it wouldn't do any good anyway, they're integrated lower levels. It's problematic. :/
The counselor would be the person you would talk to, the responses are mixed. It's a bit premature to write the warden because you would need to show that his placement is detrimental to his well being or the like.

I would love to tell you that Prop 57 dictated that programming be available, unfortunately it did not. It was one of the blaring flaws in the plan. To that end, CDC has made promises to try and expand programming where it is not available or slim, but to what degree we don't know. There was no bar set for that. It does seem that the polar opposites are getting the short end of the stick-- level 1s and level 4s. Justification from CDC being that the middle levels need more help and level 4s pose a safety risk.

We welcome your input and dialogue on this. Any contact you have with CDC over this would be music to our ears. You're not wrong to be puzzled, it's a puzzling scheme.

Last edited by miamac; 01-19-2019 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: typo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Halo527 (01-19-2019), Sarianna (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 05:11 PM
Donation Award 

Hi Mia,

I got the name wrong on the MCCF - it's called Desert View and it's in Adelanto, along with another cdcr prison. That is the one that I'm trying to figure out if it's a SNY or a 50/50 as they are doing now.

The drag about not having any rehab at the MCCF's is also because he loses a month of being able to get his sentence down - in addition to needing that kind of programming. But maybe at some point when he's fulfilled enough "time" and getting closer to parole, they'll move him elsewhere like the CRC's.

Halo
The Following User Says Thank You to Halo527 For This Useful Post:
miamac (01-21-2019)