Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues News & Events relating to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Courts, Department of Justice and any legal questions you may have dealing with the Federal system.

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2017, 12:38 PM
blue5883 blue5883 is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 25
Thanks: 18
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Unhappy Husband wants to buy a house, I owe Federal Restitution..

My husband, who I met and Married after I was released from Danbury, wants to buy the house we are renting.

We live in NJ and the Real Estate attorney my husband talked to said that by law, his spouse has to sign the mortgage.

I owe over $200,000 in restitution ( I am making monthly payments for $25 as ordered by my judge, I haven't been contacted by the FLU)

Will the feds have any claim to the house? We are not a community property state however I'm not sure how the law applies to the "marital interest" I may have in the house. Is there any other way for him to buy the house with out me being involved at all.

He is using his money for the down payment and his mother will be cosigning the loan.. I'm afraid that they will both have a problem down the line if he goes to sell the property...

Any advice is appreciated.


Last edited by blue5883; 05-12-2017 at 01:06 PM..
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2017, 01:04 PM
Ccorona Ccorona is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Texas united States
Posts: 39
Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 12 Posts

Not sure if this is the same. But in TX my ex had to make a lump sum payment to bring his child support current before he could begin paperwork to purchase his house. (Payments were through the attorney general..state of Tx)
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:08 PM
Lovebirds Lovebirds is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas, United States
Posts: 507
Thanks: 702
Thanked 517 Times in 275 Posts

That sounds weird. New Jersey is a common law state, which means one spouse can buy a house without the other. That can even be done in a community property state like Texas, you just need the proper documentation beforehand. I would consult another lawyer or talk to a realtor.
10/14/2010 Our first letter
05/14/2011 We met for the first time
05/14/2013 We got married
04/05/2016 I immigrated to the US
10/27/2016 My husband received Presidential clemency

Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lovebirds For This Useful Post:
bellisq (05-18-2017), blue5883 (06-23-2017)


buying a home, federal, marital assets, restitution

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a house while paying restitution kadi0115 Prison & Criminal Legal Help! 9 02-02-2016 03:46 PM
Information on Work Furlough or Restitution House lilspeed California General Prison Talk 0 07-13-2008 08:35 PM
Restitution House program crackers California General Prison Talk 7 06-23-2007 06:22 PM
Federal Lien on house..restitution...???? HBS Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat 4 06-07-2005 06:22 AM
What is a restitution house???? (Williamson County, Texas Again!) texastammie Texas General Prison Talk 3 07-06-2003 06:24 PM

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:39 PM.
Copyright © 2001- 2019 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics