Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Visitation, Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Visitation, Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 07-08-2006, 12:08 PM

Smile My first visit to Camp Hill ( in case anyone is nervous about a visit)

Hi! I just wanted to report abour my visit to Camp Hill, in case anyone had concerns about a visit. I was really nervous and anxious about going. I was unsure of what to expect and if I was going to be able to handle it. I did get a little lost ( thank to Yahoo Maps/Mapquest) and had to call the prison for directions. The guy I talked to was very patient and got me there with no problems. It is VERY easy to find if you know where to go. I got the waiting room, and it was pretty crowded, but things moved quicker that I thought they would. I had to wait in a line to 'check' in. Then had a seat till they found my guy. total time in the waiting rooom was about 30 minutes. The CO's who checked me in and did the search were polite and professional. One could even say "nice" ( not what I expected) After I was ok to go-- I was directed to the visiting room dn walked there alone. When I got there I was surpised at the relaxed envirnoment. The CO's at the desk were a tad on the grumpy side, very strict but it was easy to know what the rules are and not to break thme. I had to "get" my guy at the desk and we were assigned seats for our visit. There were lots of vending machines and if it wasn't for the uniforms youwould think it was a DMV waiting room with better chairs. It was good to see him as we hadn't seen each other since April. We had a 4 hour visit.
Here are some tips, some you might know but keep in mind:
- Get GOOD directions. The stress of a visit is bad anough with out getting lost ( call to make sure eveyrthing is OK with visits that day too)
- go early. The waiting room can be boring, lot sof people brought newspapers that they left behind when callled. I as lucky to sit next ti somone who gave me theirs.
-Bring: ID, and plastic bag/see through container with $$ for vending machine. The prices are pretty average ( $3 for hamburger/cheeseburger/pizza ( there's a microwave to heat food) about 1.20 for drinks, $1-2 for snacks...) the 'good' stuf goes fast!
-I suggest bringing coins rather than paper money. The machine run out of change fast, you can't bring anything larger than a $5 and it's a productive way to cash in that change you might have around.
- the CO's really freaked out over too much contact. Just dont' do it. It was hard not to touch my guy the way I wanted to, especially when I felt he really needed a hug or some affection, but they'll yell at you in front of EVERYONE-all the talking stops and eveyone looks. Plus, I did see them terminate a visit so they WILL. You can hug him beofre and after your visit.

all in all in was much better than I thought. ALL the guys were SO HAPPY to be with their people, it was not a somber room. If you have a loved one, or friend, I suggest planning a visit. It really isn't scary and they get so happy....

Tanks for reading and good luck!

-Chrissy

PS _ from chatting with others in the waiting room I undertand it is more crowded in the weekends, this was a Friday visit. I wanted to get in as much time as possible.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2006, 01:23 PM

ITs almost the same at Waymart. They seem to be a little more relaxed at Waymart. I dont test to see if I can get them terminated!
Old 07-13-2006, 06:35 PM

Anyone know the process at Camp Hill with having a child visit? I want to go Sunday, but if I'm waiting on a paper to sign and return for my daughter to be able to visit then I can't bring my daughter. Please let me know. THANKS!
Old 04-02-2007, 12:06 PM

Red face a question about the visit

hi i am tryin to get to camp hill from christian street in philadelphia. i wanted to kno what info did i have to put in on mapquest in order to get good directions for the visit? What information do i have to get and any other helpful information will be greatly appreciated. i am pretty nervous about this visit exspecially since i am not accustomed to any of this.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:13 PM
missing him dearly

Default directions

You should probably try mapquest, they seem to be pretty good at times.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:37 AM

i got a question...just wanted to know if u got some things lingering on ur record will it bite u when u get there?
Old 04-22-2007, 12:01 AM
Account Closed

yep..if you have a felony...they won't let you in
Old 04-23-2007, 12:20 PM

Default How will my friend be able to call me from Camp Hill?

[How will my friend be able to call me from camp hill?
=chrsyfrl]Hi! I just wanted to report abour my visit to Camp Hill, in case anyone had concerns about a visit. I was really nervous and anxious about going. I was unsure of what to expect and if I was going to be able to handle it. I did get a little lost ( thank to Yahoo Maps/Mapquest) and had to call the prison for directions. The guy I talked to was very patient and got me there with no problems. It is VERY easy to find if you know where to go. I got the waiting room, and it was pretty crowded, but things moved quicker that I thought they would. I had to wait in a line to 'check' in. Then had a seat till they found my guy. total time in the waiting rooom was about 30 minutes. The CO's who checked me in and did the search were polite and professional. One could even say "nice" ( not what I expected) After I was ok to go-- I was directed to the visiting room dn walked there alone. When I got there I was surpised at the relaxed envirnoment. The CO's at the desk were a tad on the grumpy side, very strict but it was easy to know what the rules are and not to break thme. I had to "get" my guy at the desk and we were assigned seats for our visit. There were lots of vending machines and if it wasn't for the uniforms youwould think it was a DMV waiting room with better chairs. It was good to see him as we hadn't seen each other since April. We had a 4 hour visit.
Here are some tips, some you might know but keep in mind:
- Get GOOD directions. The stress of a visit is bad anough with out getting lost ( call to make sure eveyrthing is OK with visits that day too)
- go early. The waiting room can be boring, lot sof people brought newspapers that they left behind when callled. I as lucky to sit next ti somone who gave me theirs.
-Bring: ID, and plastic bag/see through container with $$ for vending machine. The prices are pretty average ( $3 for hamburger/cheeseburger/pizza ( there's a microwave to heat food) about 1.20 for drinks, $1-2 for snacks...) the 'good' stuf goes fast!
-I suggest bringing coins rather than paper money. The machine run out of change fast, you can't bring anything larger than a $5 and it's a productive way to cash in that change you might have around.
- the CO's really freaked out over too much contact. Just dont' do it. It was hard not to touch my guy the way I wanted to, especially when I felt he really needed a hug or some affection, but they'll yell at you in front of EVERYONE-all the talking stops and eveyone looks. Plus, I did see them terminate a visit so they WILL. You can hug him beofre and after your visit.

all in all in was much better than I thought. ALL the guys were SO HAPPY to be with their people, it was not a somber room. If you have a loved one, or friend, I suggest planning a visit. It really isn't scary and they get so happy....

Tanks for reading and good luck!

-Chrissy

PS _ from chatting with others in the waiting room I undertand it is more crowded in the weekends, this was a Friday visit. I wanted to get in as much time as possible.[/quote]
Old 07-06-2007, 05:44 PM

I visited Camp Hill on Sunday 7-1-07...i reaserched everything twice and was completely ready for this experience...I got there early and was second or third in line...they checked our info and then gave a locker key...my man is on a block close to the visiting area so i was able to see him within thirty minutes...if they are further away then it might take time...and it's not really first come first serve basis...people who were after me went before me....i spent 2 hours...it was great...not too busy..i guess!The area was ok...i felt like i was waiting in an airport...we only hugged and kisses in the beginning and end...i didn't want to push my luck even with holding hands...the expereince was not bad for me...i have read alot of horror stories....but i thought it was good...my only suggestion is to becareful with the door buzzer...who ever controls that must be busy so only ring it once and wait...you can hardly hear the buzzer to open...just be patient! The directions were easy as long as you get them from the prison...DO NOT USE ANY INTERNET SITES TO GET DIRECTIONS....they are really off....
Old 07-20-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLCJ9142
Anyone know the process at Camp Hill with having a child visit? I want to go Sunday, but if I'm waiting on a paper to sign and return for my daughter to be able to visit then I can't bring my daughter. Please let me know. THANKS!

Make sure he lets you know it was approved, dont just assume, and bring 2forms ofID for your child or they will turn you away, bring birth certificate and SS card or medical card, or schoolrecords, but wait until he gets a slip that child is approved, it isnt just approved once youmail it back, the inmate needs to get the notice of approval, I got turned away for not having 2 forms of ID.. Goodluck on your visit...
Old 11-16-2007, 01:57 AM
Loving my Lemmel

Location: He comes from Bed-Stuy..where they do or they gon DIE!!!

thanks this just made me feel more comfortable about going and visit my hubby in CH..thanks a million