Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > FLDOC - What You Need to Know > Florida Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Florida prison Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics. If you have a question about or want to discuss these issues in a specific facility, please visit that facility's regional subforum in the Florida forum.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:47 PM

Default Holmes C. I. opening legal mail

Holmes is opening inmates legal mail and it is going through with regular mail.
What can I do about this? I know the normal steps, but I also know if any trouble comes of this, they will take revenge on my man.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2009, 04:47 PM

You're right about the revenge part...Maybe first you should try speaking to the mail room about it and see if that resolves it...If they are doing wrong and see that you aren't going to let them get away with it, maybe that will fix it...If necessary speak to the warden & so on... I always speak to Ms Kent in the mail room at Holmes and she has been nice..
The Following User Says Thank You to ricoswifey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2009, 05:35 AM

Are you saying to do this by phone? wont it still come down on my man? Who is Mrs. Kent? would it be better for my man to speak to this issue? I try to be very careful what I do and say.

Maybe a letter addressing all the issues? Should I sign my name? I get my self in such a tizzy when anything like this comes up. The lazy lady in the librey is still putting names down of inmates that are not using it, so others cant go, or something like that. I think the inmates lives are often revolved around legal work, and legal mail and access to the libreay (sp) is important to them. Thank for for good advise.

How do I speak to the mail room? is there a phone number to call directly?

Now Im scared.

Last edited by lin787; 07-19-2009 at 05:36 AM..
Old 07-19-2009, 07:23 AM

Oh I know, I worry too because I don't want them coming down on my husband for an issue I addressed...But at the same time, if they know an inmate out here has family who cares and pays attention to their every move, they will probably think twice before pulling some BS...so it goes both ways. Mrs. Kent is the lady who works in the mail room...I was suggesting you speak to her, because the few times I have, she has actually taken her time with me on the phone and she seems pretty decent. I'd address it with her first and just let her know you aren't trying to get anyone in trouble, you just want the problem fixed, blah blah...I don't have a direct number, just call Holmes 850-547-8700 & ask for the mailroom. I think if we addressed it they might take it more seriously than if an inmate does....And sometimes inmates get DRs for "speaking up" if you know what I mean....If it makes you feel better calling there, you could just tell them you prefer not to give your name...
Old 07-21-2009, 12:17 AM

I know of two other facilities that are doing this, too. There seems to be confusion over changes being made to Chapter 33-210.102 FAC "Legal Documents and Legal Mail" Supposedly "legal mail" can come and go only from certain types of specified legal entities (attorneys, courts, legal aid societies, etc.) and must be stamped "Legal Mail" or "Confidential" or somesuch (except the courts, government agencies, or the state attorney -- the return address suffices for them – but private attorneys and legal aid societies must write "legal mail" or similar on their envelopes). Without this indicator of legal contents, it goes through routine mail.

33-210.103 "Privileged Mail" is how legal and confidential mail is processed when the sender is not a court or government attorney (etc.). In essence it's the same procedure as legal mail – the mail is opened up in front of the inmate at the legal mail window. The nature of the mail must still qualify it as "privileged" (e.g., legal docs you've typed for the inmate, medical records, official documents, forms with confidential information on them such as social security numbers, etc.).

Right now all the mailroom people statewide are working the kinks out of how they handle legal mail. If an inmate's legal mail from the courts (or other entity on that list) is being opened and processed through routine mail, there are solid grounds for grieving. If it's from a private attorney, let him or her know to mark the envelopes in the future.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fencie For This Useful Post:
ben's girl (07-21-2009), ricoswifey (07-21-2009)
Old 07-21-2009, 02:11 PM

thank you everyone for info. Im still too scared to call them. Some times I become such a whimp.