Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSOURI > Missouri General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Missouri General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Missouri that do not fit into any other Missouri sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:29 PM

Default Questions about the HOLE?

This is the first time I have dealt with a loved one being in prison. And he got sent to the HOLE like 6 days ago, and I was just wondering if they ever got told how long they would be in there, or if they received emails just that they print them out fr them? I know they do not get their tablets, just not sure who to call and try to find out information from, and I feel like I'm going in circles when I have tried. And also, is there a way to get him information that is an emergency and shouldn't be wrote in an email?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2019, 09:41 PM

They print their emails out and give them to them while they are in the hole. Usually if it's for a violation not a serious violation 10-30 days in there. Serious they can hold them up to 90 days. And if it's for investigation they can hold them longer than that. It's not fair but they do it. And in a emergency only of it's a death in the family will they give them that information.
The Following User Says Thank You to playnalwayz69 For This Useful Post:
Steph0204 (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 11:49 PM

Is there a way I can find out from anyone other than him, how long he will be in there for? Like I have talked to his caseworker, but that guy is a hard person to get ahold of, and I just don't know what I should be doing, or if I should be doing anything at all. I don't want to bother them and it make things worse on him while he's in there. But I just think there has got to be a better way to handle things than to stick them where they can't have any sort of contact. And I just feel like I should be doing more than just writing or emailing him. I know I sound like a crazy person, but I have never ever been close enough to anyone in prison before, and this is so sad, and makes me so angry.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:56 AM

Thanked 1,006 Times in 290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph0204 View Post
This is the first time I have dealt with a loved one being in prison. And he got sent to the HOLE like 6 days ago, and I was just wondering if they ever got told how long they would be in there, or if they received emails just that they print them out fr them? I know they do not get their tablets, just not sure who to call and try to find out information from, and I feel like I'm going in circles when I have tried. And also, is there a way to get him information that is an emergency and shouldn't be wrote in an email?

There are various reasons why someone is sent to SHU. If they are placed in SHU for an investigation, then they stay in there until it is complete. That can be a week that can be 6 months.

Only after the investigation is complete then if any sort of sanctions are given then they are told that they will get 30 days of disciplinary time. There is no "Time served" while in the SHU because you lose certain privileges while on DS time.

My prison does not print out emails for inmates, but we allow them to get mail etc. That and the phone call every 30 days is the only contact they have.

Honestly the only information that is passed from family through staff to the inmate would be death in the family, things of that nature.

Is there anything you can do? Not really. You can be supportive, write letters, wait for the phone call. And if you can and usually do, provide the inmate with some funds so they can buy from the commissary and have money on their books for phone calls.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:05 AM

Default SHU

My loved one is in the shu as well since 02/14 he said he is getting kicked out
Old 02-27-2019, 09:02 PM

Default New to this...and not sure what things mean..

My boyfriend was sent to some place called the hole? And he's been there almost a week now, and I haven't heard anything yet, but I figure that's normal. But I know he can't call, and that he can't email, but that he can get mine printed and taken to him. But he can write letters. But he told me the night before that he thought he was going to get sent there, so I had a heads up, but then I was told today that he will be there for at least 30 more days..but that it was his choice to be sent there??? And that's not him, at all...so is he able to use his money on his books for paper and stuff to write me with? Or not? I just am not sure about anything with this whole prison life, and I don't have the support from my family at all, and only a couple close friends. I just feel lost, and not sure what I should or can even do to help?
Old 02-27-2019, 09:10 PM
VIII - XVIII - MMXVIII

Quote:
My boyfriend was sent to some place called the hole? And he's been there almost a week now, and I haven't heard anything yet, but I figure that's normal. But I know he can't call, and that he can't email, but that he can get mine printed and taken to him. But he can write letters. But he told me the night before that he thought he was going to get sent there, so I had a heads up, but then I was told today that he will be there for at least 30 more days..but that it was his choice to be sent there??? And that's not him, at all...so is he able to use his money on his books for paper and stuff to write me with? Or not? I just am not sure about anything with this whole prison life, and I don't have the support from my family at all, and only a couple close friends. I just feel lost, and not sure what I should or can even do to help?
My boyfriend was put in the hole when we first got together. I was able to put money on his books and he could call me one time a week but he had to request it. He was able to write me as well. I hope this helps you, trust me I know how you feel when you go from talking everyday it sucks.

SimplyS92
Old 02-27-2019, 09:16 PM

Thanked 4,313 Times in 2,049 Posts

Most places dont allow calls or they are allowed one phone call a month. They can write if they have supplies.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:38 PM
Site Moderator

Thanked 23,642 Times in 8,318 Posts

Quote:
His ability to have property or access to it is dependent on the facility. If you were permitted to send in writing supplies before, you should be able to now. If not, then he should be allowed access to supplies through commissary.

If he went to the hole of his own volition, it's usually 1) they knew they were involved in something that could land them there or 2) they needed to be off the yard for their own safety. Only he will be able to tell you why he's there.

It's hard when communication is changed or cut off, but it's good that he was able (and willing) to tell you ahead of time so you knew and just keep writing. He will get it and will write back as soon as he can.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Steph0204 (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 11:03 AM

That was my next question. Was when I put money on his books is he going to be able to go to the store thing and get whatever he would need?? Because I don't want him to have to not be able to get anything, especially like stuff to write letters with, and all that. And thank you so much for your reply! I am just super worried, and feel so dumb because I have no clue what half of the stuff means or anything.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:05 AM

And I found out from his caseworker yesterday that they will be keeping him there for at least the next 30 days, which sucks so bad! But then they told me it was at his request that he be sent there?? For his safety concerns?? This man is scared of NOTHING. So it makes absolutely no sense to me why he would choose to go to this hole place???
Old 02-28-2019, 11:11 AM
Site Moderator

Thanked 23,642 Times in 8,318 Posts

Quote:
And I found out from his caseworker yesterday that they will be keeping him there for at least the next 30 days, which sucks so bad! But then they told me it was at his request that he be sent there?? For his safety concerns?? This man is scared of NOTHING. So it makes absolutely no sense to me why he would choose to go to this hole place???
I've merged your threads into the Missouri forum so you might get more specific answers.

Truly the only person that can tell you why he went is him. Sometimes the reason is clear cut, and sometimes it's the best of all crappy options. Try not to panic; if he was truly fearful this is probably the best place for him to be. He's safe, he's fed, he's monitored. He'll write as soon as he's able.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-28-2019), Steph0204 (03-02-2019)