Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MARYLAND > Maryland General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Maryland General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Maryland that do not fit into any other Maryland sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 10-25-2005, 04:43 PM
Loving Him Forever

K ladies we've got some really good ideas here, let's get something put together on this petition, we've got Melissa Parker and her attorney to help us with this so what are we sitting on our butts waiting for???
Let's get this thing going!!! If we all sit here and do nothing that's exactly what DOC wants, and NOTHING WILL CHANGE!!!!!!!!!
COME ON LADIES LET'S HELP OUR LOVED ONES, LET'S HELP MELISSA!!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2005, 10:57 PM
Al's Woman

Question...will the also be an online petition so we that are out of state (not out of our minds, however) can sign?
to the sound of your breath on my neck,
the warmth of your lips on my cheek,
the touch of your fingers on my skin,
and the feel of your heart beating with mine...
Knowing that I could never find that feeling
with anyone other than you.
<HR noShade SIZE=1>
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens
can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Margaret Mead
Old 10-25-2005, 11:30 PM

Hey Jill,

Thatís what I was thinking also. If/When we get it drawn up, we can have a State-Wide hard copy and a Nation-Wide internet copy. Hereís a couple of sites that I had saved from a while back. Also, since we donít know the families of inmates but we can get into the MD DOC database, we could also maybe send out a couple of hundred letters to random inmates at all of the prisons to direct their loved ones to the online petition. I wonder if we could also buy advertising space in the Con-Tact News or if they are not involved in advocacy. Maybe kintml2u can answer that one. Once the word gets to the inmates, it will probably spread quickly. I also want to reiterate the importance of talking to your guys about their needs/wants. I have no contact with my ex and really donít want to open up any line of communication with him, me scared. : (

http://www.petitiononline.com/create_petition.html
http://www.elections.state.md.us/citizens/petitions/index.html
http://www.petitiononline.com/swiney12/

Last edited by Shelby; 10-25-2005 at 11:42 PM..
Old 10-26-2005, 02:34 AM

OK Ladies,
whats going on here lets get on the ball, I see no petition is ready yet.
I sure hope everyone is doing fine. I just sent Danny off copies of word puzzles,hey it beats copying them lol,I called the prision and ask if he could get pages out of books and they said yea, makes alot of sense dont it,cant have the whole book but i can send him a few pages at a time lol, oh well beats nothing at all huh. not to much more he can do in lock up, well he's been in there now for over 2months and still no visits are allowed,plus now they stopped his phone calls so it makes it harder,what aholes, ok take care everyone and god bless
Old 10-26-2005, 10:04 AM

ok ladies
i am meeting with my lawyer this week and next week my web master i am going to talk to them both about the petion and the online petion too i promise by the end of next week we will have this going if some one out there could get it to gether the problems and the solutions and some of the things you all want to see changed and e mail it to me that would be great ok address is
melissa@justice4phil.com
that way my lawyers and web master can get on ok thank you all
be safe and strong god bless and i am looking forword to hearing from every one
melissa rodriguez the mother of philip parker jr
8/30/84 - 2/02/05
You will never be forgotten!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:59 AM

Frank Sizer isn't going to do anything either. The warden should not have had the last decision, there should have been a hearing officer from outside of thr prison to listen to the case and make the final decision of which the warden must abide by.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:06 AM

ANGELOTR,
Why was your son's phone calls stopped, if I may ask? Just because he's on lock isn't enough. What's your son's location?

Last edited by SilentSoul; 10-27-2005 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: mnisspelled
Old 10-31-2005, 06:25 PM
Al's Woman

I will be talking to my guy probably tomorrow night. I will ask him his main concerns other than safety of course...I know health care is one of his real concerns and the lack of accountability. I'll let y'all know what he says. Thanks so much, Melissa! With everything you have been through, you're still going strong. Phillip is surely very proud! God Bless You!
to the sound of your breath on my neck,
the warmth of your lips on my cheek,
the touch of your fingers on my skin,
and the feel of your heart beating with mine...
Knowing that I could never find that feeling
with anyone other than you.
<HR noShade SIZE=1>
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens
can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Margaret Mead
Old 11-01-2005, 08:24 AM

i hope and pray
that this can be done . i have found my self in a strange placei need help!!
i do not like this person i am becoming
and it scares me . i have new neighbors. first time in 18 years and they are driving me insain
the blair thier music no lie from 6 in the morning to around 11 at night i ask them to please turn it down she says are you asking or demaneding . still dose not turn it down you can't even watch tv or sleep from the bombing from the music .
she says i am trying to run her off . this is not true just want respect i have a 73 yeatr old father who has lived here for over 30 years and now he is worryed .
becoused i am getting restless with this women . she says i am this way becouse she is black . and philip was killed by a black man . this is so not true. i have a famuiley of many colors and raqces and black is one of them .i have never felt so trapped
what can i do . i can sit here now and lisen to this music like it was here at my house playing it has been going scince 6 this morning . and she is trying to make me explode how do i handle this with out going crazy ?
she has cursed at my son the first day she moved in . yes i did go off when that happen all he asked was where they moving in and if they needed some help she told him to mind his own f busness and they didn't need anything from any of us .
so yes i told her never to talk to any one from this house that way
her son and mine talk and hange out when she is not home but when she is they can't talk
so what schould i do . is she right am i getting mean my familey says no but for what ever reason this women hates me what can i do to make this better any one out there have a clue i have tryed talking but she rolls her eyes laughs and goes in the house
i give up dazed tried and confused i don't ever want to be layabled ever
that is not me
so please if any one out there has any clues i am lising
melissa
8/30/84 - 2/02/05
Old 11-03-2005, 10:22 PM

Silentsoul, my son was put on lockup for 715 days for throwing water at a CO and when this happen a inmate got some on him,which the CO said it was urine, so this inmate came to my son while on lockup and beat my son in the head with a broomstick, now, there all of a sudden no broomstick and my son got an additional 250days which brings it to 715 days lock up for a fight because they claim my son was fighting,no broomstick was found,so with him being on admin.lock up he now gets no visits and no phone calls, oh but new news came today, he was sent out of that god forbidden place down to ECI on the eastern shore, where she wrote me today and said he feels like he is living in a mansion,lol, the cell is twice as big as the one he was in and the food is fantastic, he said he thinks he'll like it there, lol, he said mom I could get use to this place, there is more programs for him to enter,after he gets off this lockup, and he said he has to go through a step program first which he feels he can do it, step 3 being he comes off lockup and gets his visits and phone calls back. so I guess that was one nice letter i got today, the only thing i have to call M.T.C. tomarrow and find out what the heck happen to his TV that we just got him and he has never seen yet. but hopefully things might be looking up for him at least we hope.and at least he's out of the hell hole he was in.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:47 PM

petition I will help and all I can say is good luck. Below is some inserts of information that we as correctional officer's suggested in writting to Sec. Saar and Sizer. some of this information made it to the Governor's desk. Maybe some of this information will help you. I got more if you want it.

MCI-H STAFFING
STAFFING YEAR DECEMBER 10, 2003

All data from pages 1-7 obtained from Maryland Correctional Institution - Hagerstown Post Assignment Work Sheet ( PAWS ) dated January 12, 2005 all shifts copy attached.
I would like to state clearly that it is my belief that MCI-H’s Facility Staffing Plan is flawed. As shown on pages 6 and 7 there lacks the consideration and accountability of the extra posts that are needed to meet MCI-H’s facility’s staffing demands, to the positions/PINS needed to staff these posts. Unusually high amounts of overtime was driven up due to the lack of responsibility of MCI-H’s administrators and the DOC’s for not entertaining the idea that MCI-H was not staffed according to the posts that are needed to operate their facility. Nor did they intervene when staffing levels fell below 370 to a low of 349 positions (staff) which forced correctional officers to be mandated to work overtime.
I’ve also been informed, on the dates of the staffing/post analysis that none of MCI-H’s top three administrators made himself available, however had 1 Captain did these duties for all three shifts. That during the early part of August 2003 after the audit team visited MCI-H, that our administrators sent out memos stating that closures of some area posts at MCI-H was due to budget crisis, than promoted supervisory staff. That Secretary Saar and the DOC promoted individuals on this audit team than continued to inflate the office of the secretary and other by creating new positions, at the time that we were informed that there was a budget crisis.
When it was known that DOC lower it’s standards of inmate’s classification so that more inmates would be classified as minium security and Mci-h would now house central kitchen’s minium security inmates. It was stated by a correctional officer that AHU housing area would be an idea area to house these inmates. Do to the physical structure of AHU ie , newer building , yard intact, accessibility to central kitchen, area away from the other population, closer to SUI shops. This housing area assets along with the lower security of the inmates would require less staffing needs for greater amount of inmates. This idea was not even considered! Instead WPDC B Building (quonset hut) was used. This quonset huts is in the middle of two other inmate housing areas, and shares chow lines with WPDC C building inmates and yard with WPDC A and C Huts medium security inmates.
WPDC sally port area where staff parked and entered that was assigned to WPDC and AHU, was closed to staff from entering and exiting due to this area was thought of as a security breach by our administration. Which meant that another hole was punched into our inner security fence and more gates so vehicles could be driven through the compound by 4 housing area.. Staffing would now have to park and walk outdoors 3/4 mile in all weather wearing our polyesters blues. This not only caused a hardship but increased duties on the already shrinking staff. Than to be informed months later that the minium security inmates would be exiting and entering WPDC area through this way, the same area that was a security risk to staff but not to the inmates !! Then came the brain storm that these inmates needed their own special yard, at the cost of thousands of dollars the 6th yard area at Mci- is born. To be completed with new weights, basketball courts, picnic tables, outdoors pool tables and pavilions. Now we aren’t using the words budget crisis we are saying it’s part of project RESTART! Would anyone wonder why Project RESTART and the new path of corrections was not embraced. Where is the inmate programs? I honestly believe that armed with this information and documents that I have shown again, that MCI-H’s staffing and post analysis audit was and is flawed and that MCI-H’s administrators has set in motions plans that was not workable with this new path to corrections . Just as I speculated would happen in a Independent Study I completed and had distributed January 26, 2004 Titled " Number’s Don’t Lie "
Complaints, and issues from staff at MCI-H not previously mentioned:
1. Myth promotions are a big reasons for low staff (correctional I, II, and III’s morale.
Realistic reasons for staff morale is.
A- Mandatory Overtime
(due to lack of staffing)
B - Unable to get time off ( lack of staffing )
C - WPDC parking lot and entrance closed down to staff not inmates!
D - Decisions made by administration and DOC Officials
1- Closing posts and told it was budget crisis!
2- Promoting supervisory staff and not filling CO’s vacancies.
3- Office of Secretary and Headquarters staffing increases while our decreases.
4- Project RESTART not using the facility’s assets.
A - SUI shops not used for training and jobs for minium security inmates.
B - Not using housing to fit inmate’s needs (AHU)
C- Not revamping Education to assist inmates upon release!
1-Inmate tutors does most of the teaching REWARD them!
2-Add work credits for getting other inmates through school.
3-Allow inmate tutors to get teaching degrees.
4-Discourage inmates setting idle in school.( Set time limits)
5-School work credits only be added after completion.
5 -Money spent on creating a 6th yard area without staffing area.
6- Money sent on paving and construction
7- Increase inmate recreation time without staffing.
8- No increase in positive treatment for the inmate’s.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:33 PM
on cloud 9

I think eveyone in Maryland needs to read this again and see if we can get this going because something really needs to happen to make are prisons safer for are loveones and the co. Look what's happen in the past few week its really not ok and there doing nothing about it but sitin back while are loveone are losing not only there freedom but there lives.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:46 AM

hello
well this is philips mother . it has been a year 6 month and what feel like for ever . to find out what happen that night on the bus . i have found out some things witch i am unable to talk about . but one day will come out and the world will know . mean while i keep living this over and over
they make you fight for everything .but fight i do and it is taken it toll on me my familey everyone
i filed for the freedom of info act and got nothing dome shit back
finaley i had to start a sue case i have recived so much info witch is killing me in side
seeing him and knowing what happen to him hurts like nothing i have ever knew.
i am asked to try and keep thing quite untill after the trail so i do
but i am going to have a ralley for prison reform on my son 22 birthday
this aug 30 down town super max i feel the need to help these famileys how are going throw what me and mine are going throw
and hopefuly this state will see there is many who care and will not stand for this any more .
for allthe prisoners in this system i will try my best to be thier voice and to be heard for the guards that are truley honest i will fight for for those who are not i will fight to have them removed
there are so many isues that need to be dealt with in this prison system
where to start is the biggest problem
and i think if we all start scharing are views and stand together we can make a differnce
so the ralley is in porten and is a small step but it can make a dend in change
it starts at 630 and will be over by 8 there will be media and many people running for office there
so please we need the people who are most afficted to show saport for thier loved ones
thank you melissa
8/30/84 - 2/02/05
Old 08-20-2006, 06:26 AM
Donation Award 

Another small part of the problem is staffing with appropriate people and keeping them. My husband recently told me about one of the COs getting fired and being very upset about it. This was one of the only COs at RCI that treated the inmates with respect. He advocated for them on many occasions and got reprimanded multiple times for this. My husband is on the honor tier and works at SUI. He is really trying hard to make himself a better person. This was one of the COs who realized that if you treat these men with respect they will find value within themselves and act accordingly. Since the incident at Jessup, alot of the COs have begun treating the inmates coldly. Not that they should be coddled, but they are human beings and a little respect in that situation goes a long way. I believe that the proper training would go a long way toward easing tensions in the prison populations. There are, however, always exceptions to this rule as evidenced by the inmates who committed those murders. We need to find a way to reach out to those that want to be better men and give them something to work towards. Not to rant on, but I tend to believe that there is good in everyone and that if you want to create a masterpiece it helps to have a good artist.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:21 PM

i thank you for your thoughts and i belive that there are many good co's
and that peoploe need to be treated with respect
and these people needed in the systwm are hard to find
once again thank you and i wish you and your husband much luck and happens to come
melissa
8/30/84 - 2/02/05
Old 10-22-2006, 07:47 PM

not sure if this website has been posted. did not have time to read every post but i do know of a great petitiononline.com website. The last petition i was a member of and we generated more then 2500 signature. I do know exactly what its like to be on the inside looking out. gets lonely knowing there is none that has my back. the ones that do are on the outside and what they say almost never matters. the administration just cover up for one another or pass the potato
wont let me post URL- but lets try this

www,petitiononline dot com
Old 01-14-2007, 09:36 PM
waiting for my honey

keep up the hard work you people are great
Old 07-11-2008, 11:17 AM

[quote=Shelby;1198541]I think the more specific the better, and I think that's why we need someone with a legal background to draw it up. I have no idea how to go about it.

Come on ladies, lets get this going.

1) Full discloser from the Maryland Department of Corrections regarding the murders of Phillip Parker, Ifeanya Iko, and Raymond Smoot.

2) Better safety inside the walls and while transporting

3) More job skills programs

4) More education programs

5) More drug treatment

6) Better trained and educated C.O.s, case managers etc.

7) Accountability

8) Relationship/life skills/parenting/anger management therapy

9) Better health/dental care

10) Citizen review committee.[/q

11) Classes for the guards, etc for customer service on how to deal with the outside people that call in
The Following User Says Thank You to renight For This Useful Post:
JoesGirl4ever (09-23-2009)
Old 09-23-2009, 10:20 PM

I know this thread is old now, but has anything came of these efforts to get the ball rolling? Something else is missing from this list. JOB PLACEMENT. The skills are no good if they can't get their foot in the door to begin with because of the application process! Also, more temp. housing. Especially for those that have no where to go after they get out. Can't have a place to live without having a job, and can't have a job without having a vehicle to get there. So transportation needs to be available as well to get these men/woman started out... Everyone deserves a chance to better their lives.