Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Discussions Topics / Information relating to the Arizona Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:04 PM

Default Denied visitation/ heart broken

Hi,

I'm new here but I'm glad I found this place. I filled out my visitation application in September and have been waiting since then to finally get approved. Every day going to the mailbox with hope that this will be the day!
I got denied in November it said I have an unfavorable background check? I was stunned I have no idea what this means? I appealed it right away and just got my letter on Friday that I am still denied and there was no explanation why, the Warden just said I could re apply in 6 months.

We have tried to call her to ask what unfavorable means? I have never had a felony but she will not return our calls. My Husband goes to see my daughter every weekend while I sit home and cry. I just don't understand why they won't atleast tell me exactly what they saw on my report that caused the denial? They have left us hanging, wondering what I possibly did to cause this?

Any suggestions, is there someone we can go to for help with this? I would just like to find out what it says I feel like I have a right to know and then that way I can fix it so when I go to re apply in 6 months I won't get denied again!

any advice will be appreciated
Rockbottom
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbottom54 View Post
Hi,

I'm new here but I'm glad I found this place. I filled out my visitation application in September and have been waiting since then to finally get approved. Every day going to the mailbox with hope that this will be the day!
I got denied in November it said I have an unfavorable background check? I was stunned I have no idea what this means? I appealed it right away and just got my letter on Friday that I am still denied and there was no explanation why, the Warden just said I could re apply in 6 months.

We have tried to call her to ask what unfavorable means? I have never had a felony but she will not return our calls. My Husband goes to see my daughter every weekend while I sit home and cry. I just don't understand why they won't atleast tell me exactly what they saw on my report that caused the denial? They have left us hanging, wondering what I possibly did to cause this?

Any suggestions, is there someone we can go to for help with this? I would just like to find out what it says I feel like I have a right to know and then that way I can fix it so when I go to re apply in 6 months I won't get denied again!

any advice will be appreciated
Rockbottom
Hi,

I'm so sorry that you're going through this as well. I had the same thing happen. Because of "dishonesty" on my application, I was denied. I wrote to the liaison and they could not tell me information. I called the warden with the same result. My loved one is in a private prison so I had to appeal to contract beds and was finally able to speak to the director's secretary to hear what the true nature of the denial was. You might try calling the central office and see if that works for you as well. At least you can find out more information. I feel the same as you. When I am finally able to reapply, I'm afraid it will be denied for the same reasons without them giving any kind of detail. It seems discriminate that they can deny without giving us access to the information as to why.

You're not alone. ❤
The Following User Says Thank You to Litlmamarose For This Useful Post:
rockbottom54 (12-24-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 12:15 AM

Have either of you tried to get online to check your names? try your local case.net through the court system. In most cases where you have not committed any offenses it would just be a case of mistaken identity in other words someone else with your same name. Don't forget prison systems do background checks on the inmates families and loved ones before allowing them visitation rights.

Inmate Visits Now Carry Added Cost in Arizona

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/05/us/05prison.html

New legislation allows the department to impose a $25 fee on adults who wish to visit inmates at any of the 15 prison complexes that house state prisoners. The one-time “background check fee” for visitors, believed to be the first of its kind in the nation, has angered prisoner advocacy groups and family members of inmates, who in many cases already shoulder the expense of traveling long distances to the remote areas where many prisons are located.

Last edited by Born; 12-24-2019 at 01:00 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Born For This Useful Post:
rockbottom54 (12-24-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 09:36 AM

Default I was denied visitation

thank you, I will try this. We are obviously not getting any luck from the Warden, she will not return our calls. I just want to find out why!!
Old 12-24-2019, 03:11 PM

Thanked 1,124 Times in 508 Posts

Do you have a common name? Is there a possibility of someone having used your name? I would run a background check on myself and see what comes up.

In IL, the background check covers many things, not just criminal.
The Following User Says Thank You to trauma4us For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (12-24-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 04:33 PM
attorney

Thanked 22,135 Times in 7,694 Posts

Unfavorable background can include things like protective orders, designation as a victim even if she is not in prison for the crime where you are the victim, designation of somebody in your family as a victim and things like that.

Write a letter and ask for the grounds of the ban. Then you can work on things. Family of victims and victims can go through restorative justice programs in the prison. Protective orders can run their course or be lifted. But, until you know the grounds, you are SOL.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-24-2019), gvalliant (12-24-2019), rockbottom54 (12-24-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 10:15 PM

Default I was denied visitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by trauma4us View Post
Do you have a common name? Is there a possibility of someone having used your name? I would run a background check on myself and see what comes up.

In IL, the background check covers many things, not just criminal.

Do you know of a safe place to run a background check on myself?
Old 12-26-2019, 11:58 AM

In the ADOC policy it states more reason as to why it may happen.
Such as being on another inmates visitation, failure to pay, working for DOC in the past two years, a warrant and other things.

It also states the records get sent to the visitation staff so you can try calling visitation and asking them why. I've sometimes gotten more info out of visitation than anyone else.

Also try the assistant warden.