Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Headed to Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Headed to Prison Dedicated to those who are facing incarceration. What to expect; what you can do to prepare; Q&A's; support.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:40 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,328 Times in 11,843 Posts

I believe that most court trials are biased against the defendant, and for the prosecution anyway. In "child said/you said" cases the evidentiary rules are even more biased against the accused.

With 25 years in prison possible, I think you should do anything you can to be represented by the best possible lawyer, regardless of the cost. It will probably require a lot of investigating to find them, but it is that important.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2018, 04:35 AM

Yeah it would be nice to have a paid lawyer, but I can't even come up with money for one. I've written several lawyers to see if any would take the case pro Bono, no luck there. And the cheapest I have found wanted 20k upfront. With no credit, no job, or way to get any money period is out of the question. It sucks as I am stuck with a public defender, and that's not looking so hot currently.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:24 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I hope your PD does a great job for you. I would have been much better served by a PD than I was by my expensive, but lazy, private attorney.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:43 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,181 Times in 6,889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
He choose to plead guilty because he was most likely promised a shorter sentence than he would receive at trial....how is that even a fair choice IF he's innocent
For Netflix subscribers, there is a series available now titled "I Am Innocent". The stories come out of NZ so a little different court system than the OP article, but essentially you watch how the train-wreck of witness statements, fear, intimidation, misinformation and politics work to incarcerate the not-guilty. For a US based series, try "The Confession Tapes", also available on Netflix.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-20-2018), gvalliant (03-21-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 07:52 PM

FIRST off there IS a difference between Lawyer and Attorney: Google: difference between the above, answer: "First I will address the difference between a lawyer and an attorney. Practically, these two words mean the same thing, and can be used interchangeably. Both words refer to someone who is trained and licensed to give legal advice. But technically, there appear to be some differences. Jan 12, 2008" . Now let's see how many people will research and learn these 'differences' ". These 'differences' are crucial to learn. Same as in these new days learning the difference between medical care personnel....... There is a Doctor, Family Practitioner, Nurse Practitioner, Registered Nurse, Licensed Practical Nurse etc...... When you THINK your are going to a Doctor more times than not you are seeing one of the lesser. The Doctor only reviews records on a scheduled basis and NEVER sees the patient. Same thing goes on in the legal arena.... Educate yourself, NEVER presume to know... My Mother taught me to be my own Doctor, Lawyer, Accountant, Chef, Housekeeper as well as be my own Teacher. TRUST NO ONE unless I LEARN all about it. Life in this country is NOT about anything with LOVE it is all about steal (thievery) and inflicting as much pain in every avenue---mental, physical and property as can be done.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ib1/2 View Post
My Mother taught me to be my own Doctor, Lawyer, Accountant, Chef, Housekeeper as well as be my own Teacher. TRUST NO ONE unless I LEARN all about it. Life in this country is NOT about anything with LOVE it is all about steal (thievery) and inflicting as much pain in every avenue---mental, physical and property as can be done.
Good post,you are your OWN best friend and in some cases your own worst enemy.To me i learned by myself/naturally to be your own boss and future. Much like prison,life in this country is a power issue everyone wants to control someone phyiscaly or mentally or get over you,best way to avoid it like prison is stand tall and make sure you know who you are and stand up for yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to someguyfrommars For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (11-05-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 08:59 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
I hope your PD does a great job for you. I would have been much better served by a PD than I was by my expensive, but lazy, private attorney.
This was also true in my son's case. The PD really understood the politics of the courthouse and told us our son wouldn't get less than 14 years. At the time, we just thought she wouldn't fight for him. 20,000 later, he got 14 years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Halo527 For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (11-05-2018), fbopnomore (04-20-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 03:29 PM

i plead guilty and was sentenced to 14 months in prison, the reason i took the plea was because for starters if i was found guilty at trial i was facing 5-10 years. That scared the crap out of me and with how the court and my attorney handled my case where i am from i was already guilty in their eyes. Forget innocent until proven guilty....its guilty until proven innocent. i should have been granted FOSA sentencing but was not because the prosecuting attorney said no....(its up to to the judge for that sentencing not her) I asked my attorney about the cpa program and he didnt know anything about it, he said its not a thing (my attorney was a former judge) by taking the plea i was able to get out of prison and on the cpa program within 5 months, it shouldnt have taken that long but things were backed up i am lucky that i looked into things myself otherwise i would have been in longer. just because a person pleads guilty doesnt always mean they are guilty, it just means they are afraid of the what ifs at trial
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksmoran For This Useful Post:
dtmom2013 (11-05-2018), fbopnomore (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 06:58 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I guess the cpa program you mentioned is the Community Parenting Alternative, which allows gps monitoring instead of prison. I hadn't heard of it for Washington State prisoners, but it is definitely worthwhile,
https://www.doc.wa.gov/corrections/j...-parenting.htm

The reason I pled guilty was to cut 15 years off of the sentence my federal judge would have imposed, and the knowledge that the juries I have been involved with (not as a defendant) seemed to believe that anyone who the government is that angry with must be guilty.