Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Parents with Children in Prison For the parents of prisoners

Old 08-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Donation Award 

I'll help anyway I can but I too new to all of this. I'll certainly give moral support though and buy the book when its done!

Kaz
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2016, 01:25 PM

Thanked 1,455 Times in 798 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazInCdn View Post
I'll help anyway I can but I too new to all of this. I'll certainly give moral support though and buy the book when its done!

Kaz
Can I be of any use? No first-hand experience of having a kid locked up, but I am really good at taking in a lot of information and pulling out what matters and writing it clearly.

I'm imagining a folded leaflet. Who's got time for a book at a time like that? There'd be a page headed "The Jail", one headed "The Lawyer", one headed "The Bail Bondsman", one about "The Prisoner", and it should start with one labeled "The Parent" that starts with an illustration of a "Don't Panic" button, recommends making an account on Prisontalk, and lists between three and seven of the most important things to do ("Tell your kid not to talk to ANYONE without a lawyer", "Get your kid's inmate number", "Do not talk about the case on the phone", that kind of thing).

What do people who know what it's like think would have helped them after The Phone Call? Both emotionally and practically.

There could be a book, too, to read after the first rush of events. Wes Denham's "Arrested" already covered the practical arrest/jail/bond activities. Offhand it looks like the open need is for something to help people through the sentence afterward, and through the emotional side at the start of the roller coaster ride.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minor activist For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (11-15-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 08:18 PM

There's a lot of useful advice on PTO but much of it is buried/scattered.

I believe this recent post is a must have for those going through this experience for the first time:

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=691871

While it does starts out asking a simple question - "real lawyer/ vs Public Defender" - by the second page it goes much further than that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craziness For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (10-26-2016), lizlizzie2 (11-15-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 12:00 AM

Check out books by Carol Kent whose son is in prison for life. All her books are amazing, but her latest is written specifically for families with loved ones in prison. It's called, "Waiting Together, Hope and Healing for Families of Prisoners."
The Following User Says Thank You to josieblv For This Useful Post:
craziness (11-01-2016)
Old 12-09-2017, 06:59 AM
Banned

you are not a dummy for sure. Stay strong and keep sharing.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:39 AM
Prison Life Coach

Look at the new world of Prison or Correctional Life Coaching. It is focused on the total recently process but would be useful for any parent needing a professional to speak with as the work through their new life. This is in response to why there isn’t a book.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:41 AM
Prison Life Coach

Not recently but reentry. Love the spell check feature.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:43 AM
Liz

Thanked 1,207 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal729 View Post
So true - phone is always within arm's distance and fully charged.
I programmed the facilty's phone number and entered my son's name in the field that displays the caller - makes it feel more personal to see his name come up when he calls rather than the facility name.
I have done the same thing and put his photo there. With an 8 year sentence, it is his contact info.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingMomofRyan View Post
"I think YOU ought to write the book, LMoR! Touching post."

This is an interesting idea MandyMoo. Right now..this very second..my mind is racing back over the past years to the day I got the call from Ryan as he was being handcuffed and while crying, was telling me he was getting arrested. Me demanding to speak to the police officer (I thought it was some sick joke on his part), only to be told that "Yes ma'am, I am officer so and so and we are taking him to Hood County Jail". I could put a chapter in about Commissary Cookbook and what kind of culinary greatnesses our kids have come up with and the abbreviations that have nothing to do with texting. Up until Ryan went in, I thought a POD was where peas lived. And the OP was right...there are so many feelings associated with a child going down. Such a range of emotions that are just a firestorm in the pit of your stomach and the hole in your heart. What to do with them? Where to find information? What is my son/daughter doing right this moment?

I think I will. I am going to write a "How to and Where to go from here" pamphlet. I won't sell it...but I will send it to new members if they want it.

The thing is practically writing itself inside my head right now. What do y'all think? Do I have what it takes to put emotions and thoughts in a cognitive way down on paper? Would it really be helpful or should I just forget about it?
YES! If it's in your head get it on paper then see what God says or leads. Since your son is home he would be able to give insight and their are other sons/daughters/parents/partners who are home to help. You see all these women who are ready, willing and able to help you with ideas, stories, etc. This project would be a way to bring Good out of this pain. Lessons learned shared with everyone bring awareness of all a person in and out of jail/prisons along with their loved ones (LO) will go thru as we know together & with God is the only way we handle any of it! WE ARE WOMEN & MOMS HEAR US ROAR!
The Following User Says Thank You to Just a TxDC Mom For This Useful Post:
tatonkawia (01-02-2018)