Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > LOVING A... > Loving a Long-term Sentenced Offender
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Loving a Long-term Sentenced Offender For those whose loved one is serving 10+ years.

View Poll Results: what do you do when your man talks about getting his time reduced?
I encourage him, there is a good chance he may get out early 114 41.91%
Wishful thinking, but I don't get my hopes up 136 50.00%
I have accepted his sentence and encourage him to do the same 22 8.09%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2008, 10:21 AM

Thanked 1,847 Times in 1,256 Posts

I put all my hopes into him getting less time before his sentencing. He got 160 months and now he's applied for Post Conviction Relief and I am having a hard time getting too excited about it. Cautiously optimistic maybe. I would love it if he could come home in 7 years but I don't want the disappointment again. I am okay with 13 (we are down to 12) years. It blew me away at first but we just do the day together the best we can and look! 2008 is half over already.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Account Closed

I hope you dont mind me joining in all over the place, i dont get my hopes up i just pray hard, we started off on DR, everyone said he would never get off, but i just KNEW he would, he did we got a chance at parole in 2060 lol, but were going again, lots of stuff was done wrong on both of his trials, i know some day no matter how long we have to fight he will come home sooner than they all think,
Old 06-20-2008, 03:44 PM
BECUZ I'M BETTER

Default I just wonder

He was sentenced to LWOP and he tells me he is getting out by the end of 2008. He has only been in for 4yrs. What do I tell him? All his appeals have been denied, well he is in the middle of a writ. I never tell him it won't happen.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:56 PM
His Soul mate. ..

Thanked 8,162 Times in 6,851 Posts

its hard, but i wouldnt kill his dreams, i guess you never know what the future holds!
Old 06-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Donation Award 

D and I both know that in all liklihood he will serve his entire sentence. At the same time we know with even more assurance that a prayer delayed is not a prayer denied. We know that if we don't get an answer right away that God is working it all out in the background. While we are "realistic", we also know that as long as there is life there is hope.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:42 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabygirlNGary View Post
Im new to the whole prison scene so when he got into this program and gave me the rundown of how he will be out sooner....like this November sooner I totally believed him and was making plans for him to come home this year. Dumb me I know. So I spoke with someone who works at the prison a few months ago....he's been in for a year and a month.....and that person said the program is to prepare him for life it is not a time cut but a enrichment program. I read on PTO about sometimes men do this to help deal with the time. I didnt know that so I believed...truly believed he was getting out. He was sentenced to 10 years do 5 so that was a big azz time cut . Anyway live and learn I am not going to dash his hopes of not getting out sooner but I am keeping it real with myself. I explained to him that the program is not a time cut so he gave another run down of how vocational classes will get him out sooner LOL. I let him have his dreams and if he does get out before 2012 then Happy Happy Joy Joy but for me 2012 it is.
not dumb you. my man lives in that fantasy world too. i fell for it the first like 5 times, thinking, hey maybe he has something here, getting my hopes up. so know that i realize, i am trying to get him to concentrate of what will really get him home sooner.

we have an end date like 7 years from now but he gets a chance at parole every year. so instead of reaching for these shooting stars that fizzle and fade and turn out to be nothing, he has to work on the things that can make a difference. granted its not easy, but it can be done.

so i would say i burst his bubble, sorry but i have to when they are standing in the way of what can really help.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:03 AM
miss myliss (:

i might be wrong for it, but i tell him to accept his setence, in ohio if you were sentenced after july 1, 1996 your chances of getting out early are very slim. while there is always judicial release, not a lot of folks are granted that either. his niece was born right before he went in, he got six years eleven months, he swears up and down that he'll be home for her fourth birthday. i tell him that he'll be home for her seventh! i want us to just deal with the time, because if i pretend he is coming home sooner than he really is, when that day comes and he doesn't come home ill be devestated! and if he does (by the grace of GOD) come home early it will be such a blessing!
Old 06-21-2008, 12:39 PM

well my boyfriend has only served 2 yrs of a 14 yr sentence so we haven't really talked about his time yet to be honest...in the letters I try to refrain talkin about his time at all..but in my last letter i did mention that he is a strong man for not breaking down ...i kno i would have...14yrs of my life..he said he has to accept the responsibility of what he has done..we are really grateful that he has a date...while goin thru trial..there were talks of 75 years and 2 life sentences...so 14 yrs is gracious..but we all kno how crowded the prisons are so most of the time on good behavior...85% is all the usually end up doin...I do have expectations on a early realese..but i've come to terms that it will be a while so i have to be patient...what come can come but I never kno what the future holds
Old 07-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Dwayne'sWife

When he went in everyone kept telling me he will get out soon and he won't have to do any time now here we are a year and two months later with a 30 year sentence and it would be nice if he could come home soon but I don't want to get my hopes up b/c then my kids get happy and I will have to see them cry all over again

Old 07-13-2008, 10:37 PM
Is it 2011?

I opted for the last choice. I gave up on getting my hopes crushed years ago. I've been let down too many times. My philosophy is expect the worst and hope for the best and on really bad days: If you're always pessimistic you will never be disappointed. They can't keep him past 2013 and I know he'll be home by then so anything earlier is a bonus! We have a chance of him coming home within 18 months but I take all of those chances with a grain of salt. He refuses to partake in my negativity but I'd rather not have my heart broken anymore than it's already been.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsbaby41 View Post
we talk about him coming home early all the time.He was sentenced to 25 - life he has served 19 years and hoping and praying he gets a sentence reduction or is granted clemency..I'm his biggest cheerleader
Have you looked at Commutation of Sentence, FS33-601.106? I don't know if it will help, but based on the length of time he's been in it just might.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:22 PM

i still have my hopes up.
even though i know there is nothing really happening legislation wise,
&&even if there was,
it wouldn`t apply to somoene who committed murder.
i don`t have the heart to tell him otherwise though.
i just stay positive and change the subject.
he has so little to look forward to.
=[
Old 07-14-2008, 02:36 AM
SoRRy LoVe!

He tells me that he will get out, i just feel like you never so i go along with him. Nothin wrong with thinkin positive.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:36 PM
Donation Award 

What do we have if we don't have hope?
Old 08-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Happily His =]

We've discussed his possibility of getting out early... but with the sentencing reform act of 1995 that was ammended in 1998 (Jenna's Law) it's going to be extremely hard to get him out earlier than serving his minimum term. Very frustrating! When he committed his crime this law didn't exist... yet they were able to penalize him once it was adopted. I'm still trying to figure out how they are able to do that! If someone commits a crime that would call for the death penalty but there isn't one at the time it occurred, they can't change it to death after the fact should the death penalty be reinstated. But with this sentencing reform act they were able to retroactively penalize all first time violent felony offenders and take away their merit time... really bites! It really doesn't matter to be honest... I will love him no matter where his address is! Don't get me wrong... I would give anything to have him here where he BELONGS... but incarceration will not break us!
Old 08-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Missin Him 24/7

This is a hard subject. My hubby only has 6 months and some days left. But belive me when he first went in all he talked about is some law that might get passed that is going to let inmates out once 1/2 their time is up or somthing because of how crowed the prisons are. After about a month or two of that. I started listening but not taking it all in. Because to me its false hope. To me the only one who can bring him home early is GOD now mind you GOD can do anything and I mean ANYTHING. If he wants to break down the prison walls and let me hubby walk out without a problem he could. But I am not gonna get my self thinking it will happen. I pray that something like this could happen for us all. But I won't go around saying it will. Sorry

Old 08-24-2008, 03:20 PM

While working hard on his first appeal, we both got very excited. We just KNEW it had to get thrown out due to the fact that he did not do this particular crime. (I know - they all say that, right? Im NOT sayin' he's innocent!!) 2 sets of fingerprints at the crime scene - NOT his, he is NOT the one picked out of the line up but the one who was had fingerprint matches to the CS, and the fact that it was proven the judge was biased? Oh we had this in the bag!!! I could almost hear him walking thru the front door!!!
APPEAL DENIED!!!!
OK, so we can apppeal to a higher court, right? We worked even harder on the appeal, crossing all "t's" and dotting all "i's"...... even 2 lawyers I know read thru them and said the appeal should be granted. Fingers crossed, he sent it in........
APPEAL DENIED!!!!
This asshole judge didnt even read it because he was a friend of the judge who convicted him!! And becuz my man has been in trouble before, they "made an example out of him"
There is one final shot, but ya know what? I gave up hope 2 years ago, and told him just do his time and be done with it. I will be there no matter what anyway, and it hurts too much to go thru all that.
Hopefully someone else has better luck than we did!!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:17 AM
Donation Award 

My hubby has been inside for 25+ years and is coming up on his second parole hearing. He did not make his first board. I try to be very supportive, hopeful and prayerful. I always encourage him to pray for the best but prepare for the worst. I hope that doesn't sound too heartless but I am realist and don't want him to live in a fantasy world. He was so crushed after not making the first board and I don't want him to go through that again - so I am trying to be proactive this time.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:13 PM
patiently waiting...

I encourage him to do whatever he can to get less time and tell him how happy I'd be if he got out sooner... all while telling him I'll wait the full sentence. I even let myself believe sometimes, invariably to crushing disappointment... but it's worth it for the few days/weeks of thinking I'll have him sooner until he tells me it didn't go through. I pray and hope and he does the same.

~Mrs. Brian Richards~
I don't know what to do it's true I'm goin crazy over you!
Old 09-19-2008, 09:20 PM
"Faith dies last"

Wow! Despite the fact that deeply in me I know my friend might NEVER come out, I could never tell him that! It's just hard to swallow, he was sentenced to 2 consecutive terms of life that's around 60 years and 45 years added to that; without parole!!!!
Old 10-05-2008, 10:09 PM
The Truth Is Forever
Donation Award 

He has a parole hearing in Nov but we don't talk about it much we just try to stay in the here and now.It would be nice but SC is not easiest for getting parole.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Superwoman View Post
He has a parole hearing in Nov but we don't talk about it much we just try to stay in the here and now.It would be nice but SC is not easiest for getting parole.

I wish him, and you, all the luck in the world, and I hope he gets it!! Keep us posted.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:30 PM
His Soul mate. ..

Thanked 8,162 Times in 6,851 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Superwoman View Post

Best of luck to you both, hope you get a YES, let us know...
Old 10-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Awaiting for my love

Mine was told that he may go up for parole in January, year after he went in. He has a 10 yr sentence, so I dont know how likely he will get parole but all we can do is hope and pray. I would love it if he was able to come home that quickly.

Di

Old 10-13-2008, 08:56 PM
I love my hubby!!!
Donation Award 

i always support him in his wishful thinking. because you never know what can happen. There is always that chance he can get out early not just for my man but for everyone. But i dont get my hopes up cause he might not