Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Cooking & Recipes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2017, 10:33 AM

Thanked 5,959 Times in 3,104 Posts

I like pretty much everything just a few things I hate. Shredded coconut, cheese when melted, milk, crackers in soup, raw onions, peanut butter. I like cheese cold and make a lot of Italian food with cheese I try to only buy the very best mozzarella as it doesn't get that gummy chewy way.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2017, 06:30 PM
TheBee'sKnees
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,717 Times in 1,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
Im hell bent on trying to make french onion soup
Got the cheese, onions (from a coworker and they ARE HUGE....WHICH if why I thought of that soup)
Need the bread.
and the beef broth. NO time to try to make my own stock so gonna have to use canned/boxed.

bbq'ed tonight and damn it came out good.
Ever see the stuff called Veri Teri Yaki?
omg. Its good for marinating chicken. added some pepper flakes and a bit of dried onion.
good stuff.
the rest was leftovers except for the green beans I semi sauted in the small pan.

I even ate two chicken thighs. lol.
Beef (bone) broth in the crockpot is so easy! It will cook while you do other things! I make bone broth all winter with local cleanly raised beef bones. It's good enough to eat all by itself.
sidewalker (08-30-2017), xolady (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 06:22 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,669 Times in 14,444 Posts

Ive def decided Im going to be making stocks for soups this yr.
Ive just got to find a spot in the freezer for the bones and veg scraps til I get enough.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
xolady (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Ive def decided Im going to be making stocks for soups this yr.
Ive just got to find a spot in the freezer for the bones and veg scraps til I get enough.
Ha ha there is the biggest problem I have freezer space!! I'm trying to get a deep freezer (free) but so far no luck. I might be getting one from my neighbor who is moving across town. Speaking of which I need to make a big pan of Baked Ziti, she's been sick and has two teen grandkids living with her who eat a ton. It's rainy and overcast so its a good day for some comfort food.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (08-31-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 07:45 AM

Well I got side tracked yesterday we had Tornado warnings all day and one did touch down in the next town over!!! Of course I was worried that the store I buy my beer, wine at would be wiped out!!! But no my favorite store is good!! It was kind of wild for a bit. I didn't do baked Ziti I made Chicken Pot Pie!!! Turned out great!! Today is friday gotta hit the sales!! Holiday weekend everyone stay safe!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 08:51 AM

Donation Award 

Its going to be a bbq kind of weekend.
I lucked out and got 4 days in a row. (my days off rotate so every 6 weeks I get a *long weekend* so add in the holiday and ta da! 4 in a row)

Its going to be hot. Today is supposed to be the hottest so Im glad Im not working but dinners will have to be bbq. Not going to turn on the stove if I can avoid it.
I forgot I had a steak in the fridge and had taken out chicken.....so I opted for steak, potatoes and a salad last night, so that means it chicken tonite. Not sure what else to make but ......eh....It will come.

That's my dog's nose art

xolady (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 01:09 PM

We are having excellent Grilling weather and I'm looking for some great things to grill!!! I only hope the great weather lasts.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:31 AM

Thanked 2,713 Times in 1,279 Posts

Cooking as always been my meditation and my way to feel calm. YET I think I need to find a new way because I'm eating too much! I'm gaining back all I lost.

Need a new hobby or have to start cooking healthy. Lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-03-2017), xolady (09-03-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
We are having excellent Grilling weather and I'm looking for some great things to grill!!! I only hope the great weather lasts.
Grilled peaches!

Halve the peaches and remove pit. Brown sugar and butter. Wrap in aluminum foil and grill. I believe 15-20 minutes
sidewalker (09-03-2017), xolady (09-03-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Its going to be a bbq kind of weekend.
I lucked out and got 4 days in a row. (my days off rotate so every 6 weeks I get a *long weekend* so add in the holiday and ta da! 4 in a row)

Its going to be hot. Today is supposed to be the hottest so Im glad Im not working but dinners will have to be bbq. Not going to turn on the stove if I can avoid it.
I forgot I had a steak in the fridge and had taken out chicken.....so I opted for steak, potatoes and a salad last night, so that means it chicken tonite. Not sure what else to make but ......eh....It will come.
Marinate the chicken in Apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and lemon. I like thyme with my chicken and a little dill. Makes grilled chx a little fun.

Mccormick's chicken season is my favorite for cooking in the oven.
sidewalker (09-03-2017), xolady (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 07:32 AM

Donation Award 

Well I jury rigged some marinate for the chicken.
Think I put some salsa and hot pepper flakes along with a bit of beer. lol.
Came out good!
Yesterday it was to hot to even. (its been 110 for two days straight! UG!)
So today is supposed to be cooler but who knows how much cooler.
Took out pork chops to grill last night but hub had mercy and bought some tacos for me and burritos for him and son.
So its pork chops tonight. I usually screw those up but maybe hub will be home in time to grill them. I cant seem to get those right.

That's my dog's nose art

xolady (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 08:06 AM

I bought three whole slabs of Ribs. Have been brineing (sp) them over night in beer onion garlic and pepper. I'm going to steam them in the oven first, then grill when they are fully cooked. To me this keeps them moist and delish!! I'm going to experiment and make my own barbecue sauce. I am going to have sweet hot apricot vinagar base! LOL I love spicy stuff but my stomach can't handle to much spice. Matter of fact need to take my protonix now!!! LOL I have to plan my eating around my medicines. My neighbors have been asking me when I was going to do a big barbecue. I'm like hey try cooking yourself!!! I'm going simple ribs, coleslaw, beans, cornbread (this I am hoping comes out editable). Never made cornbread before and tried my friends and loved it. She won't tell me how she makes it we have a little cooking rivalry going and damned if she isn't a stiff competitor. I think I can guess what she does but I really don't want to poison the whole neighborhood!!! Anyway anyone know some easy cornbread recipes?? These southerners don't consider anything but cornbread as a dinner bread!! I'm actually making garlic bread also, in case cornbread comes out crappy!!!
Old 09-03-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I bought three whole slabs of Ribs. Have been brineing (sp) them over night in beer onion garlic and pepper. I'm going to steam them in the oven first, then grill when they are fully cooked. To me this keeps them moist and delish!! I'm going to experiment and make my own barbecue sauce. I am going to have sweet hot apricot vinagar base! LOL I love spicy stuff but my stomach can't handle to much spice. Matter of fact need to take my protonix now!!! LOL I have to plan my eating around my medicines. My neighbors have been asking me when I was going to do a big barbecue. I'm like hey try cooking yourself!!! I'm going simple ribs, coleslaw, beans, cornbread (this I am hoping comes out editable). Never made cornbread before and tried my friends and loved it. She won't tell me how she makes it we have a little cooking rivalry going and damned if she isn't a stiff competitor. I think I can guess what she does but I really don't want to poison the whole neighborhood!!! Anyway anyone know some easy cornbread recipes?? These southerners don't consider anything but cornbread as a dinner bread!! I'm actually making garlic bread also, in case cornbread comes out crappy!!!
https://www.asweetpeachef.com/sweet-cornbread/

This one looks good and simple
The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
xolady (09-04-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 02:46 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,385 Times in 6,952 Posts

Great thread!

I'm about five days into a gluten-free diet (not by choice, but in support of my mama) and I'm doing all the cooking with as few packaged foods as possible. Holy moly. It's a challenge.

Tonight I'm making pizza crust using Maseca (corn flour)...I'm scared. We can't afford to go out and buy a lot of the alternative flours right off the bat (she's also Low FODMAP if you care to Google that restrictive list) so I'm going to wing it.

Any chance anyone has some suggestions for making decent dough this way?
Old 09-03-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Great thread!

I'm about five days into a gluten-free diet (not by choice, but in support of my mama) and I'm doing all the cooking with as few packaged foods as possible. Holy moly. It's a challenge.

Tonight I'm making pizza crust using Maseca (corn flour)...I'm scared. We can't afford to go out and buy a lot of the alternative flours right off the bat (she's also Low FODMAP if you care to Google that restrictive list) so I'm going to wing it.

Any chance anyone has some suggestions for making decent dough this way?
I did Google it! That is set some list. Luckily for you guys now there are a lot of gluten free options out there. I was GF years ago and it was tough.

There are premade doughs and such now. I wasn't a fan on the corn doughs or pastas personally. I'll look to see if I can find a decent GF messa pizza recipe
Old 09-03-2017, 03:48 PM

http://yes-moreplease.com/2014/08/pizza-azteca/
Old 09-03-2017, 04:52 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
I saw, too, and that's pretty much what I'm aiming for. We don't have a cast iron pan big enough so I'm going to have to use a regular pizza pan. Fingers crossed that doesn't affect it too much.

I just went to the store and found a reasonably priced bag of Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free flour so I snagged it. They have a pizza dough mix, too, but with her carb restriction it was just too much. I looked at pre-made GF pizza crusts but half of one crust (about 4x4") was half her day in carbs. I'd do a cauliflower crust but she can't eat cauliflower at this point. I'm starting to think pizza may be out unless this Maseca works.

Yes, the restriction list is insane. But I will say this...she feels good (less cramping, gas, other unpleasantness) and while I am hesitant to admit it, my psoriasis hasn't looked this good in probably 2-3 years. Like mother like daughter?
Old 09-03-2017, 07:31 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
Well, update on the maseca pizza crust. Meh. It wasn't straight to the trash, but it lacks. I know next time to use half that recipe (2 cups). Rolling/patting it out to the size pan she used made it really thick. The edges where it thinned out were better. I also wonder if adding a little fat, like lard, wouldn't enhance it. I'll give it another go making those adjustments and see what I think before I give up.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:25 AM

Wow Mia I thought I had it rough trying to to stick to Low fat, Low Fiber, Low residue, Diabetic diet!!! Like I would be eating air if I stuck to what's acceptable. I just have to really be aware of what foods I have bad reactions to. But on some stuff I just say the heck with it!!! I do ok usually but like today I'm bored so I am eating crap!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
choclgs (09-04-2017), miamac (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 11:32 AM
Owned

Thanked 4,014 Times in 1,835 Posts

Quote:
Wow Mia I thought I had it rough trying to to stick to Low fat, Low Fiber, Low residue, Diabetic diet!!! Like I would be eating air if I stuck to what's acceptable. I just have to really be aware of what foods I have bad reactions to. But on some stuff I just say the heck with it!!! I do ok usually but like today I'm bored so I am eating crap!!!
I agree! I don't see what options Mia has left. I am suffering angst just thinking about it, but then I have no restriction.

Last edited by safran; 09-04-2017 at 11:56 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
miamac (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 11:42 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
I agree! I don't see what options Mia has left. I am suffering angst just thinking about it.

It's bad, but honestly not as bad as it sounds. Or maybe that's just the denial because I have to talking. The hardest part for me is the no garlic and onions. Those are staples of flavor in my cooking and to not have them pushes me to get creative. I made the sauce for the pizza last night and it was actually really good.

This is also temporary. It's an elimination diet to see which foods are her (our?) triggers. In about a month we'll add in one food item a week and see how we feel. Any changes in digestion or allergy symptoms, we can link to that food.

I was just watching a cooking show and they made a potato salad with grilled potatoes, poblanos and corn that looked amazing. That's high on my modify and try list.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
xolady (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I agree! I don't see what options Mia has left. I am suffering angst just thinking about it.
Seriously I was like OMG when I saw all that is restricted!!! I know for me the worst was NO BEER!!! So I kind of just cut out other stuff instead. Because really my life is so boring that a ice cold beer sitting in 90 degree weather is like the highlight of my week!!! I need to find some fun besides the food network!!! I have been reading PP ads more for kicks then any real desire to meet anyone. I would like to do something like take some kind of class as a way to meet people, but where I live there is nothing. I actually belonged to a beer making club that was fun but South Florida and rural Alabama for some strange reason don't have much in common for hobbies for adults! Unless your super religious which I am not!! I wish the friends I have made were more of the Partying type, I would love to go to some good Country Bars, I only have one friend who even drinks. I told a friend that don't she can be our DD. Because the one time we did hang out we both got smashed. I'm a light weight when it comes to drinking. I really miss working as a bartender because I always liked hanging in bars and I got paid well to do it. I'm going to kick back with the Radio, and sip a cold one with my mutt see if she feels like getting a bath today!!! She needs it. I'm tired from yesterday (COOKING 15 LBS OF RIBS)!! No more big dinners for a while. Chow time is gonna be left overs today!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
miamac (09-04-2017), sidewalker (09-05-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 12:06 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,014 Times in 1,835 Posts

When I 1st read Mia's post I looked those restrictions up and I honestly thought I had things reversed. What was allowed vs what wasn't because that is nothing that is allowed.

I had to go to the kitchen and get a snack.

For the 3rd week in a row I bought all the stuff to make gumbo. Last winter I went on a chicken and dumplings kick and I have to admit a time or two it was taste bud heaven.
The Following User Says Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
miamac (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 12:09 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
I wish the friends I have made were more of the Partying type, I would love to go to some good Country Bars, I only have one friend who even drinks. I told a friend that don't she can be our DD.
Aww, I'd totally hang out with you!

I've added wine to my diet recently. I'm not actually a big fan, so that helps. If the American Heart Association suddenly reported that 2-3 servings of vodka per week increased your health, I'd be in trouble. That's my stuff!
xolady (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 12:12 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
When I 1st read Mia's post I looked those restrictions up and I honestly thought I had things reversed. What was allowed vs what wasn't because that is nothing that is allowed.

I had to go to the kitchen and get a snack.

I thought it was wrong, too! I was wondering what kind of sadist sat down and said-- so you want to eat better? Let's eliminate most vegetables and fruits but tell you white sugar is OK. Well it's not, obviously, but for the purpose of gut health I guess it's low priority. But wheat...that sh*t is in EVERYTHING. That's been a challenge.

But don't worry, I'm not starving over here. I've got a leftover slice of Maseca pizza and some bitter but heart healthy merlot. I'm a'ight. LOL
sidewalker (09-05-2017)