Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TENNESSEE > Tennessee General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Tennessee General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Tennessee that do not fit into any other Tennessee sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:26 PM

Question Determinate Probation?

I just received an email from the TDOC and this is what it contained:

" Inmate W, #---, will be certified to the Board of Probation & Parole next week as eligible for determinate probation. BOPP should process the release in about 4 to 5 weeks. His current expiration date is 7/27/09."

I am wondering, is this a good thing? I am a little confused, does this mean he will get released on probation in 4 -5 weeks? He will be certified to the BOPP as eligible next week, does that mean he is already up for it or they still HAVE to certify it? Is there still a chance he'll get turned down for determinate release? I am so new to this it's not even funny, sometimes it seems I haven't learned much after being here, looking things up, what have you... It all goes over my head!! LOL Thanks for helping me out and putting up with my many questions.
Be running up that road
Be running up that hill
Be running up that building"

Last edited by chaotic_peace; 02-05-2009 at 12:56 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2009, 05:42 PM

*bump*
Be running up that road
Be running up that hill
Old 02-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Wearing my cranky pants

uhh good question. I know that when Tony goes up for parole on the 25th, even if the officers recommend him for parole their decision will go to the board in Nashville for review. They can then decide against his parole and he could have to stay. Maybe that's similar to your situation...he's eligible for probation but they still need a final decision.

Can you email them back and ask for clarification?

Hmm ok found this on the BOPP website
Quote:
According to Tennessee Code Annotated TCA§ 40-35-501, felony sentences of two (2) years or less are placed on mandatory determinate probation, after serving 30 percent of their sentence, after a 10 day notification has been given to the District Attorney, Sheriff, and Warden and if no objection petition has been filed.
So actually it sounds like a good thing and they just need to process his paperwork and then he'll be released onto probation!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantalley View Post
uhh good question. I know that when Tony goes up for parole on the 25th, even if the officers recommend him for parole their decision will go to the board in Nashville for review. They can then decide against his parole and he could have to stay. Maybe that's similar to your situation...he's eligible for probation but they still need a final decision.

Can you email them back and ask for clarification?

Hmm ok found this on the BOPP website

So actually it sounds like a good thing and they just need to process his paperwork and then he'll be released onto probation!
Thanks a bunch for your thought, sounds like we are sort of in the same boat. Thanks for posting that little tid bit from the BOPP site, forgot all about that... One of those days I guess. I emailed the BOPP today, to ask them what it means so to speak, I should hear from them within the next day or so. Will update here, or send you a PM - maybe it can give you some clarification on your situation too. Figured I'd just ask everyone around here, maybe someone could offer some hands-on details.
Be running up that road
Be running up that hill