Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > Hepatitis C
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hepatitis C Living with it, inside prison and out in the world.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:37 AM

Angry AZ Dept Corrections & Corizon Ignored Policies in Denying Hep C Treatment

This is a horrible way to treat a human.

Beginning of Article

(Mr.) "Wellington Coppess, who is incarcerated at Santa Rita Prison in Tucson, was diagnosed with Hepatitis C a decade ago, while in the Arizona prison system. He has yet to receive treatment, even though the disease progressed to cirrhosis years ago, and he now faces a litany of other life-threatening medical problems.

Meanwhile, Corizon, the for-profit health care company that the Arizona Department of Corrections has contracted with since March 2013, has received millions from the state ó $5.1 million over the last year alone ó to treat hepatitis C. It's not clear how much of that money, if any, is spent on treating the disease."

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...hosis-11312874
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2019, 01:24 AM

This is corruption. Is this being investigated?
Old 07-04-2019, 10:34 AM

Corizon is the epitome of disgusting. I've been doing a lot of research on them, and they've had lawsuit after lawsuit, after lawsuit. We're about to file one as well. They don't do their job, they're incompetent. ADOC does nothing to make sure they do their job.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSurprised View Post
This is corruption. Is this being investigated?
I think she told me the ACLU is helping them.

I don't know if it will get better or not for him.
Arizona switched to Centurion earlier this month on July 1. The end of the New Times articles said "As Centurion moves in to Arizona, it will be on its way out in neighboring New Mexico, where it has faced allegations of medical malpractice and negligence, among other grievances. New Mexico's corrections department is seeking a new health care provider to replace Centurion in November."

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...njury-11324799
The Following User Says Thank You to kari dunn For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 12:59 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,648 Times in 13,033 Posts

The problem with the healthcare for profit contracts is that their bottom line is influenced by spending the smallest possible amount of money on inmate healthcare. Hep C treatment is horribly expensive, at least here in the US, so the companies will have to be forced to provide it.

Some courts have ruled that prisoners with HEP C must receive the newer treatments/cure, but that only impacts those inmates.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:29 PM

I know someone with a LO who has Hep C. The doctors told the inmate it was undetectable. Now I’m wondering if that’s not true, because they don’t want to treat.
The Following User Says Thank You to SadSurprised For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-20-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 08:45 AM

Incase you don't receive emails from AFSC
Here is a chance for you to speak out on issues with DOC:

After months of media coverage of crisis after crisis inside our state prisons, formerly incarcerated people, their families and loved ones will get a chance to tell state lawmakers what’s really going on inside the Arizona Department of Corrections (ADC).
On Wednesday, July 31, American Friends Service Committee-Arizona (AFSC-AZ) and Living United for Change in Arizona (LUCHA) will host the Arizona State Prison Town Hall event at First Church UCC in Phoenix.

WHAT: Arizona State Prison Town Hall
WHEN: Wednesday, July 31, 6 p.m.
WHERE: First UCC Church, 1407 N. 2nd St., Phoenix, AZ 85004
PANELISTS: Rep. Walt Blackman (Snowflake), Rep. Diego Rodriguez (Laveen), Danny Howe (Tucson’s The Earnest House), Miss Maricopa County Laetitia Hua (ACLU Smart Justice advocate)

Panelists will hear from people from across Arizona who have been directly impacted by the mismanagement of our state prisons and discuss their plans for fixing this broken system. Representatives for Gov. Doug Ducey and ADC Director Charles “Chuck” Ryan have been invited to participate and hear the very real concerns of their constituents.
The Arizona State Prison Town Hall event follows a continuing investigation by ABC15 that revealed cell doors at the Lewis state prison complex in Buckeye that did not lock and resulted in assaults and deaths. State prison complexes in Yuma and Douglas left incarcerated people without water for days in June. In the same week, KJZZ’s Jimmy Jenkins reported that pregnant incarcerated women are giving birth alone in their cells and suffering miscarriages.

Clearly, there is ample evidence of a consistent pattern of mismanagement, abuse, and neglect that stems from an organizational culture of dehumanization and disregard for human rights. Though Gov. Ducey convened an independent investigation into ADC’s practices in April, led by two former state Supreme Court justices, nothing has been done to address the immediate threats to the safety and well-being of more than 42,000 incarcerated people across the state or to ADC staff.

The public is begging our State leaders for action -
and we want you to be there!

Attend in person to learn about the issues from those directly impacted, or share your experiences of mismanagement and abuse from the Arizona Department of Corrections. Two microphones and a "Story Station" video recording option will be set up for attendees.

Code of Conduct for the event:
We understand that these issues are deeply emotional, and that many of us have a great deal of anger and pain. Your feelings are legitimate and valid. At the same time, it is vital that we maintain a civil and respectful discourse so that we can be heard.
Guidelines and suggestions:
Limit testimony to 3 minutes;
We strongly suggest that you write it out ahead of time to be sure that you cover all the key points;
If you think 3 minutes will not be enough, we welcome you to submit testimony in writing; Keep your language and tone calm and respectful;
Focus on the problem, not the person.

Want to be involved but can't attend in person?
1) Follow AFSC-AZ on social media platforms to spread the word before and day of:
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram

2) Write your story/testimony and submit it to AFSC-AZ to include at the event:
Email afscaz@afsc.org
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoluv29 For This Useful Post:
SadSurprised (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 05:07 PM

I know several inmates with Hep C. Some they treat some they dont depending on the severity of the disease. I know some that have been given harvoni no problem when others have been left untreated and now it cirrhosis. The thing is every inmate has a budget if you will. If the treatment exceeds the budget then they wont even start treatment. With a new health care provider we can only hope the treatment is better but probably not because the budget is still the same
Old 07-25-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleysGirl View Post
I know several inmates with Hep C. Some they treat some they dont depending on the severity of the disease. I know some that have been given harvoni no problem when others have been left untreated and now it cirrhosis. The thing is every inmate has a budget if you will. If the treatment exceeds the budget then they wont even start treatment. With a new health care provider we can only hope the treatment is better but probably not because the budget is still the same
What do they need to do to get treatment?
Old 07-26-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
What do they need to do to get treatment?
I'm not positive. From what my husband has told me it's kinda pick and choose from the inmates that have "mild" cases and can be cured with a regiment of Harvoni. But now there is another medication out that can cure it for a fraction of the cost. I forget the name of it, but you'd think I'd there's a cheaper medication DOC and Centurion would look into it
Old 07-26-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
I know someone with a LO who has Hep C. The doctors told the inmate it was undetectable. Now Iím wondering if thatís not true, because they donít want to treat.
It is true that Hep C can become undetectable. The viral load decreases to levels that are low or undetectable
Old 07-29-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleysGirl View Post
It is true that Hep C can become undetectable. The viral load decreases to levels that are low or undetectable
Thank you for this information. What does this mean? Would treatment be ineffective for these people?
Old 07-30-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Thank you for this information. What does this mean? Would treatment be ineffective for these people?
It means that if the levels are so low its undetectable then meds aren't necessary. The body has healed its self.