Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > Australia / New Zealand Prison & Criminal Justice Topics > Australia/ NZ General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Australia/ NZ General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat General Topics & Discussions dealing with Aus/NZ prisons, local laws & legal issues etc. If it doesn't fit into any other Aus/NZ forum post it here!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:39 PM

Default Filing an appeal

Yesterday we got an e-mail from our son's lawyer. His appeal is to be filed within the next two weeks.
What happens from here? How long does it usually take to get to court, or is this it? We are unfamiliar with the system, and would appreciate any info. others have on the processes from here, and the time frame that we are looking at.
Kia Kaha
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2012, 01:48 AM

Hi, it took us a fair few months to get a court date. Basically on the first court date your given an indication of what the outcome may be so you can see if you will continue. Then it's another few months till the hearing and then around 6-8 weeks for a decision. So in total ours took almost a year.

Hope that helps. Fingers crossed things are quicker for you. We did have Xmas in there which made a difference as the courts were closed.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:38 AM

Thanks, Bellie....I guess it is just a waiting game, although I do wonder what the urgency was in paying the solicitor's fee before Christmas!!!! I have sent a return e-mail to ask what time-frame we are looking at, but, as yet, have not had a reply.
Kia Kaha
Old 07-30-2012, 04:05 AM
Donation Award 

It took us many months here to get through the process. I forget the actual time line now, but what Bellie says sounds about the same
Our lawyer also wanted the money up front. hmm, didnt feel we had a choice!
I'm sorry, its not what you want to hear. I just hope your case goes much faster than ours did.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:46 AM

Solicitors have to prepare submissions thats what takes the most time. They only appear in front of the panel for an hour or so. Most of their work is done before filing the appeal so that's probably why they ask to be paid so much in advance. We got an appeal date 5 months after we filed and that was a pretty short wait compared to others. However the result of that appeal is still something that we are waiting on.

Last edited by izzi zk; 08-11-2012 at 01:48 AM..
Old 08-11-2012, 03:49 AM

Thank you, Izzi zk. That gives us some idea as to what the time frame is going to be. We are going to Fiji for a week at the beginning of September and we took out insurance in case Kayne's appeal came up and we had to change our flights...but, obviously things don't move that quickly!!!
Arohanui
Old 08-16-2012, 10:28 PM

The first part of the waiting is over..we now have a court date, 5 December, so at least we can plan ahead. The decision may be another thing!! As it will be prior to Christmas I guess all the 'legals' will take their holidays,so we will be looking at after the new year to learn the result. At least we know that that things are happening, now.
Better start saving so that we can both go over for that date!!