Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

View Poll Results: Facebook or Trouble?
Yes, Facebook helps us stay in touch 5 19.23%
No, Facebook is not worth the risk 21 80.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2011, 09:32 AM

Default Facebook or Trouble?

Hello, everyone, and Happy New Years! I just wanted to ask you all. A friend of my MWI has a Facebook page set up for him. She runs the account, and does all the posting, but my question is this.. I have known a few inmates get into trouble having a FB page, and it can add time to their sentence if they are caught with a page and the CO's or counselors think that they might actually be the ones posting. Now I know some guys do smuggle in cells, etc, and run their own pages. But is it really worth your man getting into trouble and getting extra time to have a FB page? My man has asked that this person remove his page, for fear of getting into trouble, but she refuses. She says she is doing it "for" him so that his old friends can stay in touch with him. Any thoughts?

Greg's Girl
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2011, 09:43 AM

I think if he cant have it and he telling her to take it off and she refuse it sounds like she tryn to get him in trouble. Some fed prison allow FB. But the have to pay. Just as the do email, and phone.It depends on the prison... FB is trouble anyway for some...

*Still Standing*
StressKilla (12-30-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,958 Times in 2,167 Posts

He needs to write FB and request anything related to him be removed.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:51 AM

He's not in federal. He is actually now in a high-security halfway house, and they do not allow FB there. I'm hoping it doesn't cause any trouble. But I did tell him that they can see who the administrator on the account is, and see that he's not the one posting. IDK. Just worried, because he only has 8 months left, after nearly 13 years! If he caught another bid I would DIE!!!

Greg's Girl
Old 12-30-2011, 09:56 AM
Banned

I don't think your BF can get into trouble for having a FB page as long as he's not the one administrating it! I have one for my BF and give him updates on it, mail him printouts and friendlists and things and he's always gotten the mail I've sent him, no one's ever said anything! But if he's scared or unsure if he wants it, then he should just get the girl to take it down! Like someone's already said, if she refuses to do so, write FB and tell them someone's keeping a page in his name and he wants it down.

Last edited by mallafri; 12-30-2011 at 10:05 AM..
Old 12-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,029 Times in 7,143 Posts

I think that this friend is not doing it "for" him if he asked that it be removed and this friend refused.

You can report the page as an impersonation to FaceBook and it will be blocked, he does not need to contact them at all.

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.

Last edited by LeBeau; 12-30-2011 at 12:25 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LeBeau For This Useful Post:
countryzgirl (01-02-2012), FastCarGirl (01-01-2012), SimplyMe123 (12-31-2011), StressKilla (12-30-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 02:17 PM

Thanked 2,403 Times in 956 Posts

How do you create a FB page 'for' someone and then refuse to take it down at their request?!! I would immediately contact them and report it. ANY extra time isn't worth it, especially for a freakin FB page!! WOW SOME FRIEND!! And all those who wish to keep in contact with him can go buy paper/stamps/envelopes and write til their hearts are content! Cause I doubt if he got more time, they would be putting money on his account or visiting to 'keep in touch'!!! Never amazes me how loosely people use the word 'friend'!!! And SHE would be blocked from my life!!
countryzgirl (01-02-2012), StressKilla (12-31-2011)
Old 12-31-2011, 01:52 AM
Keep calm & carry on

She should respect his wishes & take it down. My man &i both think facebook is a little over rated....it was cool in high school time to move on
Old 12-31-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erics4ever View Post
How do you create a FB page 'for' someone and then refuse to take it down at their request?!! I would immediately contact them and report it. ANY extra time isn't worth it, especially for a freakin FB page!! WOW SOME FRIEND!! And all those who wish to keep in contact with him can go buy paper/stamps/envelopes and write til their hearts are content! Cause I doubt if he got more time, they would be putting money on his account or visiting to 'keep in touch'!!! Never amazes me how loosely people use the word 'friend'!!! And SHE would be blocked from my life!!

Amen!!!! California is getting together with FB and looking for inmates with accounts....any found will be blocked/deleted but I dont know how they can do that...i mean if someone goes to prison but has a FB prior to that they cant delete it on their own. They are trying to stop all the cell phone users who r using FB as another form of communication. to me FB isn't worth more time

Old 01-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Onto the next hurdle

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,068 Posts

I had a FB page for Frankie. It got to be too much drama with his mom, and he asked both of us to take the pages down. I did, she didn't. It's a matter of respect for their wishes, if it's truly meant to be "his" page. And if he could catch charges over it....forget it! I would never want to jepordize his freedom in any way. With friends like that, who needs enemies? It seems like it's more about her being in control and monitering what's going on than truly a page for him.

The Following User Says Thank You to FastCarGirl For This Useful Post:
StressKilla (01-02-2012)
Old 01-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsLoveBug View Post
Amen!!!! California is getting together with FB and looking for inmates with accounts....any found will be blocked/deleted but I dont know how they can do that...i mean if someone goes to prison but has a FB prior to that they cant delete it on their own. They are trying to stop all the cell phone users who r using FB as another form of communication. to me FB isn't worth more time

If you have pics from your cell on a cell(lol) that is a sure sign, but some are written as if friends can just come by and see where ol boy is and write him at his prison address.. Almost anyone has one person they trust enough to take it down don't they? Just a call or letter wth the info and it's gone.

I will check, the person I know in the CA system still has an active, up to date site. I was pretty sure family was updating it.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastCarGirl View Post
I had a FB page for Frankie. It got to be too much drama with his mom, and he asked both of us to take the pages down. I did, she didn't. It's a matter of respect for their wishes, if it's truly meant to be "his" page. And if he could catch charges over it....forget it! I would never want to jepordize his freedom in any way. With friends like that, who needs enemies? It seems like it's more about her being in control and monitering what's going on than truly a page for him.

How about MySpace? Is there the same restrictions on there? I see quite a few pages from people there that are just leaving for prison, or written from a "prison" setting...if you wonder where I am, write me at XXXX prison address.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:38 PM
Onto the next hurdle

Thanked 4,506 Times in 2,068 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBI_girl View Post
How about MySpace? Is there the same restrictions on there? I see quite a few pages from people there that are just leaving for prison, or written from a "prison" setting...if you wonder where I am, write me at XXXX prison address.

Myspace, Twitter...I imagine as far as laws go, it's going to cover any networking site. The only way an inmate can update and manage a page like that directly himself is through illegal means. Frankie's got a Myspace page (poor guy, Tom's his only friend) that he did before he went to prison. Nothing has been done with it since.

I connected Frankie with a bunch of friends from high school with his Facebook page while it was up. Used correctly, and for the right reasons, it can be a helpful tool and very positive support network. But if it's against the laws of your state, it's better to just not go there at all.