Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:57 PM

Default What would happen if every prisoner said no more tomorrow?

What do you think would happen if every incarcerated american decided

tomorrow that I have had enough and will not be a slave to the government

anymore? If they truly had enough and said you can take my life, but not my

freedom? There are over 2 million incarcerated and another almost 8 million on

parole or probation. The entire u.s military is less than 2 million. I think this

country would be revolutionized and then really regret the war on drugs and

the stiff sentences for nonsense. In the u.s, "the land of the free", 743 out of

every 100,000 citizens are incarcerated, while in the big bad communist red

china, only 120 citizens per 100,000 are incarcerated, less than canadas 127

per 100,000. Any thoughts?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mors tyranno For This Useful Post:
Jinty62 (12-29-2011), MrsCetina (12-29-2011), PrisonFriend (12-31-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Account Closed

Thanked 4,535 Times in 2,021 Posts

Interesting thought. thought it myself....

However, I know in the prisons it would be shot to kill, and some of the modern prisons, the guards can shut off whole pods and fill them with gas!

I agree with you thou....maybe we will just have to see, right?
Old 12-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Busy Dizzy Admin
Donation Award 

Thanked 21,592 Times in 5,574 Posts

Just a quick note.

Whilst we encourage rhetorical questions at PTO, we do not allow any incitement to violence or the commission of criminal acts.

Thanks for your understanding.

Rachel
Administrator
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rachel For This Useful Post:
countryzgirl (01-02-2012), LeBeau (12-30-2011), Msquiroz (12-30-2011), PrisonFriend (12-31-2011), Sexy_Bella (12-29-2011)
Old 12-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Mrs. Alcorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mors tyranno
What do you think would happen if every incarcerated american decided

tomorrow that I have had enough and will not be a slave to the government

anymore? If they truly had enough and said you can take my life, but not my

freedom? There are over 2 million incarcerated and another almost 8 million on

parole or probation. The entire u.s military is less than 2 million. I think this

country would be revolutionized and then really regret the war on drugs and

the stiff sentences for nonsense. In the u.s, "the land of the free", 743 out of

every 100,000 citizens are incarcerated, while in the big bad communist red

china, only 120 citizens per 100,000 are incarcerated, less than canadas 127

per 100,000. Any thoughts?
I don't see encitement due to the fact that it COULD happen. I hope not because that would almost certainly mean loss of life like was mentioned earlier shoot to kill...let's turn the tables and say what if all the families and loved ones of those incarcerated said no more and went to congress? WE DO HAVE THE FREEDOM AND POWER TO DO THAT.

Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to IloveyouRuben For This Useful Post:
losowife (12-31-2011), mallafri (12-30-2011), MrsCetina (12-31-2011), PrisonFriend (12-31-2011), Txtwisterz (12-29-2011)
Old 12-29-2011, 07:18 PM
Ashmari3

Ya but what if every inmate did a peaceful protest and all their loved ones. A one day thing just to say enough is enough. Im sure some really smart person out there could organize something like that. Im also sure it would get all kinds of news coverage and people would have to listen. Not saying it would but it could make a difference. Just a thought.
MrsCetina (12-31-2011), PrisonFriend (12-31-2011)
Old 12-29-2011, 07:46 PM
in it 4 eternity

i'm so totaly with rachel on this subject....i also think this could be construed as contemplating the incitment ppl. i sorta think the op of thread isn't in the states or they live in a fairytale state of mind remaniscent of the sixties style of protest
Old 12-30-2011, 04:35 AM
Account Closed

Thanked 1,803 Times in 837 Posts

Honestly . . . . . what do I think might happen if the prison population said no more!

I think there would be more CO drafted in to the prison with bigger guns with more bullets and almost certainly an order to shoot anyne failing to comply with prison rules and routine.

I think there are hundreds of Americans who would be more than willing to pick up a gun and spend a few days acting the big man or woman as a CO to bring any kind of 'uprising' under control.

I think everyone would have trouble distinguishing between those people who you might think are in prison for too long for petty crimes and those that are truly guilty of henious crimes and need to be incarcerated for the greater good.

I think the OP has a dream rather than a well thought through plan. Sorry!
Old 12-30-2011, 04:46 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,958 Times in 2,167 Posts

I know that California shu prisoners recently did two serious hunger strikes that got little in the way of results.
These were serious strikes with large weigth losses and medical issues.
It is a nice idea but really,getting even a fraction of the inmate population or their loved ones to take an course of action as a united group is not an easy matter.
I would not want to see any act of violence but did support peaceful hunger stikes.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:19 AM
Banned

I think we can all agree, whether Americans or not, that the justice system in the US with their ridiculously harsh punishments is not working!!!! If you compare the countries in North America and Europe with Australia and New Zealand, the US has the most people incarcerated and also have the highest crime rate. Clearly the system's not working, the government's not doing anything about it, not even Fedcure's seems to do much to push for change so I think it's up to all of us! I like what IloveyouRuben and Ashmari3 suggested, we need to organise us better, the families and friends of incarcerated, we need to march in Washington and really push for change!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Ashmari3

Really the way the system is now its effecting most people. Obviously it effects inmates and those of us who love them. But it also effects employees and their loved ones due to overcrowding and harsher work eviornments. Also most Americans are effected due to the economy right now. I think if we set a date and got all the facts together especially about the high costs (because thats what most people would listen to) and then got everyone to do a peaceful protest we could really do something. Shorter sentancing, easier parole, better conditions ect. Im sure someone whos more familiar with all this could come up with a lot better ideas then me. This is something thats been on my mind a while. My guy doesnt have too much longer but reading the stories of people whos loved ones may never get out, have crazy amounts of time, ect. truely breaks my heart and something has to change.
mallafri (12-30-2011), MrsCetina (12-31-2011), PrisonFriend (12-31-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 08:23 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,958 Times in 2,167 Posts

It is sad that we incarcerate,punish but make few allowances for drug rehabilitation,education and family unification.Theses are all things that save lives,reduce costs and attenuate suffering.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:41 AM

I'm in!

∱r☻m m∂nnĄ's Ӈ∉∂r✞
The Following User Says Thank You to tarazana For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (12-31-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 09:03 AM

The problem in America is everything is a war. The war on drugs didn't work! Drug use in the state''s has never went down but is on the increase. How many people in this system are in there becaues of minor drug charges or nonvolient offences. We need jobs, how about trainning the inmates in jail to help in the reabilation of others. This will give them a good job when they get out and keep many of them on the right track. As of today this system is designed for released inmates to fail. If it take 22,000 dollars to house a inmate. pay them that wage upon release with the proper training to help others. Instead they bury you in fine's debt and unemployment. This way out (Repeat offenders).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prochef For This Useful Post:
mallafri (12-30-2011), PrisonFriend (12-31-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Banned

I agree with rachel and sexy-bella on this thread topic

Last edited by Msquiroz; 12-30-2011 at 09:41 PM..
Old 12-30-2011, 10:22 PM

I doubt that could happen. They are there for a reason and could not overtake the prison let alone the country. The statistics on China are probably low. Not a whole lot of transparency and they probably don't account for the people that go missing in China. See Panchen Lama for example. Just saying. Back to your question: I think that a lot of prisoners would end up hurt as would guards and it would solve nothing. They aren't the right people to start a revolution. That would get terrible press and would totally backfire.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:13 PM

I didnt read all the posts above , because i dont come here often and like to read and post quick, but here is what happens.
There are snitches all over the prison, before it got to the point of shutdown, which is what would happen within 6 months. A snitch would call out the few that are smart enough to know that if the inmates stopped working the prison or prisons would shut down. If inmates bonded together and held strong the prison system would collapse..period. In fact if everyone went to trial the court system would collapse.
The problem with this idea is that few people are strong enough to hold on, and the men that stand strong always get sent to the hole or max/supermax. Because a strong slave is a threat to tyranny.
It's funny and not so funny to witness this in real life. Most will fold in the short term, even though they could benifit easily in the long term.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to getup For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (12-31-2011), PrisonFriend (01-01-2012)
Old 12-30-2011, 11:47 PM

I got to thinking about the chic who posted the question and i was like shit, this gal could lead a revolution, anyways. Read the The Republic, by Plato. The surfs the little people all of us losers could rule the world, if we just stood.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:01 AM
Mrs. Alcorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by getup
I got to thinking about the chic who posted the question and i was like shit, this gal could lead a revolution, anyways. Read the The Republic, by Plato. The surfs the little people all of us losers could rule the world, if we just stood.
Agree

Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk

Old 12-31-2011, 08:02 AM
Ill have you soon princes

Think about this logically... Yes theirs all those people on probation and parole and in prison but how many of them, REALLY are willing to do this?? Maybe the lifers and death row, but my fiancee for example has MONTHS left and if she particapated in anything like this shed either die or get a much longer sentence... 98% of the people on p&p wouldn't help because they don't wanna go back... So the numbers just keep getting smaller and smaller and, let's be honest, if they really did this they'd be shot like dogs .and without a second thought... And how would it make you feel when the people that shot down your loved one, because of some stupid "let's take over the world" mentality, get awards and are all over the news being congratulated??
It's flawed, it wouldn't work, and let's be honest, its just stupid... You did the crime, either do the time, or face the consequences... Which in this case would be 2 to the chest and one to the head.....
The Following User Says Thank You to I_miss_her For This Useful Post:
lovemipapi (01-02-2012)
Old 12-31-2011, 11:11 AM

"I know everyone is innocent in Prison" but I am actually looking at it from an innocent point of view. I went to jail for a day cause i drove drunk, and i was guilty an had no problem with that.
But, i went to prison for 2 years because my house caught fire in January from a fire I had in the fireplace. I sat through a trial where an insurance adjuster replaced the head juror the second day. The whole thing was set up. I can no longer support the Government, sorry that's the way it is now.
Until you witness the perjury the hiding, and planting evidence, and the altering of court trial transcripts you really can't see where I'm coming from, and I understand that, because I didn't know what was really going on either, I was just in my own bubble, I went to work went home, ate, played with the kids ect.
But I know now, so I found this question interesting, because for change to happen either everyone needs to experience what I'm saying or we need to collapse it before.
Ya know smart people learn from mistakes, really smart people learn from other peoples mistakes. You don't want to wind up on the other side of the fence saying to yourself "what the heck is going on. is this the twilight zone" like I did.
The system is broken, period. I lived under a killer, a real killer, bunked with him, killed more than one person, he didn't belong in society and he knew it, he also knew that when he came in, most everybody he was in with needed to be there. He admitted his crimes and was honest, said straight up prison had become about money and most people didn't need to be there, make enough laws and everyone becomes a criminal.
There are alot of good people locked up and wasting away, do the crime, do the time, I agree totally, but crime to me is injury to others, not fabricated stories to fund Government.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:28 AM

Thanked 2,278 Times in 1,619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by getup
"I know everyone is innocent in Prison" but I am actually looking at it from an innocent point of view. I went to jail for a day cause i drove drunk, and i was guilty an had no problem with that.
But, i went to prison for 2 years because my house caught fire in January from a fire I had in the fireplace. I sat through a trial where an insurance adjuster replaced the head juror the second day. The whole thing was set up. I can no longer support the Government, sorry that's the way it is now.
Until you witness the perjury the hiding, and planting evidence, and the altering of court trial transcripts you really can't see where I'm coming from, and I understand that, because I didn't know what was really going on either, I was just in my own bubble, I went to work went home, ate, played with the kids ect.
But I know now, so I found this question interesting, because for change to happen either everyone needs to experience what I'm saying or we need to collapse it before.
Ya know smart people learn from mistakes, really smart people learn from other peoples mistakes. You don't want to wind up on the other side of the fence saying to yourself "what the heck is going on. is this the twilight zone" like I did.
The system is broken, period. I lived under a killer, a real killer, bunked with him, killed more than one person, he didn't belong in society and he knew it, he also knew that when he came in, most everybody he was in with needed to be there. He admitted his crimes and was honest, said straight up prison had become about money and most people didn't need to be there, make enough laws and everyone becomes a criminal.
There are alot of good people locked up and wasting away, do the crime, do the time, I agree totally, but crime to me is injury to others, not fabricated stories to fund Government.
We've experienced this. We know better now. Not enough realize.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:52 AM
aka Joyfully Janet
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by getup View Post
That's incredible.

Until I was falsely arrested, I was of the strong opinion that it's a freak accident when innocent people get locked up...conspiracies don't exist.

Well, I got the wake up call and went bankrupt staying out of prison.

With that said, justice has nothing to do with fairness.

And if you talk to some of my friends, the majority of us will end up being put into detention centers under the blanket of homeland security. And, if such is the case, we'll remember this thread.
Fancy (01-01-2012), lovemipapi (01-02-2012), MrsCetina (01-01-2012)
Old 01-01-2012, 01:26 AM

Ive saw an actual peacefull "work stoppage/refuse to work" happen while I was in prison....you know what happened? No one went to work when the buzzer sounded.....THEN about an hour later, all the units were placed on "lock down" status....after 3 weeks of that (no visits, no phone, no rec, 2 showers a week) ...they tried "work call" again....everyone went to work ....except maybe 10 guys in each unit...(the whole prison housed around 1,200)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hardhitter5050 For This Useful Post:
Fancy (01-01-2012), lovemipapi (01-02-2012)
Old 01-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,308 Times in 785 Posts

ATTICA IS WHAT HAPPENS

I am **old** enough to remember this. Attica, NY is practically in my back yard.

“The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” George Bernard Shaw
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nypurple For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (01-01-2012), lovemipapi (01-02-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 01:41 AM

Thanked 1,097 Times in 598 Posts

The system is VERY flawed and so much more could be done to change it....

However having the inmates "say no more" or "shut the prison down" will NEVER do anything good, it wuldnt ever get the chanes made and Like hardhitter witnessed was my first thot coming in to this tread all that wuld happen is they wuld go in a lockdown, and also if it didnt work that the co's get it under control, then harm wuld end up being done to way too many ppl, ppl with loved one's waiting for them out here!

and the thing is even if they simply said No we ain't doin anything they want us to do, and simply followed directions to go in their cells for lockdown - then what? it's not gonna make any changes - ppl will go on the see look how they act bla bla bla and only make other's that don't understand that the system is flawed continue to feel the same way they already feel bout inmates - and nothing wuld change - they wuldnt say ok less sentences and rehabilatiton which is a HUGE thing the system NEEDS for everything - the job training yeh sum prisons offer it but then what? w/no rehabilation they are still left with all the issues! And so often ppl can have several degree's and come out an have doors slamed in their face cuz "they are a felon" so another biggie society needs to accept ---

it's just a vicious cycle!
The Following User Says Thank You to lovemipapi For This Useful Post:
hardhitter5050 (01-03-2012)