Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes Do you have news relating to California's Prison or Ciminal Justice System and related efforts? Post them here! Also discuss 3 Strike laws.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:30 PM

Default What's going to happen in CA since executions have been halted?

I was wondering if anybody knows where I can find more info on the stop of execution. I know it's stopped for rite now but I was trying to find out what's gonna happened to the inmates? Are they gonna let some go or LWOP them
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2019, 05:49 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad on leave

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,683 Times in 7,685 Posts

My understanding was that the governor wouldn't sign off on executions, but that he wasn't also removing the DP from sentencing. Meaning they just sit with a DP sentence but no date. I know in the past, when the DP was removed, those folks were commuted to LWOP. So if I'm mistaken, that's what I would assume would happen again.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:05 PM

Ok guess I was trying to see what's the chances of them getting their sentences change to LWOP. But I'm new to this DeathRow stuff.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:15 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad on leave

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,683 Times in 7,685 Posts

Here's the CDC page regarding condemned inmates. It links to the executive order by Newsom enacting the moratorium which does include the intent to repeal lethal injection. Neither the site nor the order outline what will happen to the sentences of the inmates, though. Perhaps there is a watch group that has more information. If I find one, I'll post here.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:19 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,730 Times in 7,593 Posts

No death sentences have been changed. To change any sentence from death to LWOP would require one of two things - an appeal of the sentencing hearing that wins, a new sentencing hearing, a resulting sentence of LWOP instead of death. or, clemency granted by the governor to prisoners who petitioned for it. Not a lot of clemencies are granted before the end of a governor's term as granting clemency has a deleterious impact on voters.

The good news is they dismantled the death chamber. The bad news is they can always put it back together. This is a limbo. A lot depends on how the State votes in coming elections.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
miamac (06-12-2019), Patrickj (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 07:23 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug98 View Post
I was wondering if anybody knows where I can find more info on the stop of execution. I know it's stopped for rite now but I was trying to find out what's gonna happened to the inmates? Are they gonna let some go or LWOP them

The people on death row will stay on death row. The death penalty is still in effect. The Governor just will not sign any execution warrants As long as our present Governor is in office no executions will be carried out. No big change for those on death row as of now
miamac (06-12-2019), sidewalker (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 12:08 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 5,818 Times in 2,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug98 View Post

There has been no change in the law. And....let some go? No. Unless there's a case to be made for innocence and the courts agree, they're not just going to let multiple murderers/people who committed particularly heinous murders/people who committed sexual assault then killed their victim just walk out of prison.

The courts are not likely to overturn the death penalty in CA (as Newsom is hoping) because the voters have now voted TWICE in the past ten years to keep the death penalty and one of those times they also passed a law to speed up the process. I'm actually kind of thinking Newsom might be overstepping his bounds, though I doubt it'll trigger a recall.

The reality is, nobody has been executed in California since 2006. By the sounds of it, nobody will be executed as long as Newsom is in office. That's about all anyone can do about the situation for now. New convictions and death sentences will come about, and those folks will just get in line behind the other 800 or so people waiting to go through the process.

-Eric

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson