Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes Do you have news relating to California's Prison or Ciminal Justice System and related efforts? Post them here! Also discuss 3 Strike laws.

Old 09-03-2004, 08:43 AM

Default CA-Retiring Warden Blows Whistle (BIG-TIME)

http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/mo...ld/9572206.htm

This is so huge for California. Wow! Testifying against "The Green Wall" is completely unheard of.

I'd sure like to get a message/letter to Edward Caden, as well as Donald Vodicka, to learn what it was that PROMPTED them to come up with whatever it took to come out with the truth. To learn and try to encourage other guards/wardens (think of the impact) to blow the whistle. Of course Florida comes to my mind, which is a far reach, but that's just me...

~Jillian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Fri, Sep. 03, 2004

Retiring warden blows whistle

Official says guards set up prisoners, covered up abuse
By JONATHAN SEGAL
Herald Staff Writer ©Copyright Monterey County Herald

A veteran Department of Corrections official who headed Salinas Valley State Prison for six months says correctional officers there set up prisoners for prosecution and covered up instances of brutality by the staff.

Edward Caden retires today after 28 years with the state prison system, including a term as chief deputy warden at Salinas Valley State Prison and six months as acting warden.

In the time he managed the prison, Caden said he found that correctional officers planted contraband on prisoners, setting them up for criminal prosecution. Characterizing corruption at the prison as "pretty well organized," he said Thursday that guards beat prisoners and then conspired to cover it up.

Caden was relieved of the acting warden position in early August following the short-lived return of Warden Anthony Lamarque. Caden was then transferred to what he called a non-existent bureaucratic position in Sacramento.

He said Thursday he is retiring because he could not effectively fight wrongdoing in the prison system while working in it.

"Woe to anybody who tries to upset the little apple cart up there," Caden said in a telephone interview from Sacramento.

Caden is not the first to allege misconduct at the prison. Two former guards there have filed lawsuits containing allegations of misconduct by fellow guards and their superiors. One former officer, Donald Vodicka, testified about prison corruption in front of a state Senate committee in January. He described a gang of rogue prison guards, calling themselves the Green Wall, that had been formed to enforce a code of silence at the maximum-security prison near Soledad.

He said the group had intimidated inmates and guards and even had members within the prison's internal affairs unit.

Investigating similar allegations, the state Office of the Inspector General concluded in a January report that Lamarque had prevented timely investigation into the activities of the Green Wall and intentionally misled state investigators about the guard group.

A month later, seemingly as a result of the state report, Lamarque went on sick leave and Caden, who had been his chief deputy, took over.

Some prison employees have said the change was dramatic. Responding to his own findings and those of outside investigators, Caden said he started mandatory ethics training for guards and ended preferential treatment for favored employees. He said he initiated several criminal investigations into misconduct at the prison, some of which are still under way.

On Aug. 2, Lamarque returned from sick leave to retake the leadership at Salinas Valley State Prison. But, following clashes with Caden over reforms, Lamarque worked just five days before returning to disability leave.

At the end of the same week, on Aug. 9, Caden was transferred to Sacramento. Anthony Kane, formerly interim warden at the Correctional Training Facility in Soledad, was appointed to serve as acting warden at the nearby Salinas Valley State Prison. The move leaves Kane's chief deputies in charge at the training facility.

State corrections spokeswoman Terry Thornton said Lamarque could return to his old job if his medical problems diminish.

"This is a temporary situation," she said.

Caden said reinstating Lamarque would be a big mistake if the state is interested in cleaning up the prison. He said Lamarque's return in August immediately energized wayward factions in the prison hierarchy, factions that Caden characterized as a "terror regime."

"There are a lot of people at the institution who are just terrified by this guy," Caden said.

Lamarque could not be reached to comment Thursday. However, Lt. Eloy Medina, spokesman for Salinas Valley State Prison, said Lamarque had embraced the changes Caden made in his absence.

"During his tenure, Mr. Caden reinforced to staff through training many of the ideals Mr. Lamarque believes in. Ethics and professionalism, communication at all levels, and positive, long-term goals for the institution," Medina said in a written statement. "When Mr. Lamarque returned he applauded the job Mr. Caden did in his absence."

But Caden said Lamarque blew off the results of internal and external investigations.

"He gave me his assurances that he wasn't aware of the things that were going on.," said Caden. "He knew that there were eight boxes of investigative materials in the prison, but he never read them."

In the other lawsuit filed by a former correctional officer, Manuel Rodriguez contends in a Monterey County lawsuit that officials at Salinas Valley pressed prosecutors to charge him with a crime because he had blown the whistle on staff misconduct leading to an inmate riot in 1999.

The allegations about Salinas Valley State Prison have emerged against a larger backdrop of legislative demands for reform of California's penal system. The Department of Corrections has received a new set of top administrators and the guard's union, long a potent force in state politics, has lost some influence but remains entrenched in Sacramento.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Account Closed

Isn't this just wonderful news? That finally someone who wasn't afraid to speak up about the Green Wall/ Code of Silence has come forward....Maybe now the Governor
will take a closer look at what really goes on in some of our prisons here in Ca. Abuse
of this nature will not endure. Only hurt each and everyone of us..Thank goodness that
there are real people who work behind the walls that have enough guts to say ENOUGH
IS ENOUGH!!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2004, 01:54 PM

Default Wrong One

Hmmm Anthony Kane...yeah right. He'll cover up. Sorry to say he is the wrong man to confront the Green Wall.

It just sickens me to see how the Department promotes those that have been involved in wrong doing. The Departments mentality hasn't changed. It's still the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric's homegirl
Isn't this just wonderful news? That finally someone who wasn't afraid to speak up about the Green Wall/ Code of Silence has come forward....Maybe now the Governor
will take a closer look at what really goes on in some of our prisons here in Ca. Abuse
of this nature will not endure. Only hurt each and everyone of us..Thank goodness that
there are real people who work behind the walls that have enough guts to say ENOUGH
IS ENOUGH!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2004, 07:57 AM

But of course, Kittie.
Unfortunately, they are going to put their own men in those positions so that they can continue to cover and protect. That is no surprise, really, now is it?
Of course, one continues to hope.....

My hat is off to those who really do step forward and try to make change and clean things up. Those who have been courageous enough to do so, at great cost to themselves, have certainly helped to confirm there is a problem, and at least it is hitting the news now, but unfortunately, it is going to take more than this to fix the problem. But it is a start.

I really don't see any solution to the problem, short of cleaning the place (CDC) out entirely and starting over. Everybody is in bed with everyone else in the CDC.
Maybe a federal take over really would be the best thing....
Old 09-07-2004, 04:59 PM

Default I Guess

Hey Crstdrvn:

Your right.....they have to put people in position to continue to cover up and protect. I guess I'm just sick of all the deceitfulness. Your right.....those that have stepped forward have paid a price and have been very courageous. You would think the Department would be sincere with their statements especially with all the publicity that has taken place. I guess they still haven't realized that everything eventually comes to light.

OTE=crstdrvn]But of course, Kittie.
Unfortunately, they are going to put their own men in those positions so that they can continue to cover and protect. That is no surprise, really, now is it?
Of course, one continues to hope.....

My hat is off to those who really do step forward and try to make change and clean things up. Those who have been courageous enough to do so, at great cost to themselves, have certainly helped to confirm there is a problem, and at least it is hitting the news now, but unfortunately, it is going to take more than this to fix the problem. But it is a start.

I really don't see any solution to the problem, short of cleaning the place (CDC) out entirely and starting over. Everybody is in bed with everyone else in the CDC.
Maybe a federal take over really would be the best thing....[/quote]
Old 09-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Account Closed

At Salinas Valley and every other prison in the State, inmates are set up, beaten up, and abused. But, the situation above about Caden really gets my ire up.

Caden is the same man who denied an inmate at SVSP a simple diagnostic appointment for 60 days in a medical emergency.

Caden is also one of the key individuals responsible for double celling two known violent mentally ill inmates in CMF Vacaville's psychiatric ward which resulted in the death of Inmate Jeffery Ford. The case is partially described online at www.findlaw.com

Ford's parents named him in a law suit but he got off scott free.

In fact, this man recived a promotion to do more harm than good in a position as warden of Salinas Valley.

It took a small army of articles in the Chronicle to get bottled water to the inmates when high nitrates were discovered in the drinking water supply.
Then he lied and said the inmates were getting 64 oz. of bottled water per day, when all they were getting was whatever-sized cup they had filled twice a day. That had to included hand washing in a facility where inmates have high levels of hepatitis and other contagious diseases.

HE NEVER DID SUPPLY WATER TO THE INMATES IN THE PROPER AMOUNTS. I CAN ONLY GUESS HE DIDN"T WANT TO SPEND THE MONEY ON THEM.

Caden is one of hell's gatekeepers who has been just as much a part of inhumane practices as anyone he is accusing and yet he never faces any conquences or displine. And the press considers him a realible enough source to take whatever he says and plaster it all over the media.

Caden is not the type of person I would even allow in my house for fear of what he might do and yet he is considered credible.

On May 27, 2004 a medical emergency was presented to Senator Speir's office that took 65 days to get even get underway. That was under Caden's watch. We are well past the 90 day mark and this inmates is still sufffering with a kidney stone the size of a golf ball.

Now under LaMarque he is getting one container of water per day and being forced to use the water high in nitrites along with other inmates.

These wardens need to be dealt with by means of investagation and prosecution. Instead they are glorified for their neglect.

Why was it necessary for him to be fired before speaking up about inmate abuses?

Don't get me wrong I am glad he fianlly spoke up but I will not glorifiy his efforts. I will appreciate the fact that he has done the right thing now but he must make amends for his actions of the past. All of us know that forgivness is a necessary tool in order to stay with out loved ones. So I will try to find a way to forgive but, his actions in the past were deliberate and hateful with intentions of causing great harm. He used his authority and did these things without remorse. He still showed no remorse for the things he did, he just blew the whistle on others. When he accecpts the conquenses of his own actions, then total forgiveness is not far behind.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:51 AM
Account Closed

ooopppssss....my bad...what was I thinking when I replied...my bad...