Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > WELCOME TO PTO > Introduce Yourself!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Introduce Yourself! Please stop by and introduce yourself and share your story with others in the Prison Talk Online community!

Old 03-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Account Closed

Default Intro--Texas Ole Man from Texas

Howdy Pilgrams in Texas

My name is Texas Ole Man. Actually I do not live in Texas and have not for over 20 years. But Texas is where I was born, raised and San Antonio rings out from my heart each time I remember my old stumping grounds. And no, I am not the Duke.

I live in Wisconsin with my family, (son, daughter, lovely wife, oh and an African Grey Parrot)

I joined this website out of curiosity after corresponding by email with an Ombudsman@tdcj.state.tx.us in Huntsville, Texas earlier this week as I am searching for pictures or images of Texas prisoners being transported from county jails to Huntsville during the 1950-1955 when chains were used during these transports. Prisoners in those days were chained by the neck and waist and tied together with others while being taken to Huntsville from jails across Texas.

I did receive two images showing sets of two inmates chained together by the neck but these images are not the ones I seek. The ones I am looking for show approximately from 15 to 20 prisoners chained together as mentioned above but with a long chain running through the loops in the necks of prisoners all the way from the front prisoner to the last.

The images I seek exist, as I personally "pulled that chain" in 1955 when I was chained in the manner I now am seeking as I was being transported to Huntsville from San Antonio.

I replied to the email that sent me the images I mentioned above to express my interest in the images I mention here. I have not received a reply. Perhaps I will soon as I just wrote my reply last evening.

I hope to engage with you in the coming days and If I can answer any of your questions, please feel free to ask.

Peace

Last edited by Renee; 03-08-2013 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: Edited to add member's title so the Intro Forum title will conform with the rest.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2013, 06:13 PM

Thanked 4,951 Times in 3,184 Posts

Howdy Texas Ole Man! Welcome to PTO! I hope you find the pictures you are seeking. By policy, I have to add the following disclaimer, but I wanted to welcome you, too! Good luck!

Advisory for PTO Members Regarding Requests from Journalists & Members of the Media, and Students/Researchers:

PTO welcomes journalists and/or members of the media to learn and educate themselves about prisons, prisoners, and their loved ones, as well as students and researchers doing research on these subjects.

We will, occasionally, allow the media or students/researchers to request information and personal stories from our members. However, PTO does not endorse any journalist, member of the media, story/report, media outlet, student/researcher, or educational/research institution.

If you decide to communicate with a media representative or a researcher, then you assume all of the risks involved. PTO is in no way liable for the outcome of the story/report/paper. Communication with members of the media and students/researchers is completely voluntarily and PTO holds no responsibility for the consequences of that communication.

PTO does not screen or authenticate any person(s) claiming to be from the media or from an educational/research institution, nor does PTO authenticate their motivations for obtaining the information.

As always, the disclosure of personal information (either yours or someone that is incarcerated) may have some serious repercussions. PTO has no way of predicting how the media or any researcher will present your story or that of your loved one. Any relationship with the media or any researchers is to be entered into at your own risk.

If you receive an unsolicited email or private message from a person claiming to be from the media or researching information for an educational or research institution, report it to the PTO Administration immediately.

[/color][/size][/center]

Old 03-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,898 Times in 13,716 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. I hope you find the photos you are looking for.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Account Closed

Default Thank you Renee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
Howdy Texas Ole Man! Welcome to PTO! I hope you find the pictures you are seeking. By policy, I have to add the following disclaimer, but I wanted to welcome you, too! Good luck!

Advisory for PTO Members Regarding Requests from Journalists & Members of the Media, and Students/Researchers:

PTO welcomes journalists and/or members of the media to learn and educate themselves about prisons, prisoners, and their loved ones, as well as students and researchers doing research on these subjects.

We will, occasionally, allow the media or students/researchers to request information and personal stories from our members. However, PTO does not endorse any journalist, member of the media, story/report, media outlet, student/researcher, or educational/research institution.

If you decide to communicate with a media representative or a researcher, then you assume all of the risks involved. PTO is in no way liable for the outcome of the story/report/paper. Communication with members of the media and students/researchers is completely voluntarily and PTO holds no responsibility for the consequences of that communication.

PTO does not screen or authenticate any person(s) claiming to be from the media or from an educational/research institution, nor does PTO authenticate their motivations for obtaining the information.

As always, the disclosure of personal information (either yours or someone that is incarcerated) may have some serious repercussions. PTO has no way of predicting how the media or any researcher will present your story or that of your loved one. Any relationship with the media or any researchers is to be entered into at your own risk.

If you receive an unsolicited email or private message from a person claiming to be from the media or researching information for an educational or research institution, report it to the PTO Administration immediately.
Thank you for your memo Renee. I find it so weird that Google or anywhere else I have looked does not show images of what look for. Especially because I was personally subjected to those chains I write about.

But I have just written another thread in the Texas oriented section of this site seeking a source to those pictures. In case you`re interested which I doubt considering your burden of moderating I titled my thread, "chained by the neck during transport"

Thanks
Old 03-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Account Closed

Default Thank you fbopnomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
Welcome to Prison Talk. I hope you find the photos you are looking for.
Noting your profile, I would venture as far as assuming that you might have an
idea of the photos I am looking for.

Reading Renee`s memo to me, perhaps it is not permitted for you to assist here.
But thanks for your comment.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,898 Times in 13,716 Posts

I did a google search for TX prison chain photos, and found bunches from the Georgia chain gangs and sheriff joe, but none from TX or the fed.

We avoided the neck chains, only hands, belly, leg irons and sometimes the infamous black box when we caught chain with the US Marshals.

I'm pretty sure the disclaimer is a heads up for the members so they don't provide more personal information than is appropriate.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
patchouli (03-09-2013), Renee (03-09-2013), shaunna (03-09-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Account Closed

Default Chains in the 1950`s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
I did a google search for TX prison chain photos, and found bunches from the Georgia chain gangs and sheriff joe, but none from TX or the fed.

We avoided the neck chains, only hands, belly, leg irons and sometimes the infamous black box when we caught chain with the US Marshals.

I'm pretty sure the disclaimer is a heads up for the members so they don't provide more personal information than is appropriate.
Thank you again fbopnomore. As you say, Google nor anywhere I have looked have what I am looking for...for a good reason I imagine.

The manner of chaining prisoners like I was in the 1950`s was outlawed in Texas while I was still there, due to a fatal accident when several prisoners were killed by broken necks when the "chain vehicle" as it was called then rolled over during a collison.

I do not recall or ever saw only two prisoners chained by the neck as the photos sent to me from Huntsville just yesterday. This new method is new to me too. Texas still chain people....damnnnnnnnn!

I got a heads up from a member who suggested the Texas prison museum and I went there but to no avail. I called and was given an email address of a lady who handles old archives and I just went there. Hopefully I get lucky there.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:33 PM

Thanked 4,951 Times in 3,184 Posts

I'll get to the one in TX too. Thanks for the head's up. fbopnomore is correct in that the advisory is a warning not to share too much "personal" info, but I reallly hope you find what you're looking for! Good luck!

[/color][/size][/center]