Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison and Legal News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Prison and Legal News & Events What is making news in Michigan relating to the prison system, the criminal justice system, etc? Find it here!

Old 05-17-2015, 01:17 PM

Default Prison Alternatives?

Hello, new to the forum, and not familiar with the laws in Michigan!
Have a few questions I am hoping I can find answers to.

My boyfriend has a criminal history all involving alcohol or drugs or anger. He has an alcohol problem and his anger stems from his bipolar and troubles in his younger years.
He is facing a felony assault w/ weapon charge(not a gun or knife)(first felony assault charge, too), a DV, and a Habitual 3rd offense. He has never been court assigned to a treatment program or facility. Just thrown into jail or on probation. Never got any help. He needs medication, extensive therapy, and help. Is there any way to get the court/prosecutors to agree to a treatment facility rather than prison time? Or are they going to just look at him as a violent reoccurring offender and throw him away?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2015, 04:59 AM

Courts won't put people into treatment. The court would have to pay for said treatment and they won't do that. If he is convicted and sentenced to prison time, that might be his best option for meds and treatment. They will assess him at RGC and put him on the appropriate meds (my son also has issues with anger and drugs and he's currently on meds that seem to be helping). There are anger issue classes and NA in prisons. I look at it this way...if my son hadn't gone to prison, he'd probably be dead right now. This is my son's second time in. Your LO won't be helped if he doesn't want it. Treatment facilities are great but the person has to want it and work for it. Many times they don't and that is why they end up in prison.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:15 AM

He desperately wants treatment and help..he is sick of getting himself incarcerated or in trouble. He doesn't want to mess up anymore. He wants the therapy and meds and so on..he just doesn't know how to get it now that he is facing all of these things. Heck, I'd pay for his treatment.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:26 AM

Thanked 1,599 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashuhbear View Post
He desperately wants treatment and help..he is sick of getting himself incarcerated or in trouble. He doesn't want to mess up anymore. He wants the therapy and meds and so on..he just doesn't know how to get it now that he is facing all of these things. Heck, I'd pay for his treatment.
I didn't see where you said he made any efforts to find and attend any classes while he was not locked up. Hopefully he did, otherwise it won't appear that he's as serious as he's saying. A lot of people start talking about how they want to change when they finally get labeled a habitual offender.

Whether in prison or on the street, he will genuinely have to want to change. Just sitting in the classes won't do it. And if he really does want to change, he should have something he can point at that shows he's been making that effort.

He'll have to face what he got himself into, and hopefully there will be appropriate classes and programs he can take to correct the behavior.

Best of luck.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight View Post
I didn't see where you said he made any efforts to find and attend any classes while he was not locked up. Hopefully he did, otherwise it won't appear that he's as serious as he's saying. A lot of people start talking about how they want to change when they finally get labeled a habitual offender.

Whether in prison or on the street, he will genuinely have to want to change. Just sitting in the classes won't do it. And if he really does want to change, he should have something he can point at that shows he's been making that effort.

He'll have to face what he got himself into, and hopefully there will be appropriate classes and programs he can take to correct the behavior.

Best of luck.
He had an appointment with Pathways mental health before he was arrested..but now he isn't going to be going to that appointment of course. It was for therapy and a psych eval to get on his medication and get information on a substance abuse/alcohol program. HE made the appointment. And he wasn't forced to make it, either. I talked to his lawyer today and he said if his previous fines are paid that looks good..and seeing he was trying to get help will look good too. But, depending on the charges(he hasn't gotten the case files yet to review) the court may not really care..Any little bit helps he said. So I am trying to stay positive!
Old 05-18-2015, 11:39 AM

Thanked 1,599 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashuhbear View Post
He had an appointment with Pathways mental health before he was arrested..but now he isn't going to be going to that appointment of course. It was for therapy and a psych eval to get on his medication and get information on a substance abuse/alcohol program. HE made the appointment. And he wasn't forced to make it, either. I talked to his lawyer today and he said if his previous fines are paid that looks good..and seeing he was trying to get help will look good too. But, depending on the charges(he hasn't gotten the case files yet to review) the court may not really care..Any little bit helps he said. So I am trying to stay positive!
At least has can point to something he did to help himself. That won't make the charges go away, but it might count for a little.