Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison and Legal News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Prison and Legal News & Events What is making news in Michigan relating to the prison system, the criminal justice system, etc? Find it here!

Old 02-14-2015, 05:46 PM
Donation Award 

Default My son has Aspergers

Hello,
I haven't been on in such a long time since my husbands appeal was approved and he is home now.
I have another hurdle on my hands and this time it's much closer to my heart, my son. He is 19 years old and has Aspergers and was arrested and is currently in jail waiting to be sent to the forensic place to be tested to see if he is competent to stand trial. His lawyer told me he's had clients that were mentally "worse" than my son that had the tests done and passed, my concern is that after doing a lot of internet research it is stated that a person with Aspergers does not belong in jail, it's considered torture for them which I am finding very true. My son belongs in a treatment center not jail, he's not comprehending why he's there. I've contacted the media, several lawyers including CMH where he currently has services and NO ONE will help us!! I am not gonna let my son be "brushed under the rug". Someone please help! Thank you to all and God Bless!
PS I am in Sanilac County

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2015, 09:16 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

If you have any current info on previous testing he has had, you could send copies to the forensic center for their review. Unfortunately he will most likely be found competent to stand trial. If his lawyer said that he has had clients that were "worse" I might consider looking for another lawyer. He obviously will not stress how Aspergers has impacted on his behaviors and the choices that he made to get him involved with the criminal justice system. As far as those other agencies not being able to help, well that depends on what you think they can do for you. In some ways they can't really do much to help. I would find out if your county has a mental health court as quite a few counties now do. If they do then the lawyer should be trying to get this case involved in the mental health court system if he meets criteria.