Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:17 AM

Default Writing an inmate

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this and would like some advice.
I would like to write to a particular inmate, but I'm a little iffy about using my real name because I don't want his family or friends to know I contacted him.
I met this person not too long and I'm pretty sure he doesn't remember who I am. I have no idea what to say and I'm anxious about how he will respond to me.

The accusations against him are pretty bad and I don't know if I would be putting myself in danger, but I'm almost positive he will be in prison for life.

What are your thoughts on what I should do? If you need to know about his convictions I would happy to tell you via private messaging. I don't want to put his business out there. trying to keep him confidential.

Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2013, 12:29 AM
WINNING! Admin
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,519 Times in 10,151 Posts

Noone in this community need ever know about specific charges unless your question pertains to sentencing, chances for parole etc. Regarding your question, you will have to use a name and return address when sending mail to incarcerated individuals. If you don't want him to mention to his family or friends that you have contacted him, then are you going to let him think you are a stranger that decided to write to him out of the blue? That doesn't seem right now does it, people in prison have feelings just like anyone else. I am not sure what your motivation is, are you? It sounds as though you haven't thought this through and you might want to do that before proceeding.

THIS CORRESPONDENCE
IS FROM A WOMAN IN LOVE
WITH A FORMER INMATE OF
THE ILLINOIS DEPARTMENT
OF CORRECTIONS

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patty For This Useful Post:
MrsJoli (02-01-2013), schatzie73 (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 02:20 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,447 Times in 1,910 Posts

You can rent a post office or renta-center postal box if the address is an issue.
I really wouldn't even go any further if giving your name is a concern or if you can't let family know your in contact.
If that is alrady an issue then maybe you should just let thigs stay as they are.
Guys that will be incarcerated for a long time need stabilty and that comes form maturity.
Maybe your not in that position at this time.My guess is that you still young.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Donation Award 

Hello
Welcome to PTO. As Patty mentioned you def do not have to get into his charges. There is a ton of support and knowledge given on these forums daily, and many people have been or are in your shoes. It seems as though you would like to reach out to him but you are hesitant for your safety. Since it sounds like this all is pretty new to you, its understandable to me why you may be nervous. Why don't you start off by renting a PO box. You can start off by making simple small talk. Not sure why you do not want anyone knowing you are writing him but if that is the case and you decide to write him, just mention to him you rather not have anyone know about your communication. You definitely are not the only person who feels this way. Many people keep this type of situation private not only because they fear their safety in the beginning, but they may have a specific job or issue with their family and their own reasoning why they feel they do not have to share the fact that they have a friendship or relationship with an inmate. Do what you feel. Once you are ready to write him if you decide to do so, take it one step and one day at a time. Many inmates are serving crazy long sentences, and even LIFE and get no phone calls, visits, or mail. A piece of mail goes a long way behind the wall.

Good luck.

Lisa

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockyaddiction52585 For This Useful Post:
Coolskate (02-02-2013), StayGold1988 (02-01-2013)