Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region 2 Facilities > Region II Work Camps, Forestry Camps and Road Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Region II Work Camps, Forestry Camps and Road Prisons Information and Discussion about the following facilities: Baker WC, Cross City WC, Gainesville WC, Lancaster WC, Lowell CI Boot Camp (Youth), Lowell WC, Madison WC, Marion WC, Mayo WC, RMC WC, Suwannee WC, Tomoka WC

Old 02-15-2012, 01:39 PM

Default Loved one @ Lake Butler

My loved one was transferred from county to lake butler rmc about a month ago & was classified as minimum risk. He was sent across the street and is now at lake butler work camp. Just wondering what happens now? He has a 5 year sentence. He's nonviolent & this is his first offense. Anyone know what happens next? Good new maybe?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,303 Times in 978 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirlll View Post
My loved one was transferred from county to lake butler rmc about a month ago & was classified as minimum risk. He was sent across the street and is now at lake butler work camp. Just wondering what happens now? He has a 5 year sentence. He's nonviolent & this is his first offense. Anyone know what happens next? Good new maybe?
What happens next is really boring. You get to settle into life at DOC, day in and day out. Once they are at their permanent camp not much happens for quite awhile. After a year at DOC, if he stays DR free, he'll be eligible to apply for a good adjustment transfer if he wants to go elsewhere, but those can take forever to actually happen (like years) after they are approved. With a 5 year sentence, it will be awhile before he's eligible for programs like work release which are determined by how close to your release date you are. You have some waiting to do now. Here's where it gets to be a grind...

Most guys seem to prefer the work camps to the main camps from what my husband hears - they are usually looser run. They are much smaller and more casual. I hear visiting is better at them in general too. Unfortunately my husband couldn't go to one because of his CPAP machine, so I don't have personal experience to share.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:10 PM

If his risk level goes down I was told he would be moved closer to home & would be eligible for work release? Guess I was given false info ):
Old 02-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,303 Times in 978 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridagirlll View Post
If his risk level goes down I was told he would be moved closer to home & would be eligible for work release? Guess I was given false info ):
How much time does he have left to serve? I was told by Tallahassee that they don't consider inmates for work release until they have 17 months left to serve according to their computer release date.

They absolutely don't move people closer to home just because their custody level went down. Unless they decide it suits their needs to move him somewhere for population or program reasons - in which case they could move him anywhere - the only way he'll move is for a good adjustment transfer or to go to a work release center - but he won't move for that until he's approved and it is his turn on the waiting list to move to the actual center he's going to. They won't move him to a camp that is closer by or anything while he waits for his turn.

The Following User Says Thank You to NAN425 For This Useful Post:
xolady (04-21-2018)
Old 02-15-2012, 09:19 PM

He has way more than 17 months! Okay one last question.. I read that some inmates are allowed to go home after work if they live with someone in their immediate family. It's true or false @ this point! lol thanks for helping me understand everything!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,536 Times in 3,575 Posts

No going home unless it's a furlough from WR that has very strict rules. Only immediate family are approved at furlough sponsors with some other criteria, such as valid DL and car insurance. You are not allowed to go anywhere other than the approved residence or hotel during a furlough. You are subject to being called while he is with you (must have a landline) and must go straight there from the center and straight back to the center. NO DETOURS whatsoever.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!
Old 02-22-2017, 06:05 AM

Default Lake Butler

My husband is being transferred to Lake Butler from County. How will it work if he has a year and a day?
Old 05-09-2017, 05:05 PM

My nephew was sent from citrus county to RMC lake Butler we haven't heard from him in a month we keep writing to him and have sent in a phone bill to be approved. Still have heard nothing in a month . Do you have any info you can pass on to let me and his mom know what we should expect. TY
Old 06-05-2017, 10:04 PM
Sun Dried Georgia Peach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,959 Times in 1,413 Posts

Josorb, welcome to PTO.

It's very common for reception to take 6 - 8 weeks or longer. The mail seems to always be on the back burner. And, unfortunately, the phone list probably won't even get looked at until they ship him somewhere else.

Keep writing and put a little money on his account ONLY IF YOU CAN. Send him paper, envelopes and stamps.

You should hear from him soon.

If not, call and ask!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

'Why' must almost always override 'how'. - Anjewel

DEDICATED TO THE ONES WITH NO VOICE
Old 04-21-2018, 01:59 PM
1 Day at a Time

Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,032 Posts

Does anyone have any current information on conditions at this unit? Or any current information on visitation at this unit?

Seems like all the posts throughout Florida are very old and outdated, and I'm not sure why.

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:20 AM

My husband is a permanent at Reception Medical Center -West Unit. I can tell you there are three areas of the facility. The main unit, the west unit, and the work camp. Our loved one(s) will get the visitation forms from the classification officer and send them to you (I printed mine and sent it), once you complete it, it can take up to 30 days to get approved. My husband was at the main unit before going over to the West unit and he says it's not that bad, they just get locked down a lot because of all the counts they do and they do not get to go outside a lot either. Oh and there is no AC. He also said the visitation will not be real packed because majority of the people at RMC are transits so they do not get visitation until they reach their main camps.