Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Indiana Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Indiana Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc

Old 12-17-2019, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,779 Times in 3,423 Posts

I've sent pictures of cards before too. It sounds like it wouldn't be that interesting, but the recipient loved it. I've also sent pictures of family Christmas trees, complete with the interior of the house and "wish you were here" messages.

In prison, mail is a HUGE deal and makes their days easier.

One caveat that I will add: start as you mean to go on. If you start by writing him a letter every day, he'll get used to it. Then when you find that life doesn't allow you to write a letter every day, he'll be let down. So rein yourself in initially. You can write every day, just make sure it all ends up in one letter. That way the letters may get shorter, but they don't go away completely.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
min373 (12-19-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2019, 06:32 PM

OK, thanks to both of you. I think I messed up though. I've written him twice now but I wrote the letters on white lined paper. Does it have to be white paper with no lines? Also, I didn't see until today that it said I'm supposed to - Address both the letter and envelope as follows:
Offender name, DOC#
Facility name
Street Address or PO Box
City, IN ZIP code

I only did the envelope that way and not the letter. Also, I received my first letter from my husband today and he said that I have to add his cell number which as you see above, it doesn't say that so I didn't do it. So, does this mean he didn't get my letters?
Old 12-20-2019, 11:30 AM
Donation Award 

white lined paper is fine ! He should receive it. Once I used just white paper my friend didn't got it lol, so I switched to white lined paper and everything went well. It's on the IDOC side a rule ! You can find it here for your husbands facility (okay I see here is also white only allowed, not at my friends IDOC facility:

https://www.in.gov/idoc/3178.htm

It would be good if you put the dorm / unit / cell number on the envelope, but normally it makes no problem because they can look up with the inmate number and find him! You need to wait until he will respond to your letter. Write more often than you will get a feeling for how long a letter takes and how fast he receive it. That depends on each facility. My experience was always positive, my friend received everything pretty fast. Mostly same day.
The Following User Says Thank You to mauri23 For This Useful Post:
min373 (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 02:06 PM

Sorry to be such a pain but do you really have to add his name, DOC number, and the facilities name and address to the letter also? Or is just the envelope OK?
Old 12-20-2019, 04:56 PM
Donation Award 

Normally it would be enough to put it on the envelope, BUT thats also a topic not every Indiana facitlity reaches the envelope to the people. My friend received in one facility just the letter without envelope and in the new facility first time the envelope too. Thats something you need to ask your hubby, but to make it sure put the name also in the head of the letter as long as you don't know exactly, I never put the name on the head (in IN)...... but I know it from other states. I have no experience with your husband's intake facility to answer it for sure. Sometimes an envelope gets lost and if you have the name and doc # (without address) on the letter head you make sure that he will receive it. I would do it until I know exactly how it is there !

Last edited by mauri23; 12-20-2019 at 05:01 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mauri23 For This Useful Post:
GingerM (12-24-2019), min373 (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauri23 View Post
Normally it would be enough to put it on the envelope, BUT thats also a topic not every Indiana facitlity reaches the envelope to the people. My friend received in one facility just the letter without envelope and in the new facility first time the envelope too. Thats something you need to ask your hubby, but to make it sure put the name also in the head of the letter as long as you don't know exactly, I never put the name on the head (in IN)...... but I know it from other states. I have no experience with your husband's intake facility to answer it for sure. Sometimes an envelope gets lost and if you have the name and doc # (without address) on the letter head you make sure that he will receive it. I would do it until I know exactly how it is there !
Thanks again! I really appreciate it 🙂
Old 12-20-2019, 05:49 PM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,146 Times in 13,309 Posts

If his mailroom opens the letters, the envelope, etc., can get lost or discarded. It also happens that photos and even letters can disappear. After instances where it was obvious that I didn't receive everything that was sent to me, we began writing my name and ID # on the back of every photo, and on every page of the letters.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
If his mailroom opens the letters, the envelope, etc., can get lost or discarded. It also happens that photos and even letters can disappear. After instances where it was obvious that I didn't receive everything that was sent to me, we began writing my name and ID # on the back of every photo, and on every page of the letters.
Thank you, I will definitely do that from now on
The Following User Says Thank You to min373 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-21-2019)