Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > LOVING A... > Loving a Violent Offender
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Loving a Violent Offender Discuss the issues of having a violent offender as part of your life. Please keep in mind that some of us are married to violent offenders. Please remember that these offenders are human, and as such, can change... just like anyone else.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:23 PM
Account Closed

my man is in for 30 years but picked up an inmate homicide 12 years ago. to make matters worse they shipped him out of state cuz they claim he's a security risk. maybe i'm just feeling really lonely tonight.

barbara
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2012, 11:18 AM

My brother had a arm robbery charge first time offender they gave him ten years with five suspend he only did two years and had the other three on papers.....we as my hubby got a arm robbery charge and a auto theft charge and he got 15 years mandatory this was his second time being lock up and he is finally down to two years
Old 08-02-2012, 04:15 AM

My boyfriend got 15 yrs for armed robbery & its not his first time & its not a federal offense either. Seems odd.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:57 AM

Armed Robbery - sentenced to 10 - mandatory 85% - no parole - serving 8.5 - will be home Nov. 2012, he also has a previous escape so he is classified as level 2 but is serving his time in level 3.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:38 AM

We're in Texas, but mine was a first time offender convicted of aggrevated robbery with a deadly weapon. He only got 10 years and has to serve half, he comes up for parole in a few months. I guess it could always be worse.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:16 PM

First time offender...took a Blind plea to be given 2- 20 yr 85% sentences running concurently for robbery with a firearm...release date is in 2028...oklahoma is harsh! Murders get les time than this here!!!! I would love to trade for some of your sentences!!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 01:05 AM

Where i'm from, the max sentence you do is 2/3 of your sentence.. and if you're from a diff. prison (in the province), you only do 1/3.
My boyfriend got charged with armed robbery, disguise with intent, credit card fraud, and failure to appear x2 and he got an 18 month conditional sentence... thank god for good lawyers. Every court date i was crossing my fingers. But, then again, he was only a first time offence. I consider myself lucky. Otherwise i'd be with my boyfriend in jail for 18 months. :C
Old 10-10-2012, 05:30 AM
Donation Award 

My husband was sentenced to 40 years total for armed robbery 19 years ago. If he serves his sentence as it was given he will have done 27 years in and 13 years on paper after ward. He was 16 when he committed his crime, it was a first offense. So, my husband was given a life sentence before his life ever began, but he has not allowed that to take his life from him. I am amazed daily at the character of people who are handed these amazingly devastating sentences and still find enough love in the world and in themselves to continue to want to make a change for the better. All the while facing a system that is slowly but surely forgetting they house humans and not evil incarnate. Still, in the face of it all, we endure!
God bless!
Old 10-11-2012, 02:08 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenlynch View Post
My husband was sentenced to 40 years total for armed robbery 19 years ago. If he serves his sentence as it was given he will have done 27 years in and 13 years on paper after ward. He was 16 when he committed his crime, it was a first offense. So, my husband was given a life sentence before his life ever began, but he has not allowed that to take his life from him. I am amazed daily at the character of people who are handed these amazingly devastating sentences and still find enough love in the world and in themselves to continue to want to make a change for the better. All the while facing a system that is slowly but surely forgetting they house humans and not evil incarnate. Still, in the face of it all, we endure!
God bless!

Wow, that is a harsh sentence! How can it be that he got 40 years for armed robbery but in my state a woman who killed her child got only 6 years! The system seems so messed up.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:52 PM

Having sat and read all the posts in this tread,all I can say is a really feel for each and everyone of you, my partner is not in for armed robbery but our friend is, the sentence in the UK for a.robbery 1st offence is 1-5years and anything below 5 you only do half the sentence, xx
Old 10-20-2012, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenlynch View Post
God bless!
He is my inspiration as he was in his very early 20's when his crime occured and was shot in the stomach during apprehension (he was unarmed and even though the officer claimed he had a gun no weapon has ever been recovered) so I can appreciate what you are saying as his attitude and faith is astonishing to me which is one of the reasons I love him so very much!
Old 10-21-2012, 04:07 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,421 Times in 679 Posts

Hey there! My youngest son was convicted of armed robbery nearly 20 years ago.

Michele
Old 11-22-2012, 01:21 AM
Be a voice Not an echo

My man is in for armed robbery, he has a prior but they stacked his senteces and he ended up get 50 yrs .... he is in Fed as it was a bank he robbed. No one was hurt... seems a little harsh to me but he is trying to appeal.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:20 PM

My man is serving a 40 year sentence for armed robbery and this is his first offense. In Mississippi it supposed to be a mandatory sentence. He has been taking classes, staying out of trouble and has B-Custody, he has a lawsuit going on for another facility and the lawyer is looking to reduce his sentence to 10 years so hopefully he can get out in 2014. I think they need to go back to the regular 10 year bid, this sentencing is pretty harsh for a 1st timer!! I have seen criminals who murdered a whole family get lesser time...I just pray that it all works out and he comes home to his family. He have seen so many loved ones die while in there and it's tearing him apart, especially his grandmother and great grandmother
Old 02-14-2013, 06:03 PM

I'm in the uk. My man got 4.5 years. X
Old 02-15-2013, 09:20 AM

my mans in for aggravated robbery, hes given six with an additonal year for previously violating parole on a robbery charge smh...he just did his third year flat and is up for parole although i doubt hell be granted but Gods will
Old 02-16-2015, 12:17 PM

Question Armed robbery sentencing

Hi my fiance has been sentenced 2 years for armed robbery, what the chances of him getting out earlier and how early?
Old 02-16-2015, 11:14 PM
Northern Star Moderator

PTO Moderator 

my sons 18 yr old friend got 9-20 yrs/ 7-20 yrs for armed robbery and 2 yr mandatory felony firearms. Michigan has a truth in sentencing law, which requires your to serve you minimum

"Dios sabe porque hace las cosas"
Old 03-21-2017, 08:29 AM

This is really depressing stuff..

My friend has been charged with 2x aggravated robbery w/deadly weapon and 1x assault public servant. He was on bond at the time for assault public servant and 1x drug charge. The drug charge seems to have disappeared.

He was high at the time which still doesn't take anything away from the fact that he committed the offense. But after reading all the different sentences and time people get. It's not looking good.

He's in Texas and from what I can figure (no legal expert) is that it's most likely mandatory 12 years if convicted.

Like lots of people here; he's a good kid just got messed up on drugs and is now paying the ultimate price
Old 03-21-2017, 09:58 PM

Thanked 9,857 Times in 5,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowbay View Post

He's in Texas and from what I can figure (no legal expert) is that it's most likely mandatory 12 years if convicted.
There is no 'mandatory' sentence in Texas. Aggravated robbery is a first degree felony with a sentencing range between 5 and 99 years or life. While it is ineligible for straight probation, the Court can also defer the adjudication in a plea agreement, which is essentially probation for up to a 10 year term. If he screws up the deferred, the entire sentencing range is back on the table and there is no trial on the merits since the defendant would already have entered a plea of guilty to the offense conduct.

The conviction would carry with it a requirement that half of the sentence be served to become eligible for parole, with anything over 60 being eligible at the 30 year mark...
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
K6770 (03-21-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 06:49 PM

My babe was convicted of armed robbery-- mandatory minimum sentencing. He got 124 yrs. First adult offense in since age of 19.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:20 PM

How does age come into play in sentencing? Do they give more years to offenders who did robbery when they adult versus when they were juvenile?