Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Supervised Release, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:34 PM

Default Rules regarding parole

Can a parolee visit another parolee in a halfway house? Are the rules different depending on parole?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2019, 02:00 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,901 Times in 12,648 Posts

It would depend on the rules imposed by the PO. A common restriction is no contact with other felons, so probably not.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:51 PM

Thanked 1,591 Times in 802 Posts

Yes if the PO approves it.

When my husband went on supervised release and we met with the PO, we asked about contact with other felons, both on the outside and at the prison that he was at. The PO said, not a problem as long as my husband tells him the name of the people he wants to communicate with. He also claimed that if my husband didn't run it by him and wrote a letter or email to them, he would know anyway, so best be sure he run it by him. This of course is not 100% accurate as I had written one of the inmate friends of my husband's and basically copied and pasted what my husband said and left it as signed by my husband. It was obvious if anyone had opened it (which the PO said they definitely do at the prison), that it was essentially written by my husband and not me. We knew from my husband being there, that when they opened mail they looked for one thing, but didn't read all the letters. Anyway, the letter got through without issue. My husband's PO was not "told" about it, nor was it sent to him. It is clearly a scare tactic they use. My husband has no issue telling him he is in contact with anyone, but my point is really that it depends on the type of PO you have, what level of felon, what the crime is, etc.

In our case, we're pretty sure the PO didn't even look at my husband's monthly supervisory report because we are shocked that he hasn't asked my husband any questions. First, where my husband had to report the kind of car he drives, for some reason it doesn't list our model, so we had to put unknown. It is obviously an oversight in whomever wrote the database program - not the most competent people as our car is a very popular model. In any case, the fact that he put "Honda - unknown" should be red flag to the PO to contact us to ask how could we not know what kind of car we have. There were some other items like that. But, he never contacted my husband about the report. I assume he also didn't bother because my husband has no fine and already paid his restitution so he is just going through the motions.

So, the bottom line. As fbopnomore said, it depends on the PO but it is not automatically forbidden.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:18 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,901 Times in 12,648 Posts

US Probation Officers have much discretion. However, a standard condition of supervised release in all cases (chapter 2, VIII) is "Communicating/Interacting with Persons Engaged in Criminal Activity and Felons". I know a few guys who were sent back to prison for making a phone call.
https://www.uscourts.gov/services-fo...ase-conditions
Old 05-28-2019, 06:36 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,080 Times in 1,383 Posts

I think it will be an uphill battle to get permission, depending on the prior relationship. It's not the kind of decision that usually gets granted. Also, it's a small thing, but parole is only in state situations, not federal.