Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in New Jersey that do not fit into any other New Jersey sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-22-2004, 10:21 AM

Default State Bill 2750

:fb: PLEASE READ BELOW AND MAKE CONTACT. THIS IS A BIG STEP TOWARD PRISON SENTENCING LAWS. OBVIOUSLY, THE SYSTEM IS INFECTED AND MCGREEVY IS CHALLENGING SAME. YOUR VOICE MUST BE HEARD FOR NOT ONLY YOUR LOVED ONE BUT OTHERS.

New Jersey FAMM legislative alert
January 8, 2004

SENATE PASSES SENTENCING COMMISSION BILL!
ASSEMBLY VOTES MONDAY

The Senate passed Senate Bill 2215 today bringing us one step closer to establishing a commission to review New Jersey’s criminal code (Title 2C). The Assembly will vote on Assembly Bill 2750 Monday, and if it passes, will send it to Governor McGreevey to sign into law.

Call your Assembly members today!

It’s important your Assembly members hear from you before Monday! Please call your Assembly members and urge them to vote YES on A. 2750! Tell your lawmakers that this bill has strong bipartisan support in the legislature and from citizens.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2004, 08:20 PM
...over easy
Donation Award 

This Bill was substituted by the identical Senate Bill [s-2215]; it passed the Assembly [both house and senate] on 1/12/04 and McGreevey signed the Bill on 1/14/04!!!
This is the first big step w/many more to come in getting the sentencing guidelines changed in NJ!!!

ERacism

...if i know anything at all,
it's that a wall is just a wall
and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
Old 02-23-2004, 09:06 PM
~ Just Married ~ 6/4/05 ~

This is all great NEWS!

Old 02-23-2004, 09:16 PM

Thumbs up

Thought I copy and paste the who article so everyone can be informed what Adea posted earlier ... I think this is a great thing and we all need to do our part to be active .... I am going to be sending thank you letters. I wish I would have seen this earlier cuz I missed the first meeting listed here in Paterson.

Happy Reading NJ PTO'rs ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Jersey

New Jersey FAMM Legislative Alert
January 27, 2004

Victory! Governor signs commission bill

Governor James E. McGreevey signed Assembly Bill 2750 and Senate Bill 2215 on January 14, establishing a commission to review New Jersey’s criminal sentencing policies. The commission bill had broad bipartisan support in the legislature, evidenced by its unanimous passage in the Assembly on January 12. The Senate also passed Senate Bill 2215 (identical to A. 2750) on January 8 by a 23-to-10 margin.

The staff, lobbyists, members and supporters of Families Against Mandatory Minimums (FAMM) worked diligently to ensure that the legislature adopted this smart on crime policy by keeping the issue at the forefront of the lame duck agenda.

“Legislators deal with hundreds of bills during the lame duck session,” said Lynn Nowak, FAMM lobbyist at Nancy Becker Associates. “We are grateful the Governor, Senate and Assembly leadership, and bill co-sponsors made the sentencing commission a priority despite a tight schedule.”

Once established, the fifteen member commission will be charged with studying the fairness of New Jersey’s sentencing laws in Title 2C, and preparing a report with its findings and recommendations to the legislature. The 15-member commission will be comprised of representatives from the Office of the Public Defender, Office of the Attorney General, and Department of Corrections. In addition, the Governor, Senate and Assembly will choose four public members with a background in victim’s rights, addiction counseling, judicial law or criminal justice to sit on the commission.

Title 2C has not been comprehensively reviewed since it was established in 1978, and New Jersey’s enhanced penalties which have facilitated population growth have not been evaluated since they were enacted in the 1980’s.

Senator Nia Gill, co-sponsor of S. 2215 stated that, “The work of this Commission will be significant in the examination of New Jersey's criminal codes and penalties. I believe the role of this Commission is pivotal in evaluating what the cost of those laws has been in financial and human terms, and its impact on our communities”.

According to a recent report by the Sentencing Project, a Washington-based criminal justice think tank, African Americans are 13 times more likely than whites to be incarcerated – twice the national average and the highest of any state.

New Jersey has the highest percentage of drug offenders in its population at 36 percent. The national average is 20 percent, according to the Department of Corrections.

The impact of New Jersey’s criminal laws has been felt most deeply by the state’s African American and Latino communities. “Eighty-one (81) percent of all people in prison are black or Latino, which has significant ramifications for our families, our neighborhoods, and our economic and political power,” said Gale Muhammad, New Jersey FAMM outreach coordinator.

“New Jersey needs a new motto: Instead of being tough on crime, it is more effective to be smart on crime. New Jersey must join almost 25 states that, in the past year, have re-examined two decades of tougher sentencing laws. Let's ask the questions other states are asking: Will treatment give better results than incarceration for some drug offenders? Are mandatory minimums making us safer? Is there a smarter way to deal with those who break the law? This commission will be looking for what works. New Jersey needs to be smart on crime,” said Assemblywoman Mary T. Previte, sponsor of A. 2750.

“Creating the commission couldn’t come at a better time. Other states have re-examined the economic and social costs of prison and harsh sentences, and rolled back mandatory minimum sentences and severe penalties, especially for nonviolent and drug offenders. We can learn from these states, work with members of the community and other organization, and identify what is most cost-effective, fair and appropriate for New Jersey, while ensuring public safety concerned are addressed,” said May Va Lor, New Jersey FAMM project director.

Action Items:

Thank the sponsors of the legislation

Please write or call the sponsors or co-sponsors of the legislation and thank them for their leadership. The co-sponsors of S-2215 were Senators Nia Gill and John Adler. The sponsors of A. 2750 were Assemblyman Michael Patrick Carroll, Peter Barnes, Assemblywoman Mary Previte and Linda Greenstein and co-sponsors were Assemblymen Peter Eagler, Herb Conaway, Willis Edwards and Assemblywoman Shirley Turner.

To locate addresses for these lawmakers, click here and look them up by name.

Next Steps

FAMM members and supporters plan to work closely with the commission to advocate for increased judicial discretion in sentencing and other important reforms. FAMM is also developing legislation on “drug free school zone” offenses and will have more information for members shortly.

Attention: NJ FAMM needs case studies

We desperately need cases of people convicted of non-violent “school zone” drug offenses! Showing the human and fiscal consequences of mandatory sentences is the first step to winning public support. If you or someone you know fits this criteria, please fill out the enclosed case study form and send it to Jim Cho, FAMM Foundation, 1612 K Street, NW, Suite 700, Washington, DC 20006.

FAMM MEMBERS IN PRISON: We need your help!

We need your help to build the FAMM campaign in New Jersey. PLEASE ask friends and family to call and write in support of the bills, sign up on the FAMM website or call or write the New Jersey FAMM office, if they are not already on our mailing list. Please help by keeping your family members informed of events and by sending the NJ FAMM office news articles about sentencing and correction policies (please make sure they are dated and have the newspaper name marked). Also, make sure others know about FAMM and, if you can, translate for those who do not read or speak English.

If you have a computer, the fastest way for you to get the news is by e-mail alerts. Please sign up to receive e-mail alerts today! Click here to join the e-mail list. If you have any questions, please call FAMM at (973) 693-0066.

Mark your calendars! Upcoming New Jersey FAMM events:

January 31
FAMM chapter meeting, Paterson, NJ
1:00 to 3:00 p.m.
The Pilgrim Outreach, Inc.
449 Union Avenue

February 28
FAMM CAN Workshop, Toms River, NJ
9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Please RSVP with FAMM

For more information on FAMM’s New Jersey campaign, please contact FAMM at (973) 693-0066 or:

May Va Lor, NJ project director at mlor@famm.org
Brenda Pearson, NJ office assistant at bpearson@famm.org
Gale Muhammad, NJ outreach coordinator at gmuhammad@famm.org

New Jersey FAMM has moved!
NJ FAMM has moved. Please make a note of the new address and stop in! NJ FAMM, 17 Academy Street, Suite 308, Newark, NJ 07102, (973) 693-0066. Click here to download a list of NJ FAMM coordinators.

Old 02-23-2004, 09:40 PM

EGS, I also tried to log on to the And Justice For All website and I got an error. Do you have the correct website? I also want to make a donation AJFA like I did at FAMM on behalf of me & my fiance. Can I do it via the web or should I go the snail mail way? Let me know - Tks.

Old 02-24-2004, 11:02 AM
...over easy
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky427
EGS, I also tried to log on to the And Justice For All website and I got an error. Do you have the correct website? I also want to make a donation AJFA like I did at FAMM on behalf of me & my fiance. Can I do it via the web or should I go the snail mail way? Let me know - Tks.
Snail-mail works....website is being re-done. Address is: AJFA, PO Box 4608, Phila. PA 19127 [Philly b/c this is where I live!!!].
Thanks!!!

ERacism

...if i know anything at all,
it's that a wall is just a wall
and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
Old 02-24-2004, 09:33 PM

Oki dokie EGS ... I will send it via Snail Mail ....