Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 09-06-2017, 04:34 AM

Default Fiance has cancer, its time to continue chemo, should I be calling Medical?

Hello! My fiancé has cancer. He's been at Chino about 5 weeks now. He needs to start his chemo back up and has been asking questions to that matter. Then Dr. put him on a medical hold. From what I understand CIM is not a place you want to be going through chemo at. I have his release of information and took proper steps to make my concerns known by calling ROI Access Line. Someone even called me back the next day to verify I was me. They were supposed to call me back by close of day last Thursday but no one has. I'm afraid to keep calling because I don't want anybody taking anything out on him. This medical hold has stopped the classification process also. We're looking at 7-8 mths before fiancé and I can talk on phone. I'm worried if he starts chemo and gets as sick as he did with the first cycle that he could possibly die. Scared I won't even find out he's bad sick again. Should I keep calling medical? What about calling his counselor that he has yet to see? Thanks for letting me vent. This is all so foreign to me.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2017, 07:17 AM

Thanked 4,050 Times in 2,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byondmycntrl View Post
Hello! My fiancé has cancer. He's been at Chino about 5 weeks now. He needs to start his chemo back up and has been asking questions to that matter. Then Dr. put him on a medical hold. From what I understand CIM is not a place you want to be going through chemo at. I have his release of information and took proper steps to make my concerns known by calling ROI Access Line. Someone even called me back the next day to verify I was me. They were supposed to call me back by close of day last Thursday but no one has. I'm afraid to keep calling because I don't want anybody taking anything out on him. This medical hold has stopped the classification process also. We're looking at 7-8 mths before fiancé and I can talk on phone. I'm worried if he starts chemo and gets as sick as he did with the first cycle that he could possibly die. Scared I won't even find out he's bad sick again. Should I keep calling medical? What about calling his counselor that he has yet to see? Thanks for letting me vent. This is all so foreign to me.
If you have his Hippa release I'd call, I had my husband's and information was hit or miss as was his medical treatment. I hope things are better in California then they were in Florida.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Byondmycntrl (09-06-2017), fbopnomore (09-06-2017), missingdee (09-06-2017), sidewalker (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 11:30 AM
She's Home! Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,894 Times in 1,653 Posts

This is one of those situations where I would say potential backlash against him by guards (unlikely since you are dealing with medical) is not as dangerous as him not receiving proper treatment.

Continue to push for answers and making sure that his needs are met. They might be a pain to deal with at times, but to my thinking this is way more important than the prospect of a couple of guards giving him a hard time or tossing his cell to send some sort of ill-defined message.
The Colorblind Moderator (I'm not even going to try to use green down here, I'll embarass myself! LOL!) Currently assisting in all forums and actively monitoring Wives and Girlfriends in Prison and the California forums.

#ByeCDCR #TimesUp #HomeForChristmas
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
Byondmycntrl (09-06-2017), xolady (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 02:21 PM

The other thing I thought of if he was getting chemo he should file for compassionate release now. I know if I had known my husband had cancer I would have had him file when he still had a chance of surviving cancer. See if this is an option, it can't hurt to try because frankly medical treatment in prison is almost non-existent. I don't mean to scare you but they don't care about him in there. If he can be out and get treatment that would be the best possible outcome.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
missingdee (09-07-2017), sidewalker (09-07-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
The other thing I thought of if he was getting chemo he should file for compassionate release now. I know if I had known my husband had cancer I would have had him file when he still had a chance of surviving cancer. See if this is an option, it can't hurt to try because frankly medical treatment in prison is almost non-existent. I don't mean to scare you but they don't care about him in there. If he can be out and get treatment that would be the best possible outcome.

He can file for compassionate release even if he just got sentenced.
The Following User Says Thank You to Byondmycntrl For This Useful Post:
xolady (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byondmycntrl View Post
He can file for compassionate release even if he just got sentenced.
I would think so in my state the only thing that counts is if it's a terminal illness. I don't know the law where you are but it's worth investigating.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Byondmycntrl (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 06:32 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,318 Times in 10,449 Posts

Having him sign a HIPAA release that allows the prison to discuss his case with you is an important first step.

If either of you feels he is receiving substandard medical care, you should contact the federal court receiver who has been given total control of California prison systems healthcare,
http://www.cphcs.ca.gov/
Old 09-06-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
I would think so in my state the only thing that counts is if it's a terminal illness. I don't know the law where you are but it's worth investigating.
The thing to know is you no matter what you can't file for compassionate release he has to. Sounds stupid but it's true. No matter what he has to be his own advocate. Good luck and god bless.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Byondmycntrl (09-06-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and help
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Byondmycntrl For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-07-2017), missingdee (09-07-2017)