Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 05-03-2004, 02:16 AM
WA JustGirl in TN

i visited my guy today and mentioned this topic to him, there was a guard standing very close by so he skipped a couple words but he said he has seen the exact lables, and heard the kitchen guys discussing it...He is sick of eating the rainbow colored roast beef, says it makes him kinda bathroom bound...LOL...anyhow...where do we send letters to and is there a set formed letter that everyone is using? this just urks me that they are serving food that could be harming the guys in any way whatsoever...
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfesFaile2
where do we send letters to and is there a set formed letter that everyone is using?
If you scroll back up through this thread, post #28 has the bulk of addresses.
You will want to send a copy to:

Northwest Region Administrative Office

8625 Evergreen Way, St. 100 S
Everett, WA 98208-2620
(425) 356-2800

TNC posted her letter, and mine is in here somewhere.

Hope your visit went well!!!
Old 05-03-2004, 03:06 PM

I was just wondering if anyone has had any response yet? As of now I still havent heard back from the Gov or the DOC
Old 05-03-2004, 04:22 PM
Donation Award 

No response yet.

And I have run out of stamps and envelopes!!! LOL
I am sure there are more people I could write to!!
Old 05-07-2004, 12:19 AM
Packer Fan

To me this just sickens me. I did temporary work in a cheese factory and I remember the bins that were labeled not fit for human consumption in big bold letters on every side of the bin. and i remember the rules we had to follow about those bins. If we touched the outside of it or inside even if we had gloves on we had to wash our hands and reglove ourselves. we had seperate tools for working with that bin. I know the things that got sent to the bins and to think that they would feed humans it just makes my skin crawl.

Old 05-20-2004, 03:01 PM

I finally received a letter back from WA DOC.

May 11, 2004

Ms. Tanya (last name removed)

Dear Ms. :

I have been asked to respond to your recent correspondence sent to Governor Locke. You wrote to express concerns regarding the food served to offenders in Department of Corrections (DOC) prisons. Specifically, you state that food marked “Not fit for human consumption” is served to DOC offenders.

Meals in DOC facilities are nutritious and well balanced. A Food Service Program Administrator oversees the statewide Food Service Program, and a full-time Registered Dietitian certifies a standard menu that is followed by all Washington State institutions. Offenders are served three appetizing and varied meals each day that meet or exceed nutritional standards. The menu at DOC facilities is basically a heart-healthy diet, designed to meet nutritional needs. There is a six-week rotating menu, with special meals provided for various holidays and religious celebrations.

Please be assured that DOC has not received any food products marked "Not fit for human consumption.” Food purchases are made in compliance with the purchasing and accounting requirements of the Office of State Procurement, Department of General Administration. There have been no reports of food making offenders sick.

We understand how important food is to the offender population and strive to put out the best food possible. If an offender has complaints related to the food he is served, he has opportunity to utilize the Offender Grievance Program. By submitting a complaint through this program, offenders are assured of an investigation into their complaint, a written response, and the opportunity to appeal that response to a higher level review.

Related to your question of whether I would eat the food in prison, I have done so on many occasions. Every day institution staff eat the same food as is served to offenders. Custody staff who are assigned to work mandatory overtime are provided a meal the same as that served to offenders. Facilities also have the option of providing the same meals served to offenders to state and contract staff and guests at a reasonable price.

Thank you for advocating on behalf of offenders and for allowing me this opportunity to follow up on your concerns. You might be interested to know that last month I responded to a letter from a constituent who claimed that “the food order is fresh tomatoes all year, mushrooms and butter.”

Sincerely,

Eldon Vail, Deputy Secretary
Office of Correctional Operations

EV:tab.GOV399
cc: Governor Gary Locke
Secretary Joseph D. Lehman
Old 05-20-2004, 03:56 PM
Donation Award 

Yep. Got the same letter.

Nothing yet from any one else I contacted.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:23 AM
Donation Award 

VAIL!!!!
Sorry I'm late on this subject - this is the $%$#$#!! that said that the money the DOC receives from "inmate phone calls" goes for inmates to have things like "Weight lifiting equipment" (didn't mention they have to PAY to use it), "Sewing machines" (where?), "TV's", and "Holiday items" - HOLIDAY ITEMS???? I asked my husband about his "holiday items" comment and he said "what? You mean the 2" candy canes we got?" Yep, $5,000,000 in revenue from inmate phone system spent on "candy canes" humm.............
Ok - so here's what I did (with Dad - ex con from the 50's advice)

1) I emailed the Local Health Department and want to know when was the last inspection at AHCC, what (if any) violations were there.
2) When is the next inspection and do they let the DOC know before they go in?

I contacted the DOC correspondence unit and asked for the amount PER inmate - Dad said they have that cost.

Also, on the DOC website for WA, there is a section to get onto certain email lists - I joined the State Diatitions - I haven't gotten on yet (just got my approval - that'll be revoked when they get my email) but I think we should all post emails to the diatition and the Dept. of Health.

Now, "somewhere" I saw that inmates (I want to say Texas) filed a law suite about the food in the prison system. They won, and now all DOC staff in the facility are REQUIRED to eat their meals in the dining hall - with the same food that the inmates eat. Seemed to have worked, guess the food got better. Does anyone know what state/prison this is - we should do that here. I asked my husband if he's ever seen guards eating what they eat ........ok, he couldn't stop laughing -guess NOT! Wonder what Mr. Vail had for lunch today? Bet it was better than our guys got.

Dad says that they used to go on food strikes on a regular basis because the DOC will get in big trouble if inmates don't eat. But he says that the guys inside now have no "solidarity" like they did "in the good ol' days" when he was there in 1950. I tend to think he's right in a way, but see they couldn't take good time away in the 50's like they can now.

I also put in a Request for Public Information for the food vendors - specifically for the vendor that supplies food to the kitchens in WA.

Now, here's an interesting thing I found in the RCW's. The DOC is not supposed to "contract out" for services that can be done in a facility unless they can't produce that "service" inside for the same or lower cost than they can contract for.

At Airway Heights - they have an entire food processing plant that they make food that gets sold to stores etc...... Why are our guys eating stuff that isn't from their own factory that's being sold to the public????

I think it's petition time (or law suite). My husband said they got "fish" the other night at Airway that was about a one and a half inch square and "just over" a table spoon of instant something??? He said it's a joke. What's worse, is that when you've got a bunch of oppressed, hungry and angry inmates.......it can't be safe for anyone (I'm a cranky bitch when I'm hungry). Now with DOC tagging even more money from the incomeing funds, it's even harder for us to get them money so they can "suppliment" food from commissary.

Airway is apparently the only facility that won't let inmates receive food packages as part of their quarterly family packs.

What I'd really like to do is put together a Petition/Proposal to the DOC on streamlining the facilities rules/regs and making some serious changes. Do you think we have enough people on here from WA to make it work?

Last edited by tamaulipas; 05-24-2004 at 03:25 AM..
Old 05-28-2004, 01:58 PM

I know someone who works in a WA facility as a nurse and I asked about the food issue and they replied " Oh, you mean the green meat?" They stated that some of the inmates are sick after almost every meal, because the food is so bad. There are constant complaints of stomach problems and this person experienced it first hand after eating lunch one day and also got sick. Said they would never touch the food there again. This just sickens me, having a son in the system and to think that my dogs eat safer food than he will get is is not to be tolerated!! If we all keep yelling, sooner or later the right person WILL hear and maybe something will be done.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:14 PM

In marine Corps bootcamp they serve the recruits food marked "not fit for consumption except by Military and Inmates." If the Gov't doesn't care what they are feeding our troops then they surely dont care what they feed our prisoners.

One thing to note about Aramark, They handle food service in a large number of Prisons and Jails in this Country. They also handle a lot of the Commissarys and if the food sucks then the Inmates spend more on commissary items that are more profitable for Aramark. Recently Aramark took over the Commissary in one Jail (they were already running the kitchen) and almost immediatly the quality and amount of food went down. In turn Commissary purchases went up
It's not about saving money, It's about allowing private Companies to make money. Aramark spends a lot on Political campaigns and lobbying.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:15 PM

Thank goodness my man is in Montana. I have seen what they searve, and the quantity. Although for grown men, the quantity does not seem like a lot, and not everyone would agree on the taste, they serve them 3600 calories a day and it is always well balanced. The nutritionists that they have in Missoula really know what they are doing and always put pride in their work. Some of their food is so good, that most of the staff will eat it also!
Old 07-25-2004, 09:05 PM
Banned

My TX penpal has lost 38 pounds after their daily calories were cut to 2500 a day.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:41 AM

Hi there...check out what I found...google fedcure and this is on their FAQ's:

What can we do about bad food? NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION LABEL?
If anyone gets a label to FedCURE with the "unfit" language on it, we will put it on the Federal Bureau of Prisons, National Food Service Administrator's desk the next day in Washington, DC. The facility food service administrator can expect to be fired.

Peace, love and happiness can change our world.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourislandgirl For This Useful Post:
leighmarker (09-04-2011), Stephen's girl (12-11-2009)
Old 12-09-2008, 12:10 AM
Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CET View Post
My TX penpal has lost 38 pounds after their daily calories were cut to 2500 a day.
The average person is suppose to eat 2000 to 2500 daily. I don't understand how he lost 38 pounds eating normally. 2500 plus cal a day will make a person gain weight. I'm sure there is a reason for the diet it may even be, they don't want to be sued by some sue happy person because their loved one gained weight while in prison. There's a reason for it..
Old 12-09-2008, 09:09 AM
Movin forward
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,178 Times in 1,378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourislandgirl View Post
Hi there...check out what I found...google fedcure and this is on their FAQ's:

What can we do about bad food? NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION LABEL?
If anyone gets a label to FedCURE with the "unfit" language on it, we will put it on the Federal Bureau of Prisons, National Food Service Administrator's desk the next day in Washington, DC. The facility food service administrator can expect to be fired.
The trick is getting a label with this information out of the facilities!!
Old 12-09-2008, 01:23 PM
PrOpErTy Of MiChAeL

Thanked 3,591 Times in 1,607 Posts

The "not fit for human consumption" isn't even the worst part of it. The fact that the use by dates are always expired, not just by days, but sometimes months.
For anything to be done about this, first off people would actually have to care about what goes on in prisons. Fact is, they don't. American Citizens have this tendency to like to say lock them up and throw away the key and never think about them again. As long as the criminals are off the streets, who cares what happens to them. They should eat food that is rotten, maybe it will make them not want to ever go back and be good and blah blah blah ..... this is what your average citizen thinks. Until you change the minds of average citizens, nothing will ever change.

"What a long, strange trip it's been"

Old 12-10-2008, 06:58 AM
Donation Award 

You are so right. Not enough people with voices care. The advocates are doing what they can but they are few in numbers.

What I have always done for my hubby is to always make sure that he has enough money on his books to buy food from the commissary, which is not gourmet by any means, but it is much better than what is being served in the mess hall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgot420issuesx View Post
The "not fit for human consumption" isn't even the worst part of it. The fact that the use by dates are always expired, not just by days, but sometimes months.
For anything to be done about this, first off people would actually have to care about what goes on in prisons. Fact is, they don't. American Citizens have this tendency to like to say lock them up and throw away the key and never think about them again. As long as the criminals are off the streets, who cares what happens to them. They should eat food that is rotten, maybe it will make them not want to ever go back and be good and blah blah blah ..... this is what your average citizen thinks. Until you change the minds of average citizens, nothing will ever change.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:05 AM
lost faith in system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuro's Wife View Post
You are so right. Not enough people with voices care. The advocates are doing what they can but they are few in numbers.

What I have always done for my hubby is to always make sure that he has enough money on his books to buy food from the commissary, which is not gourmet by any means, but it is much better than what is being served in the mess hall.
I totally agree. I also make sure my brother has enough money in his account. It is very sad how they are treated behind bars.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:09 PM

my son got shipped to lac in kentucky from vermont and he lost 20 pounds in a month he said the food is terriable, but he also said that it is much better there more to do, classes, work,commisary is really cheap, play stations, tvs,and they can smoke or chew..i always try to keep money in his account,i have to, that way i know he is eating and im not worrying!!!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJT View Post
I went on a visit last weekend, and my fellah told me something that has me very upset. Okay.... SCREAMING MAD!!!!

WA DOC is purchasing and serving inmates food clearly marked "NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION."

How many insitutions are serving our loved ones food not fit for animal feed?

How can the DOC get away with this?

Not only how can they get away with this, what can be done to stop it????

I believe that all of the prisons are doing this. All we can do is continue to write everyone and everyone. (governor, newspaper, radio stations, organizations)
Old 08-02-2009, 08:05 PM

Thanked 5,154 Times in 2,376 Posts

Unfortunately, this is not new! Federal inmates have been receiving such food for a long time. Back in December of 2008, Kenny Linn, at FedCure was trying to help out with this. He advised to get one of the labels out as proof!
I know my fiance had food poison once! (Diagnosed, documented, and then not treated!)
Here is part of a message from the situation at the federal prisons.

Kenny Linn, J.D., LL.M.
> Chairman, FedCure

Kenny,
not to start anything, but I worked in the kitchen at Devens and
expired food as well as the "not fit for human concumption" food was
the norm. Puddings in 2007 had a 2005 exp date on them...

Old 08-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Banned

I think it would be good to have a description of exactly what is in the boxes...what type of food?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:09 PM
keepin' it 100

http://nourishedkitchen.com/illinois...ners-soy-diet/

They were replacing meats and baked goods with TOXIC amounts of soy to 'lower the cost' of feeding the inmates.

Complaints include chronic and painful constipation alternating with debilitating diarrhea, vomiting after eating, sharp pains in the digestive tract, especially after consuming soy, passing out, heart palpitations, rashes, acne, insomnia, panic attacks, insomnia, depression and symptoms of hypothyroidism, such as low body temperature (feeling cold all the time), brain fog, fatigue, weight gain, frequent infections and enlarged thyroid gland. Since soy contains anti-fertility compounds, many young prisoners may be unable to father children after their release.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:09 AM

Default Thanksgiving dinner

Last Thanksgiving my son called and I asked what they had for dinner.

He said we had RAW turkey, then he said guess what, I said what, he said he ate it any way !!!

I asked why he ate it and he said... because I was hungry momma, it broke my heart.

Since my son has been in prison we still celebrate holidays and I make the dinners, but I just can't sit down with everyone and share it knowing what my son is having.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:32 AM
keepin' it 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomNpain4son View Post
Last Thanksgiving my son called and I asked what they had for dinner.

He said we had RAW turkey, then he said guess what, I said what, he said he ate it any way !!!

I asked why he ate it and he said... because I was hungry momma, it broke my heart.

Since my son has been in prison we still celebrate holidays and I make the dinners, but I just can't sit down with everyone and share it knowing what my son is having.
awwwww =/ thats sad as hell. i would feel bad as hell too. i wouldn't be able to eat knowing that my kids are suffering either.