Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 09-26-2017, 05:52 PM

Default Wakulla correctional institution not giving medication

My ex husband wrote me a letter saying he does not receive his daily seizure medication. I'm very concern for his health and safety, also they don't get their meals until very late. they receive their lunch at 4 pm and their dinner at 9 pm. This is not acceptable and something needs to be done NOW. Who do I turn to? please help if anyone knows or is going trough something similar.. Need advice as soon as possible. We need to speak out for the ones that can't.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2017, 06:14 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,317 Times in 10,449 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Unfortunately Florida state prisons are some of the worst in the country. Be sure to check the Florida prison forums to meet other members who are familiar with that system.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128
Old 09-26-2017, 06:15 PM

Thanked 4,046 Times in 2,173 Posts

Do you have a hippa release from him naming you? That's important and if you do call and talk to head of medical.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Juniesgal (09-28-2017), nmorales (09-29-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 07:33 PM

Thanked 1,085 Times in 603 Posts

I have no idea if this works. Let us know what happens.

There's an "Office of Family Services" in the Florida DOC. Scroll to the bottom of the page at http://www.dc.state.fl.us/pub/annual/9899/execaff.html.

Another approach is to ask your state legislator's office to help.

Whatever you do, remember you're exposing your loved one to retaliation by the prison authorities.
Juniesgal (09-28-2017), nmorales (09-29-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmorales View Post
My ex husband wrote me a letter saying he does not receive his daily seizure medication. I'm very concern for his health and safety, also they don't get their meals until very late. they receive their lunch at 4 pm and their dinner at 9 pm. This is not acceptable and something needs to be done NOW. Who do I turn to? please help if anyone knows or is going trough something similar.. Need advice as soon as possible. We need to speak out for the ones that can't.
Hi! As an ER MD, A prior Prison MD, and the mom to a son tht was not receiving his meds in prison ( for seizures as well) my approach was blazing strong. 1st I got my son to sign a HIPPA and a Non-HIPPA form. The reason for this is because what we normally think is private protected med info somehow turns otherwise, and we never have the form we need. This is something I suggest to every person w a LO thts incarcerated. Dont have them date the forms, just sign them. 1 of each is fine. Dont have them write who they are for.... just have them sign them and mail them to you. Then you have them anytime you need it. Make copies when you need it, keep the original and fill in the copy. Until you have that form in your hand, and a copy sent to the facility- ( I actually made 2 in my sons case, 1 to the exact facility he was in and 1 to the WI DOC) no one will talk w you. What he needs to do, is write to the HSU dept every day, EVERY SINGLE DAY. eventually, he will get them back w their excuse on it. Once he gets that back- he sends it thru the inmate complaint process. Meanwhile, once you get the HIPPA forms back, you can call the HSU and ask to speak to the nurse. This is where it gets tricky- you will catch more flies w sugar then if youre angry w them. Explain wht has happened, ask them whats happening. sometimes they forget to order, sometimes the DOCs list of approved meds change. call 1x to a nurse, if no change, call 1x to the director of nursing. if no change, start sending letters. As your doing this, hes pursuing his way of complaint. Another thing tht you should ask ur LO, is if he is on seizure precautions. This means he wears a wrist band tht states he has seizures. In WI, it means the inmate can only be on a lower tier in a lower bunk. It means chemical agents cant be used on him. ( other methods of force can if needed- but hopefully not) It means COs cant shine flashlights in their eyes. These are pretty standard rules for everywhere, but that "sz precaution" will alert the nursing staff to keep up with things. I do not worry abt retaliation when Im calling abt medical care. ( I actually never call anymore, I send certified letters to everyone and their mamas) Its the conditions of confinement that youll have a problem with if you tackle that on your own. ( meal time, etc) ... I am sure that you arent the only person w a LO in Fla thts concerned w this, is there a reform group, justice group in your area? You can find out how to hook up w them and see if this is a huge issue-- because then you can turn to the absolutely wonderful ACLU. Is this an issue since Irma? or before? Also, enc him to write to HSU if hes having an aura or any of his sz symptoms. My son develops an aura every time they forget his medicine..... ( get what I mean?) If I can help more, pls let me know.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:37 AM

Thank you very much. This is very helpful to me. Will request those form, God bless you!
The Following User Says Thank You to nmorales For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (09-29-2017)