Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > General Health Care
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Health Care Prison Health Care.. Medical, medications and all that go with it related to health care in the prison system...

Old 07-02-2016, 10:11 PM
Southern Fried Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 2,525 Times in 978 Posts

Ok, so I've worked corrections.

I now have a LO in prison.

I've seen it from both sides.

Prison health care is complete garbage. The system is set up for apathetic workers - if you actually give a damn and have high standards for the care you give, odds are you'll become frustrated and leave. Correctional facilities do not have the resources or necessary pressure from paying customers to create an atmosphere of excellence.

I remember once I went to work at a jail for a day. An inmate came to the clinic complaining of being short of breath and having chest pain. Every single person there laughed at him and told me to send him back because he's always "faking it." Instead, I took his vital signs and to make a long story short, he spent a week in the hospital recovering from heart trouble.

I could tell so many stories from my time at my permanent job....but i won't. Do I think I made a difference? Sure. I know my genuine love and concern for the guys was a breath of fresh air, but I couldn't change the system. And in the end I couldn't be part of something I hated so much. I couldn't sell my soul and my ethics to make a lot of money providing substandard care.

As far as my view from the other side...My boyfriend has lost 3 molars in prison thanks to one cavity. The dentist broke a tooth trying to pull the one with the cavity and then broke another tooth trying to remove the OTHER tooth.

He had himself removed from the psych caseload because the psychiatrist just told him to "deal with" the meds they put him on causing him to twitch and go blind in one eye.

I can't speak to the medical care at his current unit becauee he hasn't been. He's requested to be seen over and over again since April, but to no avail.

Last edited by WeepingWillow; 07-02-2016 at 10:14 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WeepingWillow For This Useful Post:
jadah (07-03-2016), miamac (07-02-2016), xolady (07-02-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2017, 03:15 PM

Some input as an ex-prisoner...

I never received compassionate care. I broke a tooth off and had to wait for 3 weeks in agonizing pain to even be seen by a dentist. I broke my foot and after having it set, I was given ibuprofen and told to drink a lot of water. Most of the medical staff in there are not allowed to care, and even if they do, they are restricted on what they can and can't do. I was taking medication for depression, and due to miscommunication by the staff, missed the "pill line"... when I saw the nurse, she told me I'd just have to wait until tomorrow because she wasn't allowed to open back up for me, despite the fact that it was a medication that can cause severe issues if a dose is missed.

Their general solution to everything is ibuprofen (which they won't even give you, you have to buy it yourself) and water because they aren't allowed to do much else.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:39 AM

I am a nurse and one of my best friends back home works in a medium security prison in Illinois. She took the job for pay/benefits.

I considered it a few years back because of the pay/benefits and ended up realizing I am too compassionate and I am also a HUGE advocate for mental health treatment. Mental health treatment is a joke and no one really trys to diagnose and set up a medication regimen that works. It's hard to even get previously prescribed medications approved and by the time they are the person is so f'd from not getting it.

To hear her talk at times it isn't as safe for her (short staffed) as she would like and she can't do a damn thing about a lot of things she would like to.

I decided to work in an ER.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsandstripes View Post
Some input as an ex-prisoner...

Their general solution to everything is ibuprofen (which they won't even give you, you have to buy it yourself) and water because they aren't allowed to do much else.
So if you don't have any and commissary isn't but once a week you just have to wait until you get some? And if your indigent and can't afford it you don't get it at all?

Yeah it's definitely not for me.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:36 AM

Thanked 1,088 Times in 604 Posts

Back up to OP's question: can she make a difference?

Does anyone listen to nurses about treatment decisions? If not, is there a way to make them listen? Like maybe accumulating facts, or starting a paper trail that looks like routine tracking but that everyone knows could be used in court if they screw up?

What happens if she blows the whistle on conditions? I mean besides the obvious. If the legislators find out, if the prison's avoid-getting-sued department finds out, if the press finds out, would anything change?

OP strikes me as definitely a Decent Human Being. Heaven knows the prison system needs more DHBs. Wouldn't want to discourage her from trying but she deserves plain answers of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minor activist For This Useful Post:
K6770 (03-17-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 11:56 AM
Donation Award 

I can only hope and pray you become the person who does make a difference , maybe thats why you were offered the job. Go for it, reach out to our people, May God be with you, if you help one you'll help another, be our backbone!