Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region 1 Facilities
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida - Region 1 Facilities Discussion and information for the following facilities: Apalachee-E CI, Apalachee-W CI, Bay CF, Blackwater River CF, Calhoun CI, Century CI, Franklin CI, Gadsden CF, Gadsden Re-Entry Center, Graceville CF, Gulf CI, Gulf CI-Annex, Holmes CI Jackson CI Jefferson CI Liberty CI NWFRC NWFRC Annex Okaloosa CI Quincy Annex Santa Rosa CI Santa Rosa Annex Wakulla CI Wakulla CI Annex Walton CI

Old 10-19-2004, 09:05 PM

Default Jefferson Correctional Institution Q&A

Jefferson Correctional Institution
o 1050 Big Joe Road
Monticello, Florida 32344
o (850) 342-0500
o http://www.dc.state.fl.us/facilities/region1/103.html
o FAX: (850) 997-0973
o E-Mail: jeffersonci@mail.dc.state.fl.us
o Chaplain's Office - (850) 342-0385
Directions: From I-10 take Exit 225 to (US-19 North) approximately 2 miles, turn right on County Road 158, go approximately 5 miles, turn left on Big Joe Road at (Green Jefferson C.I. sign and dirt road), go approximately 1.5 miles. Institution is on the left.

Please Note: GPS systems and mapping sites such as Mapquest, Bing Maps, or Google Maps often provide incorrect directions to our prison facilities using the physical address. Please use the above directions when traveling to this prison or click the map to the right of this page.

Historical Information: Initially built to house male inmates, this facility's mission was changed in 1990 to house adult female inmates. On October 1999, Jefferson's mission was changed back to housing male inmates. Tallahassee Work Release Center and Shisa West Work Release Center are under the supervision of Jefferson C.I.

Total Staff (on 7/11): 253

Type of Housing Units:
Open Bay Housing Units - 7
Cell Housing Units - 1
Room Housing Units - 0
Total Capacity - 1,179
Other Information:
Population Gender - Male
Adult or Youthful - Adult
Facility Level - 4
Self Contained Housing Units - Yes
Designated Confinement Space - Yes
Custody Grades - Close, Medium, Minimum, Community
Medical Grades - 1 through 4
Psychological Grades -1 through 3
Wheelchair Capabilities - Yes
Hearing Impaired Capabilities - Yes
Re-Entry:
•Veterans Support Group
•Automotive
•Real Estate
•Credit & Debt Management
•Parenting
•Direct Discipline of a Godly Man
•Anger Management
•Restaurant Management
•Employability
•Serve Safe

Academic Programs:
• Adult Basic Education
• General Educational Development (GED)

Vocational Programs:
• None at this time

Substance Abuse Programs:
• Alternative Residential Therapeutic Community
• Pre-Treatment Motivation Program

Chaplaincy Services:
• Chapel Library Program
• Religious Education
• T.D. Jakes Satellite Location
• Way Home Bridge Builders
• Worship Services

Institutional Betterment Programs:
• 100-Hour Transition Program
• Alcoholics Anonymous
• Batterer's Intervention
• Fresh Start Smoking Cessation
• Law Library Program
• Library Program
• Active and Passive Sports
• Wellness Education

P.R.I.D.E. Assignments:
• None at this time

Community Work Squads:
Dept. of Transportation - 0 Squads
Public Work Squads - 2 Squads
Interagency Community Service Work Squads - Yes
Please post any additional information (or anything else that we should know!!):

Visitation Hours
Visiting Rules (not the ones listed in the 33’s, but first hand knowledge rules, things they do and don’t pick at, etc)
Visiting Hints (attire, what time you should get up there, is it crowded first thing in the AM, do you get a number? etc)
Visiting Procedures – Do they use the old system by just taking your ID and giving you a slip, or are they using the computer hand check-in system?
Visiting Room (Does it have indoor and outdoor visiting rooms? Big/Sm?)
Lodging Nearby
Attached Images
File Type: gif 103.gif (37.2 KB, 40 views)

Let's finish them this time boys!!
WooHoo!!

Last edited by Anjewel; 02-27-2013 at 01:29 AM.. Reason: update info
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2006, 05:41 PM

Hubby is here. They have the hand check system. I haven't gotten there real early, so don't know if it's busy then or not. They have a decent size indoor room and a nice outdoor area. The canteen has not run out of anything the two times I have been there. They have some games that you can use, you sign them out with your pin number. They also have some kid books and blocks for the younger ones. That's about the only nice thing I can say about them. Most of the guards are not so nice (to put it nicely). There's one female guard who I can not stand, but one female guard who is very nice/friendly. They sign you in on a paper, after you get through the hand thing and the metal detector, and also write down every piece of jewelry, hair ties, etc. That's about it. If you have any questions I'll be happy to try and answer them.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:28 PM

Default Jefferson CI

Does anyone have info on Jefferson CI? My son was transferred there recently.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:55 AM

Hi,
I have a pp he's in Jefferson CI.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:43 AM

Default Jefferson CI

I have a son in Jefferson CI. The facility is located in Monticello, FL approx 40 miles east of Tallahassee. The population is made up of all levels of inmates from minimum to maximum security. The racial mix is approx 80% black & 20% other with normal (?) breakdown of gangs. hope this provides some info.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:20 PM

Is your loved one still at Jefferson?
Old 08-28-2007, 08:10 AM

My fiance is at Jefferson, has been since right before the new year started.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:55 PM

How far do you have to travel? Where do you travel from?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:19 PM
My Baby Loves Me!!

my best friend is here!
Old 02-24-2008, 11:33 AM

Hey everyone,my husband is currently at Century but is about to be moved to Jefferson as he has to take a program there. I am in Virginia beach so as you can imagine, getting the greyhound down there is a nightmare but he is worth it. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are hotels close by and is is easy to get to by a taxi or would it cost a fortune? Any infor you can give me would be greatly appriciated. Thankyou so much in advance
Old 03-01-2008, 03:47 PM

Jefferson is not very far from Tallahassee. I don't know if there is a hotel at the same exit (S-19),but there would be not far.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Always & Forever We Are

My hunny there.. if anyone carpools from Tampa bay area please PM me.. thanks
Old 03-20-2008, 10:44 PM

I would not recommend the hotel that is right off the exit in Monticello (same exit as prison) I believe its 225. I have stayed in that before and its kind of creepy. I started staying at the Red Roof Inn exit 199 and it's only $44 plus tax. It's roughly 30 min from the prison but its clean and close to the mall and places to eat. You could walk to the Cracker Barrell from the hotel. Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:24 AM

is red roof the best hotel near Jefferson? cause i really have no clue..and don;t want to be in creepy hotels...(LOL) i'm flying to tallahasse and i am getting a rental car..
I also hope that there is someone who wants to go to prison with me... i am a bit scared cause i don;t know all the procedures...
Old 11-16-2008, 10:06 PM

Red Roof Inn is one of the cheapest I found and it was clean and I felt safe. It had recently just been updated...No, its not the only one... there are several just depends on how much $$$ you want to spend. I would NOT and I repeat would NOT stay at the hotel in Monticello...they staff was nice but I hardly slept because it was just creepy not to mention you did not have alot to choose from as far as food. If you stay in Tallhassee you have lots to choose from and lots to do after visits. I have actually stayed at a couple of hotels in Tallhassee on the same exit....all where nice but the price went from one extreme to another. I stayed at the red roof inn several times. I would also ask for a business suite...not sure why they call it a suite but it has a king bed with a desk area and a small frige. Just look them up on line.

I can relate to the being scared part. On my first visit I was sick the whole way there it was horrible! Once I got there and got settled it was okay. The not knowing what to except freaked me out. Once you see your loved one you kind of settle down some and they help to put you at ease..at least mine did. He knew how nervous I was about the whole thing. Heck it took me forever to get up the nerve to go and see him in jail let alone prison. Just be polite to the staff and keep your hands to yourself and you should be good. I will say don't be surprised as to what you may see. I got an eye full more than once and you just have to look the other way and keep your opinions to yourself.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by 14WBT; 11-16-2008 at 10:10 PM..
Old 12-07-2008, 05:40 AM

this off course this helps... january is geting closer and me is getting more nervous haha...
i just hope someone here can tell me the procedures of checking in for the first time and stuf like that..
and what to do and wat not to do..

are hoodies allowed in jefferson btw? cause i still don;t know what i should going to wear... haha
Old 12-07-2008, 05:46 PM

Yes, you're going to need a jacket in January in Monticello. And once you park (make sure you honor the signs and only park where you belong), you take your driver's license to the check in place. (There may be a line and you may have to wait.) They'll take your picture, walk you through the check in, collect your money for photos if you're taking any, and then search you in a private room (after the detector). Then you'll wait in a room for the person you are visiting to arrive.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:16 PM

a question about the search in private room... what do you mean about that?

and is a supportbra ok!!?? cause i guess it let;s the metal detector beep!!! ??? can anyone please answer this? or else i have to buy a bra without support... (that wouldn;t be to good for me )

Last edited by Bettyrose143; 12-12-2008 at 01:33 PM..
Old 12-30-2008, 11:10 AM

a question about the weekend of january 17th.
i want to visit then but is it a 3 day visit? cause i heard in some prisons it is either saturday OR sunday.. i am going to the jefferson so is it saturday, sunday and monday!?
i hope someone can answer me cause i really need to know and be certain!
thank you
Old 12-31-2008, 11:01 AM

I would call Jefferson CI and ask them. They would be able to tell you for sure if it's only Saturday OR Sunday...or if you can visit both days.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:29 PM

i called to his classification officer but she speaks with a real big accent and to be honest... i have know idea what she says... read and write english is good for me but speak and listen is very hard... :S
Old 12-31-2008, 04:06 PM

My friend is also at jefferson; PM me if you want me to call for you and get the answers then tell you what they said sense you have difficulty understanding/speaking english. I'd be more than glad to help!

Old 02-04-2009, 03:47 PM
He's Home in APRIL!!
Donation Award 

Default Jefferson ci questions

Hello everyone. We are yet again starting out at another new prison. So I was wondering what anyone could tell me about Jefferson. I have a few questions:

1. How early can ya get there for visits. I'm one of the early ons at every place we've been. So was wondering how early can I get there.

2. How many people are there when they start processing visitors?

3. Is there specific Parking places for visitors?

4. Can you sit side by side or do ya have to sit across from each other? Can ya sit any where?

5. Is there an outside area? Games, cards ect?

6. How do you buy photo tickets? Through Canteen?

7. How are the officers at visitation?

8. How are the officers in general with the inmates?

9. Are there hotels there in Monticello?

10. Are there any main complaints anyone's loved one has had about being at Jefferson?

Ok yes thats alot I know. But we've been to 7 prisons since 2003 went he went in and I just like to know what it's gonna be like before I visit and what it might be like for him. Anyway thanks in advance.

Thank you,
Spikeswife

Old 02-05-2009, 03:56 PM

1. How early can ya get there for visits. I'm one of the early ons at every place we've been. So was wondering how early can I get there.
you can check in from 8.15 if you come then you will be early enough. there is a big change that you will be the first one.. so don;t worry about lines and stuff cause they won;t be there. if you come after 9 it can be waiting some longer to check in. but if you are there 8.15 you are alright.

2. How many people are there when they start processing visitors?
when they start processing there are around 3 or 6 people including kids.

3. Is there specific Parking places for visitors?
if you turn in you can go to the right and left which are both parking lots. visitors have to park on the left one. so just turn left.

4. Can you sit side by side or do ya have to sit across from each other? Can ya sit any where?
you can sit where you want and you can sit side by side or across each other.. whatever you prefer.
5. Is there an outside area? Games, cards ect?
yes there is an outside area you can go there after around 11 and afternoon they open the door to but you have to get back in at 2. but not really a regular time they just open the door and say when you have to get in again.. there are also benches outside and a part is also with a roof.
there are card games, scrabble and whatever. just get the game you want when you get in the visit room. or get is later if there is still something left.

6. How do you buy photo tickets? Through Canteen?
you by photo tickets in the canteen. they cost 2 dollar each and you can buy them untill 1 pm. they make them until 2 pm outside.

7. How are the officers at visitation?
some are ok and others are bad.. just mind your business and don;t notice them.
but it is not all bad. just relax and they do too.

8. How are the officers in general with the inmates?
some want to show that they are boss. but some are also cool and make conversation and stuff. so depends on the guard. but it is not bad really.

9. Are there hotels there in Monticello?
there is one hotel in monticello, but it seems a bit creepy.. when you drive from monticello to tallahasse there are hotels on your left and off course in tallahassee there are lots of them and cheaper.. from tallahassee to the prison is around 35 minutes.

10. Are there any main complaints anyone's loved one has had about being at Jefferson?

i can;t tell you that.. i have no idea.

hope these answers your questions.. if you want to know anymore just pm me!! i will answer everything.. i just had my first visit recently and also wanted to know a lot!!
so don;t mind asking!!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:48 AM
He's Home in APRIL!!
Donation Award 

Thanks very much. I just don't like going to a new place and not know the process before hand. So thanks very much.

JWSPMS