Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:41 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,903 Times in 12,650 Posts

I found the SHU commissary list for USP Atlanta, which looks similar to the one I had as a holdover there. Spending limit $25.00/month. Stamps & medicines don't count towards the spending limit, and there are a few snacks/coffee/etc. available.

Page 3: https://www.bop.gov/locations/instit...L_CommList.pdf

This will be similar to the conditions in the Danbury SHU.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 03-23-2019 at 08:44 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
I found the SHU commissary list for USP Atlanta, which looks similar to the one I had as a holdover there. Spending limit $25.00/month. Stamps & medicines don't count towards the spending limit, and there are a few snacks/coffee/etc. available.

Page 3: https://www.bop.gov/locations/instit...L_CommList.pdf

This will be similar to the conditions in the Danbury SHU.
That is good to know, thank you very much for the info, it is much.
The commissary list for Danbury is from 4/2014 and has a list marked F.C.I and one marked F.P.C. I know what FCI stands for, no idea on FPC.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:14 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

FPC is the minimum security camp on the compound. Danbury doesn't show their restricted or SHU commissary list.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:44 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,243 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
FPC is the minimum security camp on the compound. Danbury doesn't show their restricted or SHU commissary list.

Basically, the restricted items are OTC drugs, necessary hygine items and writing supplies.

Also, the camp at Danbury is for females.
fbopnomore (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 04:32 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I figured that the SHU commissary lists are fairly consistent at any bop owned prison, but some publish them on the web page, but some others don't.

My favorite while in the SHU at USP Atlanta was that they sold generic benedryl (diphenhydramine) at the restricted commissary, which allowed me to sleep longer. There were no available books to read, so staring at the walls was our only entertainment. Even so it took 10 days to receive my order.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:16 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,243 Times in 1,918 Posts

The thought of being bookless creates agnst.

I just remembered. I think in some places hold over commissary is different from punishment commissary, but as has been mentioned many times rarely is anything 100% in the BoP.

Last edited by safran; 03-23-2019 at 06:23 PM..
Old 03-23-2019, 06:39 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Atlanta was probably my worst 28 days of the entire nightmare. Two different "counselors" told me to move on to someone else, "get out my office", so it must have been because of what I was wearing, LOL.

The excuse for no book cart, which are always comprised of donated books, was it's too expensive.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I figured that the SHU commissary lists are fairly consistent at any bop owned prison, but some publish them on the web page, but some others don't.

My favorite while in the SHU at USP Atlanta was that they sold generic benedryl (diphenhydramine) at the restricted commissary, which allowed me to sleep longer. There were no available books to read, so staring at the walls was our only entertainment. Even so it took 10 days to receive my order.
My son is lucky, he at least has stuff to read.
The Following User Says Thank You to mysonsmother For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Atlanta was probably my worst 28 days of the entire nightmare. Two different "counselors" told me to move on to someone else, "get out my office", so it must have been because of what I was wearing, LOL.

The excuse for no book cart, which are always comprised of donated books, was it's too expensive.
I am so sorry that you went through that.

I can identify with the crap with the donated books being "too expensive". Dandury took away the movie DVD's and went to a movie channel that pretty much shows all old movies, then they removed all the microwave ovens saying that the hot water spigots were enough for the guys to "cook" food purchased at the commissary. The reason they gave was that repairing/replacing them was too expensive even though they were purchased and maintained with money collected from commissary purchases (the surcharge's). Then they cut the library down to half it's size and combined it with the law library, stating that it was too expensive to maintain.
fbopnomore (03-24-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 04:26 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The only other bop prison I knew about that didn't have microwaves (popcorn was contraband) was Loretto, PA. They started out with 180 degree hot water taps, but took them out because they broke so often. The only "cooking" that was done was with bootleg "coils" that were manufactured in the UNICOR plant that was supposed to be making wiring harnesses for military airplanes, believe it or not.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
The only other bop prison I knew about that didn't have microwaves (popcorn was contraband) was Loretto, PA. They started out with 180 degree hot water taps, but took them out because they broke so often. The only "cooking" that was done was with bootleg "coils" that were manufactured in the UNICOR plant that was supposed to be making wiring harnesses for military airplanes, believe it or not.
I believe it about UNICOR. The only thing Danbury has for "cooking" is the 180 degree hot water taps.
fbopnomore (03-25-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 02:38 PM

Spoke to my son last night, off of punishment, but still in the SHU, he will be there until the transfer request is decided, so hopefully he will be back in gen pop within a week.
I was able to find out that this whole thing started because the new warden was taking away the lockers and storage bins. I also heard that anyone who mentioned the "food strike" on the phone, whether they took part or not, was going to be punished.
fbopnomore (04-04-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 05:00 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Loretto has had a line of awful wardens. One when I was there, nicknamed smiley because he never did anything but scowl, ordered all of the tables and chairs in the inmate common areas to be taken out and put in the dumpster after one minor fight where a table was overturned. The SHU was always full.

Even worse were the all white staff members who had been there since the bop bought the place from a Catholic monastery, but hopefully most of the good old boys have finally retired by now. By far the worst place I encountered, and it sounds like nothing has changed.

One more: when Loretto went through it's pseudo evaluation/accreditation, they found that a fire marshal's notice "this gate is never to be locked whenever people are present" (no escape in case of fire) was being ignored and everyone in the housing unit was locked in except during the hourly 10 minute moves. Loretto's response: the sign disappeared and the gate continued to be locked.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Loretto has had a line of awful wardens. One when I was there, nicknamed smiley because he never did anything but scowl, ordered all of the tables and chairs in the inmate common areas to be taken out and put in the dumpster after one minor fight where a table was overturned. The SHU was always full.

Even worse were the all white staff members who had been there since the bop bought the place from a Catholic monastery, but hopefully most of the good old boys have finally retired by now. By far the worst place I encountered, and it sounds like nothing has changed.

One more: when Loretto went through it's pseudo evaluation/accreditation, they found that a fire marshal's notice "this gate is never to be locked whenever people are present" (no escape in case of fire) was being ignored and everyone in the housing unit was locked in except during the hourly 10 minute moves. Loretto's response: the sign disappeared and the gate continued to be locked.
I got a bit more info; the new warden ordered all inmates to keep their belongings neat and organized or the stuff will be removed and thrown out, then she decided to remove the very bins and lockers the guys need to keep their stuff neat and organized, and this next thing I cannot for the life of me understand why (but I've never been in prison), but she now had all inmates wearing a numbered sticker on their clothing every day.
fbopnomore (04-05-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 10:33 AM

Angry The SHU

Just an update. My son heard that there is a paperwork backlog at the headquarters in Texas. Anyway, last I actually spoke to him was 4/3, and BOP website has him listed at at Danbury. So, looks like he has not yet been transferred, and is still in the SHU.
Maybe I should call Texas???????
fbopnomore (04-23-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Which unit? I was in C1 for my entire stay. I can attest to everything else you've said here. Terrible wardens, Pennsyltucky rednecks for 90% of the CO staff, so much of it members of the same sets of families. One of the decent COs retired at the end of 2016. Sorry to see him go. He treated us like fellow human beings. The accreditation days were always a dog-and-pony show for Region. Complete non-sense during the 4-6 week lead-up with COs being a-holes afraid for their jobs and making the prisoners tidy-up the place...basically putting lipstick on a pig. Complete show. They did love keeping the SHU full, and that is located in the hallway leading from C1 to the South Units. Always a busy house, but I managed to avoid it.
The Following User Says Thank You to cal1927 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-27-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 01:43 PM

Angry The SHU

My son (along with others) has now been in the SHU for over 60 days. From what one of the wives was told, the transfer request was denied. He also heard that if the transfers were denied, they are stuck in the SHU until June anyway.
My son has been off disciplinary segregation for over a month now. Some of the staff suggested having family call Grand Prairie, Regional, and Central, and file complaints. All I get at Grand Prairie is an automated system that hangs up on me, I called Central who told me to call Regional. I called Regional and had to leave a voice mail message.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:11 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The circumstances behind his punishment are definitely unusual, but the prison warden can find justification for almost anything they do. I'm sorry for what your Son is experiencing, and continue trying to help him, but unfortunately he won't be released from the SHU until the warden releases him.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
The circumstances behind his punishment are definitely unusual, but the prison warden can find justification for almost anything they do. I'm sorry for what your Son is experiencing, and continue trying to help him, but unfortunately he won't be released from the SHU until the warden releases him.
I agree with you, but I will keep making noise, even though I know it is falling on dear ears.
fbopnomore (05-17-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 05:28 PM

Angry

UPDATE: My son and others are still in the SHU. The wardens request to transfer them has been denied twice.
I also found out that when this whole thing first started, all inmates were warned that they were not to discuss any of what had transpired with anyone, other inmates, on the phone, in letters. Anyone caught discussing it would be punished.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could find an inmates rights lawyer in CT willing to maybe do pro-bono work or file a law suit on behalf of the inmates? I know, it's a long shot, but it's been at least 3 months.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:22 PM

I got a letter from my son today. Apparently from what they are being told they are in the SHU until she can get them transferred out, so as long as they are at Danbury, they will remain in the SHU.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:47 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

That's not unusual. The good thing is it sounds like he will be transferred out of Danbury, hopefully soon.