Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:28 PM

Question He was sick and sleeping but in SHU accused of being on hunger strike

My son is still at Danbury, his transfer request was denied. But since then there was a hunger strike, basically they decided no to go to the cafeteria for meals. My son wasn't feeling well, he slept for 2 days for the idiots in power decided that he was part the hunger strike. He has been in the "shu" for a month, no letters, no phone calls, nothing.
I was going to start a new post regarding Danbury, but can't figure out how.
The Following User Says Thank You to mysonsmother For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-19-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2019, 06:27 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,644 Times in 13,030 Posts

At the top of every forum page is a "new thread" box, I moved your question to the "other federal prisons" forum, and started a new thread for you. "Danbury question"
Old 03-20-2019, 04:04 AM

Unfortunately, there is no sleeping in for2 days while incarcerated. Usually, meal attendence is mandatory. Unless he has been to some form of sick call, then it appears he is part of an organized protest.
At this point the investigation must play out. Hopefully there are records of his going for medical services. Hopefully he will be exonerated quickly and you can speak again.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysonsmother View Post
My son is still at Danbury, his transfer request was denied. But since then there was a hunger strike, basically they decided no to go to the cafeteria for meals. My son wasn't feeling well, he slept for 2 days for the idiots in power decided that he was part the hunger strike. He has been in the "shu" for a month, no letters, no phone calls, nothing.
I was going to start a new post regarding Danbury, but can't figure out how.
My fiance was in SHU for two day's waiting for a bed. I was on the phone with him one minute then he had to go because he was moving. I didn't like it when he was in SHU i didn't know what was going on.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
At the top of every forum page is a "new thread" box, I moved your question to the "other federal prisons" forum, and started a new thread for you. "Danbury question"
I don't see anything that says "new thread". I see the big tabs across the top, and smaller tabs below, there are "new posts" which takes you to new posts.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
Unfortunately, there is no sleeping in for2 days while incarcerated. Usually, meal attendence is mandatory. Unless he has been to some form of sick call, then it appears he is part of an organized protest.
At this point the investigation must play out. Hopefully there are records of his going for medical services. Hopefully he will be exonerated quickly and you can speak again.
From what he said the only time I have talked to him is that he can verify he was ill at the time. My son has known medical issues and gastro issues. He has Marfan's syndrome, emphysema, a slightly enlarged (and slowly growing) aorta, and deteriorating muscles.
He has been in the SHU before, but never for this long.

This whole thing started after he put in a request for transfer, which was immediately denied. Could be coincidence, but he's never really been in trouble until now.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda70 View Post
My fiance was in SHU for two day's waiting for a bed. I was on the phone with him one minute then he had to go because he was moving. I didn't like it when he was in SHU i didn't know what was going on.
I understand how you feel. Apparently my son has been there for a month now, but I really have no way to know for sure, I haven't heard from him in 3 weeks.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:43 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

There is a black "new thread" box on the left upper portion of every main forum index page. Here's the link to this one, "other federal prisons".
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=974

Sometimes requesting a "welfare check" will elicit more information, but the bop uses the HIPAA law when it suits them, and ignores it when it doesn't.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 03-20-2019 at 11:46 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
mysonsmother (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 02:02 PM

Default fbopnomore

I clicked on the link you supplied, and there it was. But if I click on "new posts" its not there.
They have a form that you need to fill out and email, so far 3 sent, no response.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:04 PM

I finally got a response (if you want to call it that). He is still at Danbury, I can visit him on Tuesdays. That's all he would tell me.
But...they have no posted visiting hours on Tuesdays.

Last edited by mysonsmother; 03-20-2019 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: add info
fbopnomore (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 05:13 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Visits for hospital patients and SHU inmates are different than regular visitation. It starts on page 8 of the Danbury visiting regulations.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/instit...ting060418.pdf

If you can get someone to answer the phone, try to get confirmation that you can visit, and on what days. If it is only on Mondays, he is in the SHU, but nothing in the visitation rules specifies Tuesday visits. If hospital visits are limited to Tuesdays, a possibility, they don't say so.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Visits for hospital patients and SHU inmates are different than regular visitation. It starts on page 8 of the Danbury visiting regulations.
(had to delete the URL)

If you can get someone to answer the phone, try to get confirmation that you can visit, and on what days. If it is only on Mondays, he is in the SHU, but nothing in the visitation rules specifies Tuesday visits. If hospital visits are limited to Tuesdays, a possibility, they don't say so.
I am going to make some phone calls today. Hopefully I will reach someone who will be a little more help than the last guy I talked to. They're regs say Monday for SHU inmates, but the guard I talked to said Tuesday. If he is in the hospital, they are supposed to notify me. I am listed as his emergency contact/person to notify.
Doesn't really matter what day I can visit, I can't get there anyway. I am a 6+ hour drive and I have to rent a car to make the trip. Hubby and I are both disabled, very low income, I have to save up the money to make the trip. To add crap on top of crap, I am facing hip replacement surgery. I am beginning to feel like the light at the end of the tunnel is a train.
fbopnomore (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysonsmother View Post
I understand how you feel. Apparently my son has been there for a month now, but I really have no way to know for sure, I haven't heard from him in 3 weeks.
I would try and call the prison and find out. I had to call the prison and get his inmate number the day after he got there. And after that we filled out back ground check paper work to visit and he was suppose to get a paper saying we were aproved to come visit but he hadn't so i called and to this day he still hasn't got one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Panda70 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 12:24 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Don't ever expect the bop to notify you of anything. Virtually any/all information has to come from the inmate.

I've never been to Danbury, but since it isn't a federal medical center, their "hospital" is probably the medical building (sick call, etc.). Any prisoner who is sent outside of the prison to a real hospital, the bop not only won't tell you, but they will also forbid the hospital to comply with the HIPAA laws. The hospital can't even tell you if he is a patient there. Inmates are forbidden to have visitors in outside hospitals, so if there is visitation, it has to be inside the prison.

I hope you are able to find out what is actually happening there.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:39 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,958 Posts

“Don't ever expect the bop to notify you of anything.”

I can’t stress enough how true this is. The BoP is not mandated to notify you about anything other than death and even that can take days. They are NOT going to notify you if he’s in a hospital.

Also, the BoP sees a HIPPA release as them being able to talk to you if they opt to, but they do not see it as a REQUIREMENT that they talk to you. A HIPPA release in the BoP basically carries no weight unless you’re lucky enough to connect with a compassionate BoP staff member.
fbopnomore (03-21-2019), Itshardtowait (03-22-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
“Don't ever expect the bop to notify you of anything.”

I can’t stress enough how true this is. The BoP is not mandated to notify you about anything other than death and even that can take days. They are NOT going to notify you if he’s in a hospital.

Also, the BoP sees a HIPPA release as them being able to talk to you if they opt to, but they do not see it as a REQUIREMENT that they talk to you. A HIPPA release in the BoP basically carries no weight unless you’re lucky enough to connect with a compassionate BoP staff member.
I didn't know there was any such animal as a compassionate BOP staff member. Especially when it comes to people like my son.
sidewalker (03-24-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 01:31 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

There are definitely some kind, helpful bop staff members, but finding them is usually the problem.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:15 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,958 Posts

Quote:
There are definitely some kind, helpful bop staff members, but finding them is usually the problem.

This is very true and knowing first hand how some inmates treat staff I can understand - sort of - why this is the case. I saw more inmates being rude to staff than staff being rude to inmates.
fbopnomore (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda70 View Post
I would try and call the prison and find out. I had to call the prison and get his inmate number the day after he got there. And after that we filled out back ground check paper work to visit and he was suppose to get a paper saying we were aproved to come visit but he hadn't so i called and to this day he still hasn't got one.
Can you call the facility and ask about it? I would at least give it a shot.
When my son arrived at Danbury family members were automatically approved for visitation.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
The one I talked to today was nicer than the one I talked to yesterday. At least this one gave me a little more info.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mysonsmother For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-22-2019), sidewalker (03-24-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
This is very true and knowing first hand how some inmates treat staff I can understand - sort of - why this is the case. I saw more inmates being rude to staff than staff being rude to inmates.
Yea, a friend of mine used to work in a local county jail. He hated it because of the way some of the inmates would treat the guards, spit on them, throw food and worse at them, and there was nothing the guards could do about it.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:05 AM

Smile

Had to share the good news, 2 letters from my son are arriving in my mailbox today
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mysonsmother For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-22-2019), Itshardtowait (03-22-2019), safran (03-22-2019), sidewalker (03-24-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 06:45 PM

Default He was sick and sleeping but in SHU accused of being on hunger strike

Finally got letters (3 to be exact) from my son. He had to wait until he could get some envelopes. He should be out of the SHU by the 2nd or 3rd of April.
He didn't give me much info, except that he got to see the DHO, and was given 20 days "disciplinary segregation", he lost email privileges for 180 days (he had a choice of loss of email or phone privileges), they fined him $100, even though they know he has no job and is completely dependent on me. The only part that really worries me is that he has also lost commissary privileges for 180 days, so not sure if he can still at least buy his hygiene needs, pretty sure he won't be able to get extra's coffee, food, stuff like that. I can't send him any kind of care package, so I can't even send him what he needs. He says he's going to appeal, feels he got screwed, but doesn't explain further.
He also said something about apparently there has been a request made to transfer all 212 inmates that were involved. One counselor told him it would most likely be denied because they don't like transferring from one low to another low. If it is approved, he would probably get transferred before the end of this month. He will talk to his counselor as soon as he can.
I will post here as I get any more news.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mysonsmother For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-22-2019), Itshardtowait (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 11:11 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Inmates that are serving a period on commissary restriction due to a disciplinary infraction;

Inmates that have refused to participate in the Inmate Financial Responsibility Program; and

Inmates that are housed outside general population (for example, the Special Housing Unit).

Inmates that fall into these categories are limited to purchasing from a very restricted list, spending a maximum of $25.00 per month.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Inmates that are serving a period on commissary restriction due to a disciplinary infraction;

Inmates that have refused to participate in the Inmate Financial Responsibility Program; and

Inmates that are housed outside general population (for example, the Special Housing Unit).

Inmates that fall into these categories are limited to purchasing from a very restricted list, spending a maximum of $25.00 per month.
I figure as long as he is able to buy his personal needs stuff, he will just have to deal with the lack of coffee and snacks. That's what happens when you get yourself into trouble.