Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > North Kern State Prison (NKSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

North Kern State Prison (NKSP) - California Topic and discussion specific to North Kern State Prison (NKSP) located in Delano, California.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:57 PM

Default Son stuck in North Kern reception. No mail in 3 weeks: Daughter devastated

Everything I search here has a very old date! My son is stuck in reception. We have not received mail in three weeks. His daughter is only 10 and runs to the mailbox every day. The disappointment is killing me to watch and is definitely affecting her. All of my searches on this site come up with old posts. Is anyone experiencing the same thing? Please help.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2018, 10:12 PM

Thanked 1,542 Times in 637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnaar View Post
Everything I search here has a very old date! My son is stuck in reception. We have not received mail in three weeks. His daughter is only 10 and runs to the mailbox every day. The disappointment is killing me to watch and is definitely affecting her. All of my searches on this site come up with old posts. Is anyone experiencing the same thing? Please help.

Sorry for your struggles. Especially your daughter - that's tough.

Reception is difficult. His ability to write is limited. Be sure you mail him paper, envelopes, stamps. They will give him zero of that. He can want to write, but they won't be making it easy for him.

When he gets out of reception (endorsed to his main prison) it will be easier for him to write, he can phone. The bad news, it can easily take over 6 months.

Wish I had better info, but this initial period is tough and what you are experiencing is unfortunately very common. Good luck to you and your daughter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
miamac (05-26-2018), Sarianna (05-26-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 11:12 PM

Thank you. It is my granddaughter who I have guardianship of. She is extremely close to her dad and this is a horrible situation for all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donnaar For This Useful Post:
miamac (05-26-2018), Sarianna (05-26-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 09:41 AM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,797 Times in 8,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnaar View Post
Thank you. It is my granddaughter who I have guardianship of. She is extremely close to her dad and this is a horrible situation for all.
Encourage her to keep writing. Remind her that mail can take a very long time to go through the prison and arrive at your door, longer than mailing to a friend's house. 10 is a tough age. I second gvalliant's suggestion to send him stationary supplies. The amounts you can send are significantly higher, but a manila envelope with 20 sheets of paper, 10 plain white business envelopes and a book of stamps will get through to him in a timely manner. Be sure to list the contents on the outside (back) of the manila envelope so he knows he got everything.

Hope she hears from him soon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (05-26-2018), sidewalker (06-03-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 04:35 PM

Thank you! Great tip to list envelope contents on the back! He has money on his books and stamps so now it has actually been 5 weeks with no letters. I actually drove all the way to the prison today with my granddaughter and after going through the wait they wouldn’t let us in because my granddaughters birth certificate was a copy��. She was heartbroken! She the. Asked if she could wait in child care so I could go make sure he was alright and they wouldn’t accept her cecause she was on crutches ������. So much for helping families stay in touch! Also, his release date moved up a a few months? I thought they couldn’t earn credits while in reception?