Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:13 AM

Default Who are the approved vendors for books sent to Federal inmate?

Hi everyone!

Where is a good place to get books sent from? I heard Amazon and only hardback types?

My PP is in fci Schuylkill btw :-)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2017, 11:37 AM
attorney

Thanked 21,939 Times in 7,639 Posts

Amazon works. Check with the facility. Most require paperback books. I have yet to see a facility require hardcover. And I say this as somebody who donates regularly to libraries, including the one for the county jail in the county where I live, and practice the most. Actually, both a judge, a former judge, and I donate to the county jail softcover trade paperback novels we've read. I tend to do the science fiction and some of the popular stuff, and we try to coordinate so that there aren't a ton of copies of the same thing.

I ran into trouble when a source wanted to make sure the AA Big Book was available in Spanish for meetings and inmate use. The donated books were all hard cover. Hardcover is against jail policy (can be used as a more effective weapon than the same book in paper). They took the covers off and we glued carstock on for a cover as the jail and sheriff at the time thought the advantages of having the book available in multiple copies far outweighed the problems caused by the cover once the cover was gone. Next sheriff decided a defaced book was not a good thing and threw them out.

Oh, and the fly paper glued to the inside cover can be removed and a small place cut into the hardcover dug out and contraband stashed there.

So, yeah, check with the institution for directions for sending books and see if you can get the institution's banned book list and requirements as well. Some cover art will get a book banned. Sometimes it's just content.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:58 PM

Amazon does sell paperback. The prison did accept, but they do not include a receipt when they send it. Apparently my LO's facility needed a receipt that had his name on it in order for him to receive it. Ruined my suprise and took longer for him to receive it.