Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > PRISON PEN PALS > Prison Inmate Pen-Pal Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Inmate Pen-Pal Talk General talk about prison pen-pals. Please do not place ads in this forum!

Old 03-06-2017, 09:42 AM

Unhappy Why does one of my pen pals take so long to reply?

I began writing my first and favorite pen pal in July of 2016. He's always taken a while, sometimes up to a month to reply to my letters. Currently I've been waiting over a month for a letter. He's in TX too, ad seg and is a confirmed gang member. I try not to let his unbelievably slow replies bother me, but they do. I write back rather quickly, so I don't really understand. He seems to enjoy our conversations.... Well I started writing another pen pal. He's also in TX, but in another unit that's closer to me and he's in G5, not ad seg. He's not a gang member. He responds within days! He's so fast! If I write him via Jpay, he responds within the week! This is appreciated, but it makes me wonder even more why my other pen pal is so slow! I was wondering if anyone may have some ideas. Does he just not care about writing that much? Could there be other factors? Thank you for reading.
The Following User Says Thank You to no1inparticular For This Useful Post:
maytayah (03-06-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2017, 10:24 AM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 11,263 Times in 4,679 Posts

Hi,there are a number of reasons why his replies may be slow. He may have a lot of penpals, he may not have access to many stamps and have to wait to buy them and for them to be delivered, he may not be a great writer and he may not feel like writing often.
Also remember that jpays are not always delivered to inmates quickly and it can vary at different units.
Maybe tell him you would like to write more often and see what his response is ,you may get your answer then.
Good luck and enjoy your writing.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (03-06-2017), no1inparticular (03-06-2017), Sarianna (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 12:38 PM

Thanked 1,463 Times in 799 Posts

I'm so old that I remember when people in the free world sent physical letters to each other. Back then there were lots of people who were slow at best about replying. It could be just one of those things.

I hear very little from my pen pal but she's a single mom with no money on her books. I wouldn't even want her to spend a stamp writing to me unless she's caught up with her children.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Minor activist For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (03-06-2017), maytayah (03-08-2017), no1inparticular (03-06-2017), Sarianna (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 12:51 PM

I have found that the rate of response really varies from pen pal to pen pal. In the past, I have had pen pals (in Texas). who were happy to just exchange a letter about once per month or maybe once every 3 weeks at most. But these were generally longer, in-depth letters and it was clear they took the time to really think about it.

At the moment, I have a pen pal in Kentucky and he likes to wrote very regularly, but generally shorter Jpay messages. We started writing around 7 weeks ago, and we exchange about one Jpay message per day, plus the occasional traditional letter via mail. If I write to him using Jpay in the morning, I will almost always get a response from him that same day. And sometimes he will send two responses to me, because he only has 15 minutes to type his Jpay messages and can't finish his thoughts in a single message.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rupert81 For This Useful Post:
no1inparticular (03-06-2017), Sarianna (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 01:22 PM

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,743 Posts

I agree with maytayah, it could be any number of reasons. I have very very dear friends that take their sweet time writing back and others who write back so quickly I'm amazed the mail could get it there and back in time. My husband is the slowest person ever to respond to everyone but me. You also have to consider there's not a whole lot going on in ad seg, there's just not to talk about. My husband in in CDU right now...and while he gets a letter out every day...there's just absolutely nothing going on. Shower every couple days, rec every couple days, tv and reading....
maytayah (03-08-2017), no1inparticular (03-06-2017), Sarianna (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 05:50 PM

Default Thanks

I really appreciate everyone's ideas. It makes me feel a bit better.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:17 PM
Donation Award 

I would write him and ask him, he can give you a better answer then any of us . & I am sure he wouldn't take offense being as though , Your such a awesome friend and penpal for being so consistent and considerate, when replying so fast to your pals, me on the other hand, I would start a letter and get sidetracked for 8 weeks 6 days and 9 hours and thats only the first paragraph ���� Best wishes and I hope he puts a lil pep to his step when writing you in the future, which I am sure he will
Old 03-06-2017, 09:24 PM
Southern Fried Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 3,878 Times in 1,331 Posts

Maybe he just procrastinates. I can put off answering a text for a week. Who knows how long I could take to answer a penpal's letter!

He could also have limited writing supplies.

And you always have to keep in mind that the closer TDCJ is watching an inmate, the slower mail can move. Since they started watching my LO it can take him 2 weeks for him to receive anything from me (other than JPays), and it's taken weeks for me to get mail from him as well.