Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:50 PM

Unhappy Photos got rejected?

So I sent some photos, and to me they are fine. But apparently they haven't allowed him to have them. I've sent photos before with no trouble. I've even copied photos for my friend and sent them back to him, no trouble.

The photos were of me (they were just normal photos, not sexy), I sent some photos of my dog, some photos of tattoos I was thinking of getting and some photos of my newly decorated room. Oh, and some photos of a nice place I visited.. I sent no more than 20 photos.

I'm a little confused, the only thing I can think is the tattoo photos got rejected The rules confuse me sometimes!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2015, 01:07 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 21,901 Times in 12,648 Posts

It's probably because of the tattoos, but I wonder why the other photos were refused too.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:24 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad on leave

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,562 Times in 7,649 Posts

The tattoo images are are hit and miss in most places, but the rest seem harmless. It may also be the format they arrived in or the quantity you sent.

In some facilities there is a cap on the number you send in. Additionally, some restrict the type of paper they can be printed on-- for example, they must be on photo paper ("professionally printed") and not printed out on standard stock.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
mmath123 (08-01-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
It's probably because of the tattoos, but I wonder why the other photos were refused too.
Yeah that's what I was thinking but it's strange the others were refused, I've never had a problem before.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
The tattoo images are are hit and miss in most places, but the rest seem harmless. It may also be the format they arrived in or the quantity you sent.

In some facilities there is a cap on the number you send in. Additionally, some restrict the type of paper they can be printed on-- for example, they must be on photo paper ("professionally printed") and not printed out on standard stock.
Yeah, they were harmless oh well! Maybe they will give me a reason. The photos were printed on normal paper, not photo paper

I think it depends on whos working the mail room too, some are more strict than others I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to mmath123 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-01-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 09:51 PM

I guess it depends on the facility but in my experience, if they reject one, all the rest get sent back as well. Now if I think one photo might be pushing it, I'll send that one by itself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btwcm For This Useful Post:
mmath123 (08-02-2015), Nomes (09-30-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 11:49 AM

Photos are are hit and miss with me, no rhyme or reason as to what gets through and what is rejected. I have several penpals that I write to and I have given up sending pictures to a few of them because they are unlikely to get through, and then the entire letter is lost.

It is clear to me that they will reject mail simply because they can. Like miamac said, one of the prisons I write to (Kentucky) requires that the photos be on "photo paper". I have tried to include a picture embedded in with the text, and that was rejected. Not having the inmates name and number on the back (has to be the back, can't be in the margins on the front) is required. No "collages". They rejected the picture of the main "bonfire" from the Burning Man festival.

I have a penpal in a California jail, and the home made birthday card I made for her never made it. It was a half sheet of photo paper, folded in half, picture on the front, computer printed HAPPY BIRTHDAY inside, hand written note. Her Name and PFN number were on the reverse side of the picture (which was a "fairy") so I have no idea why they rejected it.

An inmate at a California prison hasn't had any problems at all. The only restriction I am aware of is no more than 10 photos per envelope.

R. Mc.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmc50 For This Useful Post:
mmath123 (08-03-2015)
Old 08-03-2015, 12:48 PM

I really think it depends on the facility and who is working the mail room at the time they are processed. I've sent my man up to 35 pics at one time. Most of the times I send pics on photo paper; but the pics of houses that I've bee looking at to buy have been on regular printer paper. The only thing that didn't go through was my son's business card. I thought it was because he was a tattoo artist; but when I printed out the same pics that are on his card on photo paper, they went right through. Who knows how they determine what can and can't get through.
The Following User Says Thank You to Diamond Dez For This Useful Post:
mmath123 (08-03-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Southern Fried Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 3,775 Times in 1,302 Posts

Does he have a limit of how many photos he can have? My LO can only have 20 where he's located.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeepingWillow View Post
Does he have a limit of how many photos he can have? My LO can only have 20 where he's located.
I've never asked to be honest, I just assumed it was 25. I've sent more than 20 photos before, and they got through ok.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:57 PM

My man can only have 10 pictures in his cell at one time. Ugh, its so annoying!
The Following User Says Thank You to Volleyhb For This Useful Post:
WeepingWillow (08-25-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 06:09 AM

He asked me a photo and i have tattoos too, so i hope the photo won't be rejected.
I want to send him a photo of my face but i have a tattoo on my throat.
So i'm a little bit confused, now.
Maybe, i should ask the question on Ely State Prison facebook page ?
fbopnomore (08-21-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 05:54 AM

So yesterday, I sent a message on Ely State Prison Facebook page and the person said, she also has tattoos and her photos have never been rejected.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:15 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad on leave

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 21,562 Times in 7,649 Posts

A person having tattoos isn't (generally) criteria for rejecting a photo. If your tattoo, however, is gang related, of a prohibited subject matter (full frontal nudity, drug paraphernalia, ect) or on exposed genitalia, then it may be rejected.

The bigger issue with tattoos and mail is the sending in of patterns to be used inmate-to-inmate.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:25 PM
Collaterally Damaged
Donation Award 

Ugh, so here's MY mail horror story! -- My son was held in Butler Co Jail in Ohio for 6 months before getting trial and then being moved to a clearing house jail for permanent placement assessment. For the first 4 months he was there, I kept getting his mail back. Of the 50+ letters I sent, fully 1/3 came back to me. I even resent a few of them and THOSE even came back!!!!!1 And mind u, these are LOOOONG letters, 3 pg, single spaced....

Come to find out, there was nothing wrong at either local post office and nothing wrong with the way it was addressed or even the contents. It was the bit#& of a mail-room worker at the prison who was SOMEHOWWWW unable to figure out if Austin Morris was there. LIke, it's such a hard name to find. Especially with a prisoner number.
Sometimes, you get to do the "AND THAT'S THE GAME" dance when 2-3 prison admins are looking at faxed proof that one of their idiots is being lazy on the job. All from 850 miles away.

My son was involved in his infant sons death, so some of those letter were VITALLY important to his emotional and mental well-being and they were being sent the f back to me... I was FURIOUS.... and you know what? I never lost it. I did get just a tiny bit emotional when I was finally validated by these 'officials'.
I'm never sure why people say not to call prisons looking for answers about your FCLO (freedom challenged loved one).... Seems to me we're the public, and if they have info, and we need it, we ought to be able to call without worrying about the repercussions for that inmate.
The entire prison system is counterintuitive. But that's a convo for another day.

I own at omlettes - don't question it
Old 09-30-2015, 06:34 PM
Aussie Card Fairy!!
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,044 Times in 668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwcm View Post
I guess it depends on the facility but in my experience, if they reject one, all the rest get sent back as well. Now if I think one photo might be pushing it, I'll send that one by itself.
I do that too lol

Hugs
Nomes
- " - " - I give a "hoot" about inmates
Old 01-31-2016, 10:42 AM

Hi,
My pen pal asked me for some design ideas (probably for a tattoo).
I've just printed them on a sheet of paper, and I'd like to know if it is allowed at Ely State Prison?

In case, they reject the photos : Will they give my letter to my pen pal?

Thank you.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey0628 View Post
Hi,

In case, they reject the photos : Will they give my letter to my pen pal?

Thank you.
I don't have any experience with Ely, but I write to a few penpals at various different prisons and the experience has been the same.

Pictures can be rejected for reasons that I have never figured out.

My experience is that if anything in the letter is deemed objectionable the entire letter is returned, they don't just remove the offending item and pass the rest along.

I have had cases where it took three months for the refused letter to be returned, and the inmate never had notice that a letter had been refused.

So my advice is to NOT put anything important in a letter that contains pictures or anything that might possibly be refused.

R. Mc.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmc50 For This Useful Post:
Audrey0628 (02-01-2016)