Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > LOUISIANA > Louisiana General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Louisiana General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Louisiana that do not fit into any other Louisiana sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:47 AM

Lightbulb Thrown in jail with no evidence. How can I fight this?

Hey everyone this us really my first post on here I wanted to tell my story being arrested and not having evidence. On Dec 4 2014 about 6:30 am me and my sister was woke up and was told we had a warrent for our arrest. I kept asking for what? They never did tell us until we were in the car we pretty much had to beg him and he finally gave in So anyways we went to east baton rouge parish prision. We were arrested for crulty to the infirm, felony theft and something else I can't remember but my grandmother accused us of breaking in her house robbing her and then beating her up. We went to court the next day and our bond was set at 80,000 and keep in mind I dont have a record.so anyways I sat in jail 45 days over something that had no police reports, no evidence and I never had a proper investigation. Thanks to a close friend of mine brother is a detective and he investgated it and the D A dropped everything. If he didnt do that I know I would still be sitting and waiting. Its something fishy going on with all this because the detective that took my grandmothers case all of a sudden is on leave and then they were assigning us a new judge. I really feel like my rights were violated and if any of you know something I can do to fight this please let me know.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2015, 07:53 PM

Thanked 11,100 Times in 6,007 Posts

What prompted your grandmother to claim you committed a multitude of felonies with her as the victim? After all, it would have been HER report to law enforcement personnel (complete with signed statement BY her) that gave rise to the arrest warrant.

$80K bond is not at all out of line given those allegations...Courts take a dim view of persons who are alleged to have targeted an elderly person.
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Macushla (02-01-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 10:44 AM

Is it possible that your grandmother lied?
It could happen- revenge criminal complaints against you.
I think you should talk with a lawyer about filing a civil lawsuit against the detective and possibly grandmother for emotional distress and whatnot.

I hope you are staying away from your grandmother and cease all contact with her. There's something involving her that threatens your freedom and safety.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:39 AM

Do you have an attorney? Were you properly Mirandized? Did you sign ANYTHING? If so, do you know what you signed and do you understand what the document was and/or consequences associated with it? Did you give any statements to the police? Do you still have pending charges?

The very first thing you need to do is get a good criminal defense attorney. There is an EXCELLENT one is Livingston, and if you want his name, let me know. Second, if you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one for you. Make sure you sit down with the attorney or the paralegal and give them the story - but think it over carefully first and make sure you are clear. Statements like "They never did tell us..." and "we had to beg him..." are vague statements. It's common sense that "they" and "him" probably refers to the police or a specific police officer, but in our line of work, we can't make any assumptions. Please think things through carefully and write them down (because this will help you organize your thoughts). This will also help your meeting with your attorney go more smoothly and it won't take as much time. It's important to get all the details and make sure you tell him or her things that you think may even be insignificant because they could make a difference. You just never know. But I cannot emphasize to you how important it is to be well-prepared for your meeting with the attorney. Make sure that you not only have your story written down as you remember it, but that you have all paperwork pertinent to your arrest with you so he can make copies for your file, especially anything having to do with court dates or anything that has to do with filing or responding to motions or other documents filed by the state. There are only a certain number of days allowed to respond, so everything has to go on the calendar to make sure deadlines aren't missed.

Also, by writing down the details of your arrest and your interviews with the police, you are officially documenting what happened. As time goes on, the details of an incident become fuzzy and our minds begin to fill in the gaps - which leads to inconsistencies and this then makes you impeachable. You appear less credible - not because you're lying, but because the details have become fuzzy over time and your mind just filled in the gaps and you accept them as true.

I hope this helps.

Nicole

Last edited by paralegalmom; 01-06-2017 at 01:52 AM..
Old 01-06-2017, 05:15 AM

Thanked 11,100 Times in 6,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paralegalmom View Post
Do you have an attorney? Were you properly Mirandized? Did you sign ANYTHING? If so, do you know what you signed and do you understand what the document was and/or consequences associated with it? Did you give any statements to the police? Do you still have pending charges?

The very first thing you need to do is get a good criminal defense attorney. There is an EXCELLENT one is Livingston, and if you want his name, let me know. Second, if you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint one for you. Make sure you sit down with the attorney or the paralegal and give them the story - but think it over carefully first and make sure you are clear. Statements like "They never did tell us..." and "we had to beg him..." are vague statements. It's common sense that "they" and "him" probably refers to the police or a specific police officer, but in our line of work, we can't make any assumptions. Please think things through carefully and write them down (because this will help you organize your thoughts). This will also help your meeting with your attorney go more smoothly and it won't take as much time. It's important to get all the details and make sure you tell him or her things that you think may even be insignificant because they could make a difference. You just never know. But I cannot emphasize to you how important it is to be well-prepared for your meeting with the attorney. Make sure that you not only have your story written down as you remember it, but that you have all paperwork pertinent to your arrest with you so he can make copies for your file, especially anything having to do with court dates or anything that has to do with filing or responding to motions or other documents filed by the state. There are only a certain number of days allowed to respond, so everything has to go on the calendar to make sure deadlines aren't missed.

Also, by writing down the details of your arrest and your interviews with the police, you are officially documenting what happened. As time goes on, the details of an incident become fuzzy and our minds begin to fill in the gaps - which leads to inconsistencies and this then makes you impeachable. You appear less credible - not because you're lying, but because the details have become fuzzy over time and your mind just filled in the gaps and you accept them as true.

I hope this helps.
OP has been gone for almost two years. They elected not to return after the date of the January 2015 post...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (01-07-2017), Sarianna (01-06-2017)