Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Continuing and Adult Education
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Continuing and Adult Education Discuss college and continuing education.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:35 PM

Default I did it!

Just wanted to share my good news with everyone. Especially with those that did not finish school. I have been out of school for 10 years. I decided to take GED prep classes sometime in September. I studied so hard I use to make my head hurt lol. I took the practice GED test only a few weeks into the classes. I surprised myself because I passed EVERHTHING!!! So I decided to go ahead and register for the actual GED test in November. Since they're changing it in January 2014 I figured why not. And from what I've heard from everyone I've talked to its suppose to be a lot harder, so I was determined to pass the test this year. And since I've never taken it before I knew that if I failed any subject I'd have a chance to retest in December. Well I took the test on November 9 and found out I PASSED!!!! I didn't think I'd pass the math because that's what I had the most trouble with but all of my scores were pretty high! I guess I need to start having positive thoughts!! Anyway I just wanted to share my news. Now I have to think about what I want to go to college for. I hope this encourages those thinking about taking the test. Thanks for reading!!!

Last edited by MsBrown86; 12-07-2013 at 04:36 PM..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MsBrown86 For This Useful Post:
bellamagnolia (12-20-2013), Elizabeth817 (12-09-2013), Grad0507 (12-10-2013), happi (12-20-2013), miamac (12-07-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,839 Times in 11,078 Posts

Absolute congratulations to you! That's a great step to be able to take. Now, what about more?
Old 12-07-2013, 05:22 PM

Thank you very much! More? As in college?
Old 12-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,801 Times in 8,074 Posts

So very proud of you! Congratulations on your success and wishing you many more ahead.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2013, 06:04 PM

Thank you!!
Old 12-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Always Remembered

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

The 'what' of the more is up to you. Just don't stop now!
Old 12-07-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
The 'what' of the more is up to you. Just don't stop now!
Oh no there's no stopping now lol! I'm going to college!
Old 12-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Always Remembered

Donation Award 

Good girl!
Old 12-10-2013, 12:26 AM

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,264 Times in 1,546 Posts

Congratulations!! I know it can be sooo hard going back to school! If the 1986 is your birth year, then you're 1 year older than me. After high school, I went straight to college and failed it badly. Finally about another 6 or 7 years later, and after tons and tons of nagging from friends/family, I finally went back and I know just how good it feels. I'm glad you got your GED, it'll open up many more opportunities for you! I hope this helped give you more confidence in yourself and you better be feeling on top of this world! If you do decide to go to college, you got our support here! Good luck with whatever it is the future holds for you =)

GO CUBS GO!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to blah8705 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah8705 View Post
Congratulations!! I know it can be sooo hard going back to school! If the 1986 is your birth year, then you're 1 year older than me. After high school, I went straight to college and failed it badly. Finally about another 6 or 7 years later, and after tons and tons of nagging from friends/family, I finally went back and I know just how good it feels. I'm glad you got your GED, it'll open up many more opportunities for you! I hope this helped give you more confidence in yourself and you better be feeling on top of this world! If you do decide to go to college, you got our support here! Good luck with whatever it is the future holds for you =)
Thank you so much!! And yes that's the year I was born. Today is my birthday and I'm so thankful I was able to get my GED before my 27th bday....I'm happy I didn't put it off any longer. It feels really good!!! And it did give me A LOT of confidence. I will definitely go to college but I also don't wanna rush myself either. I have so much going on right now!! I will not put it off forever though. Thank you for the kinds words and support!!!!
Old 12-10-2013, 12:04 PM

Congratulations and Happy Birthday........you go girl!!!! If you're not sure what for or when you want to start college maybe you could just take a basic coarse here and there, like 1 class a semester and start getting them out of the way before you enter a full fledged program of study. May I suggest getting a coarse catalog from a local college and start looking at what the prereq's are for particular fields and start getting them out of the way. That way when you do enter a program with any luck you'll only have the core classes to take that are specific to that program and you'll have more time to be able to continue to work etc........just a thought........wishing you luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to D's baby For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's baby View Post
Congratulations and Happy Birthday........you go girl!!!! If you're not sure what for or when you want to start college maybe you could just take a basic coarse here and there, like 1 class a semester and start getting them out of the way before you enter a full fledged program of study. May I suggest getting a coarse catalog from a local college and start looking at what the prereq's are for particular fields and start getting them out of the way. That way when you do enter a program with any luck you'll only have the core classes to take that are specific to that program and you'll have more time to be able to continue to work etc........just a thought........wishing you luck!
Thank you!!! VERY good advice! I never thought of that! I really appreciate it!!! I will be sure to get the catalog from my local college. Thank you again!
The Following User Says Thank You to MsBrown86 For This Useful Post:
D's baby (12-10-2013)
Old 12-10-2013, 02:10 PM

You're welcome.....and there are also a lot of classes that are done on line so you can do the work when it fits your daily schedule and only actually attend a class here and there.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D's baby View Post
You're welcome.....and there are also a lot of classes that are done on line so you can do the work when it fits your daily schedule and only actually attend a class here and there.
That's actually what I wanna do! My son is autistic so his schedule is pretty crazy. It would be a lot better if I do it online.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:51 PM
Always Remembered

Donation Award 

There's a whole lot of course-work online. Choose a field, then look for a university that can accommodate you.

Don't forget, too, that a number of universities (including Harvard, I believe) have courses on-line that you can audit. That way, if you choose a field they have courses in, you can get a jump-start without the big bucks for enrolling.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:11 PM

Thank you all for the advice and support!!!
Old 12-20-2013, 07:58 AM

Way to go!
The Following User Says Thank You to bellamagnolia For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamagnolia View Post
Way to go!
Thank you!