Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Wasco State Prison (WSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Wasco State Prison (WSP) - California Topics & Discussions specific to Wasco State Prison located in Wasco, California.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:19 PM

My heart just broke. My husband saw his counselor and for some stupid reason he's not eligible to serve halftime like everyone else. He's going to do 85% of his sentence! I'm so pissed at his lawyer because he kept telling us it's a good deal, he'll only serve 50%. I'm so broken right now...I could handle another 6 months, but now I've got to wait more than a year to have him home?! I don't know how much more I can take
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2013, 02:11 PM
BB ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by escrappy818 View Post
My heart just broke. My husband saw his counselor and for some stupid reason he's not eligible to serve halftime like everyone else. He's going to do 85% of his sentence! I'm so pissed at his lawyer because he kept telling us it's a good deal, he'll only serve 50%. I'm so broken right now...I could handle another 6 months, but now I've got to wait more than a year to have him home?! I don't know how much more I can take
Sorry to hear the news but it can always be worst. I'm sure there's a reason why he's not eligible to serve halftime. You have to be strong for the both of you. Prayer always works!
Old 01-11-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seredipity View Post
Sorry to hear the news but it can always be worst. I'm sure there's a reason why he's not eligible to serve halftime. You have to be strong for the both of you. Prayer always works!
I wish I knew the reason. It just doesn't make sense to me. His case didn't sound much different from other cases I've seen and they got halftime. Just frustrated....was slightly getting my hopes up he wouldn't miss another Christmas with our kids. Then again, nothing about this has ever really gone as we'd hoped or expected so why should this be any different. *SMH* Guess it's single mommy for one more year.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:52 PM
taking a break

Quote:
Originally Posted by escrappy818 View Post
I wish I knew the reason. It just doesn't make sense to me. His case didn't sound much different from other cases I've seen and they got halftime. Just frustrated....was slightly getting my hopes up he wouldn't miss another Christmas with our kids. Then again, nothing about this has ever really gone as we'd hoped or expected so why should this be any different. *SMH* Guess it's single mommy for one more year.
If he is serving 85% then he has at least 2 prior strikes. Even if the crime is 50% because of his past history and enhancements then he has to serve the 85% if his strikes were not stricken.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiu Xiu View Post
If he is serving 85% then he has at least 2 prior strikes. Even if the crime is 50% because of his past history and enhancements then he has to serve the 85% if his strikes were not stricken.
He has no prior arrests or convictions for anything. This is his first offense and it wasn't counted as a strike at sentencing. His record was clean (maybe a couple traffic tickets that were all paid). He is a good man that made a stupid decision...so I don't know why we are getting punished
Old 01-11-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escrappy818
If I were you I would go to the court and get a copy of the minute orders from the case. So you can read for yourself exactly the sentencing in the case. It's a possibility that the crime was a strike and they struck the strike so he is only left with a felony instead of having a strike on his jacket which is such a horrible thing to have. I don't have a clue is too why but ask the lawyer once you go over the minutes so you are armed with a better understanding. I'm so sorry for your situation. It's not an abnormal circumstance for our men and loved ones to get trucked in the justice system. Knowledge is power even as a lay person you will be less likely to be railroaded if you do research on all aspects of the outcomes and voice your opinions to the lawyer so they can see you are aware of what can be done. And just to give a little background my man had racked up so many petty thefts that his last 2 bids were enhanced to burglary with priors so he did his halftime but was told next offense he would do more time. Well low and behold 6 months after getting out he picks up the exact same case. But this time I around I was not his woman but his advocate the DA was not having any other way than a strict sentence. But I spoke up and expressed and stressed to his PD that it is quite oblivious these prison terms are not working and that he has addiction and mental health issues and he needs help. Well the PD got his case sent to drug court even though no drugs were a factor, but it did factor in why he was thieving. The drug court was more understanding and we got him what was needed a program and a shot a rehabilitation. I pray it takes

Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk

Last edited by junglette247; 01-11-2013 at 08:59 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to junglette247 For This Useful Post:
escrappy818 (01-11-2013), LoveBug9 (01-11-2013), Sexyscorpio (12-31-2014)
Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglette247 View Post
If I were you I would go to the court and get a copy of the minute orders from the case. So you can read for yourself exactly the sentencing in the case. It's a possibility that the crime was a strike and they struck the strike so he is only left with a felony instead of having a strike on his jacket which is such a horrible thing to have. I don't have a clue is too why but ask the lawyer once you go over the minutes so you are armed with a better understanding. I'm so sorry for your situation. It's not an abnormal circumstance for our men and loved ones to get trucked in the justice system. Knowledge is power even as a lay person you will be less likely to be railroaded if you do research on all aspects of the outcomes and voice your opinions to the lawyer so they can see you are aware of what can be done. And just to give a little background my man had racked up so many petty thefts that his last 2 bids were enhanced to burglary with priors so he did his halftime but was told next offense he would do more time. Well low and behold 6 months after getting out he picks up the exact same case. But this time I around I was not his woman but his advocate the DA was not having any other way than a strict sentence. But I spoke up and expressed and stressed to his PD that it is quite oblivious these prison terms are not working and that he has addiction and mental health issues and he needs help. Well the PD got his case sent to drug court even though no drugs were a factor, but it did factor in why he was thieving. The drug court was more understanding and we got him what was needed a program and a shot a rehabilitation. I pray it takes

like I said, the charge that would have put a strike on his record was dismissed. His jacket was clean. It doesn't make sense. But like you said, I just have to read up. Not that me speaking up will do anything for him now, what's done is done. I don't want to cause him any problems, I just want him to get through this next year and come home to us safe and sound.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:02 AM
taking a break

It is possible to get 2 or even 3 strikes on your first offense. However you said it was not a strike. It can be an error on the CDCr side or even the minutes. You need to get copies and check what hecwascsentenced to. If its not 85% and should be 50% then that's where he's going to need your help.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escrappy818

like I said, the charge that would have put a strike on his record was dismissed. His jacket was clean. It doesn't make sense. But like you said, I just have to read up. Not that me speaking up will do anything for him now, what's done is done. I don't want to cause him any problems, I just want him to get through this next year and come home to us safe and sound.
He can appeal the sentence

(a) Appeal by a Defendant.— A defendant may file a notice of appeal in the district court for review of an otherwise final sentence if the sentence—
(1) was imposed in violation of law;
(2) was imposed as a result of an incorrect application of the sentencing guidelines; or
(3) is greater than the sentence specified in the applicable guideline range to the extent that the sentence includes a greater fine or term of imprisonment, probation, or supervised release than the maximum established in the guideline range, or includes a more limiting condition of probation or supervised release under section 3563 (b)(6) or (b)(11) [1] than the maximum established in the guideline range; or
(4) was imposed for an offense for which there is no sentencing guideline and is plainly unreasonable.

It's always worth a shot if it seems unjust the worst case scenario is a denial but it's not a waste of time cause he is doing time anyways might as well question if there is any errors I'd imagine

Old 01-12-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiu Xiu View Post
It is possible to get 2 or even 3 strikes on your first offense. However you said it was not a strike. It can be an error on the CDCr side or even the minutes. You need to get copies and check what hecwascsentenced to. If its not 85% and should be 50% then that's where he's going to need your help.
I would contact his PD for this information? Not excited, he hasn't been very 'helpful' to me recently. Ignoring phone calls and letters.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:03 PM

nevermind I think I figured it out. It makes sense to me now. Still sucks *SMH* but at least I understand why. Just a little disappointed that the PD didn't stress this info to my husband or to our family before the deal was made. That the only problem with PD...they have such an overloaded caseload that they are just happy to be able to get one off their plate. And sometimes it's the ill-informed that come out the loser. Guess that's my fault for not being more informed. But now that I know more I can hopefully advise other people in my situation.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:25 PM

Default Wasco State prison ques

Is Wasco usually just the reception hub? My boyfriend is serving half time so its about 10 months. Will he stay at Wasco, or most likely get transferred even for that short amount of time?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:34 PM
taking a break

Both. He can stay in reception and parole from there or he can transfer out too. All depends on the counselor, his security level, medical needs if any and a few other things
Old 02-16-2013, 12:11 AM
Donation Award 

Congrats to all of you that have seen....or are a step closer to seeing your "one". Mine has been there for 3 months & still no visit with his counselor. I just sent in my visitors app.......but I have a pending DUI that hasn't been taken care of yet. Does anyone know if this might affect my approval?
Old 03-15-2013, 04:36 PM

Default Transferred

Hey everyone! I hope you are all doing well. Well today I just got a letter from my baby (dated 3/13) saying he was getting transferred this past Thursday (3/14) to Tehachapi, CA. Which sucks cuz I was just about to go see him tomorrow. It just sucks cuz I recently got a job and now I have to wait until I know more about my schedule and have money start coming in before I can go see him again. So yeah...I hope things for you all work out soon. I wish you all luck.
since 3/18/2011

The Following User Says Thank You to LoveBug9 For This Useful Post:
Seredipity (03-15-2013)
Old 03-28-2013, 07:26 PM

Thumbs down Wasco state prison

IS IT JUST ME, OR IS IT OTHER PEOPLE WHO THINK THAT WASCO STATE PRISON IS PLAYING GAMES WITH ITS RECEPTION INMATES. THEY KEEP THEM IN THERE WAY TO LONG. THEY ARE LOW LEVELS LOCKED DOWN 23 HOURS A DAY WITH NO PHONE CALLS N RARE IF ANY VISITS. BY THE TIME THEY SEND THEM TO THE NEXT PRISON THEY DONT QUALIFY FOR ALOT OF CLASSES THAT REDUCES TIME BECAUSE BY THE TIME THEY WAIT ON THE WAITING LIST, IT IS TIME FOR THEM TO COME HOME OR THERE IS NOT ENOUGH TIME LEFT FOR THE CLASSES TO COUNT. THEY ALSO END UP NOT GETTING THEIR FAMILY VISITS ALTHOUGH THEY QUALIFY BECAUSE ONCE THEY LEAVE THERE IT IS TO CLOSE TO GETTING HOME TO GET THEM. I DONT KNOW SOMETHING STINKS ABOUT THEM
The Following User Says Thank You to hubbyrespect For This Useful Post:
uconley88 (10-27-2013)
Old 03-29-2013, 12:19 AM

Sooo true..It's like they want the inmates to go insane! If a person is in jail I'm aware there freedom is taken away but it does not mean they should be treated like a animal. Being locked away in a tiny room all day no phone calls delayed mail..not knowing what's goin on in the outside world would sure make me go nuts. It's not right..then the waiting to be seen and transferred is horrible, It's like they do things on there in time & its not fair at all.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:23 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,416 Times in 15,210 Posts

I guess the only thing you can think of to say positive is, well at least they are closer to coming home, which is way better than prison.
Yeah, reception stinks.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 03-29-2013, 06:29 PM
~Imperfection Is Beauty~

While in reception will i b able to search on cdcr inmate locator? Bby daddy left 3/19 county jail and till the date doesnt show up.. is it more then 1wk for system to post n e info.. thanx
Old 03-29-2013, 11:22 PM

Default Boyfriend just got transferred to prison

Hi . My man just did 10 months in county and got transferred to wasco reception center two days ago. How long would it be to find his inmate number on the Cdcr website? And is he able to send letters right away?
Old 03-30-2013, 03:51 AM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,737 Times in 7,282 Posts

You'll get better answers to this question in the Calfornia Forum. I'll move this thread there for you.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:19 AM

You can call the prison & they will give you his info.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:09 PM

My husband got transfered to wasco on 3/15 (a friday) and his number showed up on wednesday. I found his number on monday by putting his name in jpay. They already had him in that system though.

C-
Old 04-12-2013, 12:38 AM

Thanks everyone. his cdc # showed up on April 2nd I think it was. Now I got another problem. I keep trying to send him money on jpay.com and it keeps saying "this inmate is blocked from receiving transfers" has anyone had this problem? Is it just cuz he's new in reception? or some people say its cuz too many people are sending him money so the facility blocks him from having too many senders? if this is the case, oooo boy I'll mad...
Old 04-12-2013, 10:21 AM
BB ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepyslady View Post
Thanks everyone. his cdc # showed up on April 2nd I think it was. Now I got another problem. I keep trying to send him money on jpay.com and it keeps saying "this inmate is blocked from receiving transfers" has anyone had this problem? Is it just cuz he's new in reception? or some people say its cuz too many people are sending him money so the facility blocks him from having too many senders? if this is the case, oooo boy I'll mad...
I've never had this exact problem but it wouldn't allow me to send money this best way to find out is to call JPay and they'll tell you the exact problem.